Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Just used mine from Anchorage, AK to Middletown, Ohio. It told us about sharp curves and steep hills. Sometimes the sharp curves were not so sharp but it was on the money about steep hills.

The find CG database was accurate. And for the Walmart campers it has quick route features to Walmart as well as other popular RV places.

4800 miles allowed us to play with most of the features. I liked the multi leg trip planning feature the best. Allowed us to put in all our planned stops at one time.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #30

Stopped in at local camping world yesterday to check on pricing for anew GPS. They showed me a Magellen unit with a 7" screen model #PRO9165T. Anyone have any experience or info on this. Their price was $269. Price for the RM RVND5510 was $359. Price usually tells the story, but thought I would get other opinions. Thx
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS30 View Post
Stopped in at local camping world yesterday to check on pricing for anew GPS. They showed me a Magellen unit with a 7" screen model #PRO9165T. Anyone have any experience or info on this. Their price was $269. Price for the RM RVND5510 was $359. Price usually tells the story, but thought I would get other opinions. Thx
Are you sure about the models and pricing? Website shows the RVND 7710 and the 9165T priced at $359.99. The RVND 5510 is at $269.99.
http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...y&Nty=1&Ntpc=1
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #32

Sorry about the price mix up. Became very confused shopping for this item. Settled on the latest and hopefully greatest, the RVND 7710. Ordered it from Camping World online at $385 which included shipping. It was supposed to be on back order til 10/28, but we received it on 10/20, the day we left for trip to North Ga. It seems to be what I was looking for, but the wife is going thru a learning curve on this one. One issue I seem to have is that this and other GPS units always want to take you on the original roads thru town, instead of using bypasses that have been constructed around a lot of smaller towns.
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #33

more Rand McNally info

The only complaint we have with our RVND5510 is the 5" screen size, when mounted on the windshield in our diesel pusher it is a long way from the passenger seat. On a 90 mile trip this Wednesday, we moved the unit to the passenger side window after removing the window screen and it worked perfectly!! I will wire in a 12 volt plug in and now the "NAGIVATOR" can run the system from her chair. I did not think the system would work without an open view of the sky, but it does and the sound bounces off the window and can be heard clearly by the driver also. This may work with other brands so give it a try. DACOTAH
Dacotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #34

I have the RVND7710 model, which I've had now for about 6-8 months, and the only thing that I don't really care for is when I'm trying to plan a custom route; e.g. a specific routing. If you put the route in via the city, it will actually direct you through the city. It's not easy to do the route using intersections of, say interstates, and state roads that intersect with the interstate. I wish ALL GPS units operated like Google maps online, where once it's picked a route, you can just drag the route and change it to the way that you prefer to go, and only have the GPS change it or warn you if there is a low-overhead problem, or steep grade, etc.
bigcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcritter View Post
I have the RVND7710 model, which I've had now for about 6-8 months, and the only thing that I don't really care for is when I'm trying to plan a custom route; e.g. a specific routing. If you put the route in via the city, it will actually direct you through the city. It's not easy to do the route using intersections of, say interstates, and state roads that intersect with the interstate. I wish ALL GPS units operated like Google maps online, where once it's picked a route, you can just drag the route and change it to the way that you prefer to go, and only have the GPS change it or warn you if there is a low-overhead problem, or steep grade, etc.
Agreed. If Google ever decides to get into the GPS device business I'll be there!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #36

Question RVND 5510 Start Up Questions

I currently have a Garmin Nuvi 2360 and have had several other Garmin auto GPSr in the past. However, I'm looking at the RVND 5510 for my truck. My current trailer is much higher than my previous one and when I had had it only one day, I came close to taking off the AC unit on the roof going under a RR underpass in Casper, WY. Low clearance alerts are useful, I learned, as well as steep hills, etc. I've been reading the 5510 owner's manual and have a few questions regarding start up/initialization.

1. Startup routine - There seem to be several screens that pop up when starting up the device. Can any of this be modified or controlled? Can you personalize any of the start up screens with photos, etc.?

2. Does it take a long time for the map to come up when first starting up the device? My Garmin map sometimes seems to take forever to load.

3. If connected to an ignition-switch powered 12V outlet, will the device automatically power up when the ignition is turned on? Or do you have to press the power button everytime you start the vehicle? My Garmin will start up immediately when the ignition is turned on and if I leave it alone eventually the map will display. This is a nice convenience.

I'll probably have more questions, but this will do it for now. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #37

Just recd the 7710 in the last few days from Camping World, It has a lot of stuff on it and I really like the way it routes you away from Low Bridges and Propane prohibitions when in RV Mode. I really haven't had it out on a trip yet but I do notice that it is really slow on calculating routes and finding POI's. Time will tell how well it works on a real trip.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=Mycopsycho;1154946]
1. Startup routine - There seem to be several screens that pop up when starting up the device. Can any of this be modified or controlled? Can you personalize any of the start up screens with photos, etc.?

2. Does it take a long time for the map to come up when first starting up the device? My Garmin map sometimes seems to take forever to load.

3. If connected to an ignition-switch powered 12V outlet, will the device automatically power up when the ignition is turned on? Or do you have to press the power button everytime you start the vehicle? My Garmin will start up immediately when the ignition is turned on and if I leave it alone eventually the map will display. This is a nice convenience.

[QUOTE]

1) None that I have found.

2) 45 seconds from power on to main menu where you can select Map mode (with one tap to accept legal stuff.)

3) Power button is required. No autostart.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsc View Post
Anybody tried the new Rand McNally 5510 RV GPS looking to upgrade my Garmin Nuvi 350, I like that you can specify the height weight etc of your coach for true truck routing, I recently had to replace my dome from a meeting with a low bridge, any comments appreciated
I have the RV7710 model, and yes, you can specify height & weight & length, it just won't make any difference whatsoever. It'll still put you on curvy mountain 2-lane roads when there's a much better route with a perfectly good interstate whose route is even SHORTER. It'll also take you down 2-lane roads with low clearances regardless of what you have programmed into the GPS, and NO PLACE to turn around!!! :>( If you've already had a "meeting with a low bridge", certainly DON'T count on this unit to prevent that from happening in the future!!! :>(
bigcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #40

Quote:
It'll also take you down 2-lane roads with low clearances regardless of what you have programmed into the GPS, and NO PLACE to turn around!!! :>( If you've already had a "meeting with a low bridge", certainly DON'T count on this unit to prevent that from happening in the future!!! :>(
Interesting. On our way to our current location we did some back road travel. Our 5510 model twice warned us about low weight limits and once about a low clearance. Without using a cumbersome book, we would have not known about these issues.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I too have had no problem with it recognizing the height/weight etc.

Bigcritter, do you have yours set for "RV mode" or "Car mode"? If in Car it won't use the settings. Also, you can adjust your route preferences to emphasize freeways and avoid side roads, which makes a difference when it builds the routes.

And of course, it's only as good as the data. If the low bridge you encountered isn't in the database it won't program around it.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote