RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
cbb

New RV has the KVH R4 installed. It appears the HD programming from
DTV is not an option. I'm not a fan of Dish Network, so my question
is what is the best quality reception I can get to complement my
home theatre setup. Thanks CBB......

Beagles Riley & Megan
cbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
cbb

New RV has the KVH R4 installed. It appears the HD programming from
DTV is not an option. I'm not a fan of Dish Network, so my question
is what is the best quality reception I can get to complement my
home theatre setup. Thanks CBB......

Beagles Riley & Megan
Old 02-01-2008, 05:59 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">so my question is what is the best quality reception I can get to complement my
home theatre setup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Could you clarify your question? You can't get DTV HD and you don't like the Dish Net. option. That only leave whatever signal you can get from your Batwing antenna or replacing your dome with one of the MotoSAT or Winegard multi-head open face dish to receive the DTV HD programming.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
cbb

Bill, I think I may have to reconsider Dish Network. We had a poor experience with them
about 5 years ago. Or upgrade from the existing
KVH dome. Thanks CBB

Beagles Riley & Megan
Old 02-04-2008, 05:56 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There are a couple of separate issues here: (1) the dish, (2) the satellite receiver and (3) the stations you want to watch and (4) the tv itslef

The R4 dish itself doesn't know or care about HDTV - it just gathers in the satellite signal from the selected satellite and passes it to the receiver. It will gather and pass an HD signal as well as SD, but it only does it for Ku band satellites (more on this later).

The receiver must be HDTV compatible to handle an HDTV signal, so you may want to replace the receiver with an HD model

The stations you watch may or may not be broadcast in HD and will vary in their quality (resolution) according to the station. Neither DirectV nor Dish has any control over that.

Your tv has an inherent resolution capability. It cannot display more resolution than it was designed for. Standard tvs can do 480i and newer ones (widescreens) can usually do at least 720p. The tv may accept higher resolutions (e.g. 1080i) but then map them to its lesser actual res.

When the tv system goes digital next February, "standard" tv broadcasts will be digitized 480i resolution. Some stations may broadcast higher resolutions, i.e. HD.

Direct has reallocated some of their HD-only channels to satellites that your R4 may not be able to tune, e.g. Ka band satellites. You won't be able to receive any station that DTV distributes from that satellite. Other stations will remain on Ku band (e.g. the 101 satellite) and you will get whatever resolution those are broadcast in by the originating station.

So you probably don't wont to sign up for DTV extra cost HD service cause you won't receive everything you pay for.

What is unclear at this point is what the major networks will be broadcasting as their standard digital fare starting in February 2009. It is at least 480i, but will some shows be at higher resolutions? Today, if you have a tv with an ATSC tuner and tune to a digital channel, you often get higher resolution than 480i. If that continues in the future, you will indeed be seeing HD on major network television.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
cbb

Gary, thanks for the reply. We are just down the road from you here in Orlando. We are going to have a lot more time to travel with-in 5 months.
I'll wait and see what people are using and make a decision them. Thanks again... CBB

Beagles Riley & Megan
Old 02-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #7

In this topic, the issue is just the dome DirecTV and HDTV. In that case it's not really multiple issues, only one. You can't pick up the new KA band satellite (103) or the soon to be launched 2nd KA band satellite (99) with a dome. DTV has moved nearly all of there HD programming off the KU band and to get any amount of HD you just cannot use a dome with DTV.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:49 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What ever happened to the day of a rabbit ears with aluminum foil sitting on top the TV set??? All this KU & KA & satellites, sure was easier back then with only 2 channels...now back to the ball game.

offshore is offline   Reply With Quote