Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
If it is doing its job shutting power off because of a problem then there should be a PE code that can be read immediately after the power comes back on.

You will not have any codes if the pedestal loses power completely such as a Black-Out. That's the same as turning the power off at the pedestal.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

If it's not showing a PE code and the pedestal never lost power, then you might have a floating neutral situation. In the case of open or floating neutral, the Progressive goes blank and there is no code. An open neutral is one of the most destructive faults that can occur. It might be worth a call to the Progressive 24 hour help line & discuss with a tech.

(919) 462-8280

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
I would believe in your PI unit before assuming that the unit is failing. Its likely doing exactly what you paid the big bucks for it to do.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #17

I have had intermittant PE2 (open ground) in several parks. All were fixed by the park maintenance folks tightening connections at the pedestal.

Open ground and low voltage have been most of the errors I have had in the last 3 years.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #18

Campdaven,
What do you do in the case of low voltage? We live in Texas, so it's too hot to live without AC.

Charlie
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
Campdaven,
What do you do in the case of low voltage? We live in Texas, so it's too hot to live without AC.

Charlie

We follow good weather. Dont mind an occasional drop out, like in Maine.
If I was in TX I would get an Hughes Autoformer to add before the P.I.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #20

Thanks, I'll look into it.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like 122 is a voltage not an error code, Error codes are in teh form of E-# where # is a single digit.

I'm using a competitor's product, WIsh I had a Progressive, will likely get one some day. They are the best.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:20 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
If I was in TX I would get an Hughes Autoformer to add before the P.I.
This is how I will wire mine in when I get the old Round Tuit and actually wire it in, Which reminds me of things I need to do today.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Charlie
I use the PowerMaster Voltage Booster VC-50. It was installed in 2010 and I have never been shut down for low voltage anywhere.

I heard recently that Todd Coffelt may have stopped making the PowerMaster units. The telephone number listed on his web site is no longer in service. I plan to email him to find out what the story is regarding his units.

If that's true then your only recourse is the Hughes Autoformer. I feel that the PowerMaster is far better than the Hughes Autoformer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Thanks, I'll look into it.

If you search on it you will learn more. Here is one http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/my-p...on-207941.html
Old 07-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Campdaven,

Charlie

As Campdaven said a Hughes Autoformer wll need you in good power if you frequent campgrounds with marginal power. When we started full timing, my wife gifted me with a Hughes for Christmas. After years of using it as a portable at the pedestal, I just hard wired it just before my Progressive.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 07-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #26

I have mine wired in the same sequence as Dr4Film. This year in Canada we had very cool weather and our usual problem of low voltage turned into a problem of high voltage. After several journeys to the pedestal in the middle of the night to take out the Power Master VC-50 booster, I finally left it out of the equation.

All shutdowns produced the E3 high voltage code and a few times it would not reset itself as the voltage must have remained over the top. The Power Master was showing 2 amber lights so it wasn't adding full boost, just enough to put it over the top.

I'm sure next year with a more crowded campground, higher temperatures, and more A/Cs running we will be back to needing the extra boost. All we have is access to 30 amp service and we are at the end of the line. Canadian power is inconsistent at best and there are times during outages when the whole resort has to switch over to their big generator power and that tends to be on the low side of 120. Guess it's a long-winded way of saying I am glad that I didn't hard wire the Power Master into the system. It isn't a perfect world when it comes to Canadian electricity, so we find ways to deal with it and try to go easy on our equipment.
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planocat View Post
I have mine wired in the same sequence as Dr4Film. This year in Canada we had very cool weather and our usual problem of low voltage turned into a problem of high voltage. After several journeys to the pedestal in the middle of the night to take out the Power Master VC-50 booster, I finally left it out of the equation.

All shutdowns produced the E3 high voltage code and a few times it would not reset itself as the voltage must have remained over the top. The Power Master was showing 2 amber lights so it wasn't adding full boost, just enough to put it over the top.

I'm sure next year with a more crowded campground, higher temperatures, and more A/Cs running we will be back to needing the extra boost. All we have is access to 30 amp service and we are at the end of the line. Canadian power is inconsistent at best and there are times during outages when the whole resort has to switch over to their big generator power and that tends to be on the low side of 120. Guess it's a long-winded way of saying I am glad that I didn't hard wire the Power Master into the system. It isn't a perfect world when it comes to Canadian electricity, so we find ways to deal with it and try to go easy on our equipment.

I don't know the Power Masters boost schedule but I'm surprised that it would start boosting at a voltage level that would put it over the Progressive high voltage limit. The Hughes is in standby at 118 VAC and then only boosts 2% until 116 VAC when it starts boosting 10%. I would have guessed that the Power Master used a very similar boost profile.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 07-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #28

I don't know Steve, maybe I'm reading the owner's manual wrong. From what I read, it is either boosting 2 1/2 % or 12 % as shown by the amber or red lights. I only know what I experienced and since my Power Master unit is 7 or 8 years old, it may be faulty. But I don't ever remember it not having 1 color or the other light illuminated.

Voltage fluctuation in Canada is something I have dealt with since my first motorhome trip in 1985. For many years I was oblivious to it. But that can be said about a lot of things in my life! LOL
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote