Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
YC1

Rand McNally operational tip

Trying to use my prescription polarized sunglasses the screen on the Good Sams Rand McNally is impossible to see.

The screen with my normal glasses is really not as bright as it should be or could be. I have heard this complaint before and deal with it. Not being able to see it with my sunglasses made it useless. I had to switch glasses to use it.

Going back to my High School physics theory on light polarization it dawned on me to try and turn the GPS.

Turning it 90 degrees instantly allows the light to come through the polarized glasses.

I can see the screen with much less than 90 degrees turn so it is now usable again.

I can't be the first person to discover this issue.

If anyone is using the app Waze, wouldn't it be great to combine the features of the RV Rand unit. But they need to fix the poor resolution screen and brightness,.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 09:17 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rand now has a tablet version RV Tablet that you can also run Waze on, however it is a bit pricey.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Myron, I have a RM RVND7710. I have it set for "High Contrast" and maximum brightness and rarely have a problem seeing it. Have you tried that?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:37 AM   #4
YC1

Thanks guys, I have turned the brightness all the way up. I will fiddle with the contrast. I think I have but you know how things go.

I kind of put the tablet idea out of my mind for awhile. It would be nice to combine the Rand software, Waze traffic information, and my talk show app all in one.

I will fiddle with the contrast today.

I do not own a tablet yet. Can multiple apps be placed side by side by side? On my phone I have to change pages so can only have one app showing.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:42 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You'll be amazed at how much difference it will make setting it to high contrast!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #6
YC1

Joe, I think you nailed it. The "high contrast" you are referring to is one of three selections. I had tried those before but probably did not go back and turn the brightness up all the way after making that change.

I have been setting the brightness all the way up but discovered last night that it was back to the mid range again. It was night so testing the sunglasses was not as good of a test but it indeed made a huge difference. I can still turn it 90 degrees and it even gets brighter with the polarized glasses but overall it is a vast improvement.

Sheesh, this is my second Rand because my first one fell from the mount and broke the screen. I bought this later model one and have always been a bit disappointed at the screen brightness. I almost started using the old one after replacing the screen.

For those that don't have one of these, the "contrast" is not adjustable on the brightness screen. However, if you select night mode there is an adjustment. Go figure. Not the least bit confusing of course.