Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Q's regarding Dish Wally with external hard drive?

I have Traveler antenna with two Wally receivers. No hard drive, as of yet. With the hard drive / DVR function enabled what can be done?

Record just one TV channel while watching another, correct?
Is there a Prime Time recording feature like with Hopper?
Other capabilities?

Thanks!
Vince
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2017, 03:43 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have Traveler antenna with two Wally receivers. No hard drive, as of yet. With the hard drive / DVR function enabled what can be done?
Other capabilities?
Thanks!
Vince
The Wally just has one tuner, so you can't record one channel and watch another, except if you have the OTA tuner. I have two Wallies with hard drives and have both set up where I can watch either one from any TV. If we want to watch one show and record another, I just record it on the other Wally. I have a solid state 250 gig hard drive on each one and they work without an external power supply. Since they have no moving parts the power draw is minimal.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:10 AM   #3

Quote:

Other capabilities?

Thanks!
Vince
Wally does not have the same "Prime time" feature as hopper. Also there is no Dish Anywhere functionality. As Lt Dan (life is like a box of chocolates, Lt Dan) says, you can watch an OTA channel (assuming you add the OTA usb dongle) while recording a satellite channel (or a satellite local channel).
BTW the dongle has been hard to come by. I recently paid $56 on Amazon then found them at Lazydays store in Tampa for $42.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:16 AM   #4

To clarify, the 2 Wallys can only see the same satellite. So, you can watch any channel on the same satellite while the other Wally records on that same satellite.

The other feature that is enabled with the hard drive is instant replay.

I have 2 receivers with 2 hard drives enabled .... paid 1 activation fee.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:24 AM   #5

Dongle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Wally does not have the same "Prime time" feature as hopper. Also there is no Dish Anywhere functionality. As Lt Dan (life is like a box of chocolates, Lt Dan) says, you can watch an OTA channel (assuming you add the OTA usb dongle) while recording a satellite channel (or a satellite local channel).
BTW the dongle has been hard to come by. I recently paid $56 on Amazon then found them at Lazydays store in Tampa for $42.
Just starting to look at satellite systems, why a dongle? I thought I could just use my existing ant for ota (that is over the air?) on a different input?
Off subject, but thanks
Old 08-02-2017, 07:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Just starting to look at satellite systems, why a dongle? I thought I could just use my existing ant for ota (that is over the air?) on a different input?
Off subject, but thanks
The dongle allows you to receive the OTA channels via your batwing AND record them if you so choose AND simplify life using one remote all through the Dish interface. No need to change inputs and fiddle with 2 remotes..
Your way works if you don't want to record AND want to play with 2 remotes AND not have a guide in the Wally for those channels. Just makes it a little easier.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #7
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Off subject, but thanks
Just to add and as already said, you can use the OTA antenna to watch locals by switching inputs on your tv. Not a big deal in the scheme of things but by adding the dongle it just makes it easier. On our 211z's I just tell it to scan for local OTA channels and it downloads them into the program guide, highlighted in yellow. Only one remote to find that way.

Any opinions on which is best, the Wally or the older 211z. I assume there must be some differences.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #8

The Wally remote is RF, the 211z is IR. RF is much more better!
Old 08-02-2017, 04:51 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Any opinions on which is best, the Wally or the older 211z. I assume there must be some differences.
I've had 211k, 211z, and Wally. The Wally is compact, runs cool, has the newer user interface, and RF remote. Plus it just works better, imho.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:49 AM   #10

Quote:
I've had 211k, 211z, and Wally. The Wally is compact, runs cool, has the newer user interface, and RF remote. Plus it just works better, imho.
Agreed on all counts. I had the 211k and upgraded to the Wally. Much better unit all around. The downside was the 211k had the built in tv tuner. The Wally has an optional OTA usb tuner. But well worth it IMO.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:28 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
To clarify, the 2 Wallys can only see the same satellite. So, you can watch any channel on the same satellite while the other Wally records on that same satellite.
This is true for a dome antenna, but the OP and I have Trav'ler antennas which have three LNBs and can see all three satellites at once. We routinely watch different channels on separate satellites.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks all.

Picked up a 512GB SSD from Costco for $99. Plugged it into a Wally, called Dish Network as promoted on the screen. After a couple three minutes it was working. If nothing else great to be able to pause and backup live TV.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:56 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I currently have two 211z through a traveler antenna. Works great, but would like the features of a pair of Wally's. I read here on the forum and confirmed with a Dish Tech that the 211's are more forgiving if you have only partial satellite signals (say you are way up in north Canada or stuck behind a mountain) and that the Wally will not lock if it doesn't see all three satellites. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks
Old 08-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #14

The Wally's have had a software update so needing three sats seems to be an issue of the past.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish