RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2019, 11:24 PM   #1

Problems with getting campground cable!

Hi! I'm new to this forum - we have a Tiffin 32SA - its about 1 1/2 years old - we bought it new. We had a satellite installed and so far, when it can connect, we have had TV. However, when we can't get the satellite to connect (we are in Alaska and it quite frequently does not connect) we have been unable to get cable TV from the campground. I have tried everything I can think of - obviously we have plugged the coaxial cable into the RV - even tried both the ports of entry - one labelled cable and the other tripod! I have pushed both buttons behind the bedroom TV - cable/antenna. I have reset the channels MANY times - trying everything in every position. HELP!!!

AliceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 11:50 PM   #2

Did you ask the camp hosts if you need a cable box? Pretty typical these days to need one as they all switch from analog to digital. I'm using one here in Oregon now. Tiny box with it's own remote, goes between the outside cable connector and the BOMB (Box Of Many Buttons) 'Cable In' connector.

This park asked for a $100 cashiers check or money order before they gave me the cable box. I refused and pointed out that NO RV PARK DOES THAT! They relented and gave one to me for my personal $50 check that I'll get back when I turn in the box. Wow. In 15 years of full timing can't remember a time when a park asked for that kind of deposit.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:25 AM   #3

Coaxial cable in

I have not asked the campground if I need a cable box - I will do so tomorrow. In the meantime, I have a coaxial cable coming in which goes directly into the Wally (the Dish box). Should that go into something else? We have a fairly new RV and it should have everything installed that we need to get campground cable - I think!!!
AliceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:53 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
On mine you have to turn off the signal amplifier when using cable.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:18 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
First off welcome. I have to agree on the cable box. I have had to leave a $20 deposit before at some campgrounds but never more.

Good luck
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Yup, you probably need a cable box! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome!

You have two separate coax cables coming from the connections outside. The Tripod connection goes directly to the AV cabinet and is labeled tripod. Are you using a carryout satellite antenna or a roof mount? If you have a roof mount, then you will have two coax cables labeled Sat 1 and Sat 2. The tripod connection lets you switch to an exterior antenna when the roof is blocked.

Do your TVs work on Over the Air signals?

The Cable connection in the outside compartment goes to the OTA/Cable splitter amplifier switch. You said yours is in the cabinet behind the TV. Are you sure that's not an A/B switch that lets you change from Tripod to Roof antenna? In most Tiffin coaches the Antenna/Cable switch is located in a cabinet up front and will look like below after 2016. If you have tried everything; changing outside connections, switching from OTA to cable and re-scanning the TV channels then you may have a bad connection somewhere inside the coach. Pull the faceplate cover on the Antenna/Cable switch, disconnect the cable-in coax and connect a coax directly from there to the campground post. That will let you know if you have a bad cable inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OTA Switch.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	257385  
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know anything about Tiffin's wiring but I would think TRIPOD would be for an outside satellite dome which has nothing to do with the campground's cable. Normally the cable would connect to the input labeled CABLE. This connection is controlled by a push button on a wall plate like the one Lt Dan mentioned in post #7 above. You would select CABLE on that switch. This in turn routes the signal to your TV RF input. On your TV you would then go to SETTINGS and scan for TV channels. Once the TV is done scanning you should be able to watch TV.

I don't believe that any time would you connect the cable to your Wally. I don't use Dish, but think the Wally is just for satellite and maybe it has provisions for Over The Air transmission, but doubt it works for cable.

I have not encountered any place that requires a cable box recently but have been to a few places where cable just flat won't work and they have come out with their little TV (no cable box) and it works fine on that but not mine. At the next stop it will be OK, but when I revisit the CG that didn't work it still won't. Have no clue why.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiken rver View Post
I have not encountered any place that requires a cable box recently but have been to a few places where cable just flat won't work and they have come out with their little TV (no cable box) and it works fine on that but not mine. At the next stop it will be OK, but when I revisit the CG that didn't work it still won't. Have no clue why.
The campground may use digital cable, and your TV may not have a digital cable tuner (QAM). New TVs are only required to have digital OTA (ATSC) tuners, not QAM ones.

Tags
cable, campground, ems, problem, problems