Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

Rand McNally RV GPS for iPad

I know this product is new but wondering if any of you have made the purchase ? I was thinking it would look pretty nice on a iPad mini.

Cost is $100 for the app and around $130 for the GPS receiver. So $230 and a iPad and you have a nice GPS that can be used for other uses.

Supposed to do everything that the 7720 does.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
I know this product is new but wondering if any of you have made the purchase ? I was thinking it would look pretty nice on a iPad mini.

Cost is $100 for the app and around $130 for the GPS receiver. So $230 and a iPad and you have a nice GPS that can be used for other uses.

Supposed to do everything that the 7720 does.
Note, some flavors of the IPAD (it's been a while since I've bought one) come with an internal GPS. I know on the IPAD I, it's the 3G versions. The internal GPS works great, I use the IPAD for in-flight navigation on an airplane...

Looking at the apple store - there are few reviews. 2 are 4-5 stars. The 3rd review is 1 star as that person couldn't get it to work with a mini-Ipad.

Here's another review:
Positive: Rand McNally iPad GPS - Forest River Forums

Note, when we travel via car, we sometimes use the IPAD for navigation. In that case, we just tether it to the data plan on my phone - or sometimes if we're going to be gone a while, we activate the data plan on the IPAD itself (about $40/mo). Then we can use Google Maps.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Personally to me purchasing an iPad, then gps receiver and software far outweighs the price of a good all around stand alone GPS system. With that said, we have a new iPad, 128Gb, and it has the google maps. That is as good a GPS as I have seen. We have not bee on-the-road in the RV with it yet but the other day I was the navigator in my DW's car and I fired it up. I was really impressed on the accuracy of the location. When we came to a stop light the indicator was right at the intersection. We have the 4G/wifi model.

I'll still use my TomTom GoLive for my travels, but DW sits in the Navigator seat and if she tells me to turn ahead, I get ready to turn. I still wear pants.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:05 AM   #4

Thanks for all the detailed replies.

I just do not know if I want to go with the 3G model. That is why I was thinking the external GPS receiver. Since we do not full or part time (still working) I do not think I want to activate the data plan every time we go on a trip.
With the GPS receiver I could use it any time.

I sent a question to Rand McNally to see if it can be used on the iPad mini.

All the other functions of the GPS software look very useful when traveling.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
T
I just do not know if I want to go with the 3G model. That is why I was thinking the external GPS receiver. Since we do not full or part time (still working) I do not think I want to activate the data plan every time we go on a trip.
I'm not sure you understand the nature of the 3G (or 4G) models.
Our IPAD does not have an active data plan. We use it in the plane almost every flight. The GPS is not subscription dependent. That is, for the additional cost of the 3g/4g model, you get built in GPS that can be used without a data plan. To me, it's worth it for not having to manage another device. The other advantage is that most external GPS' are linked to the IPAD via bluetooth, which requires additional battery drain.

Choose the one that works for you, but I just wanted to make sure you understood that you can use GPS w/o data.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #6

I wish I could buy you lunch. You explained that very well.

So my best option is to get the wifi / cellular model. Great ! Thanks for clarifying that.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
RV GPS

I became the owner of a GPS enabled iPod. Liked the idea of downloading the Rand Mcnally 7720 software.

I paid my money to iTunes and began the 6 hr. download (1.7 GB) on my little bit slow, rural internet. Turns out the initial download is an outdated version and needs an update. Can't use the program if it has a pending update. The update was another 6 hours (1.5 GB) of download. RM claims map updates about once a year.

Now it is capable of working. I am not the sharpest computer operator driving DP. The software came without any sort of manual. The program is not totally operator intuitive.

I googled RM 7720. Found a site with a 7720 manual in PDF. Now I am making progress. I think the iPad is going to work out real well now. Seems to have lots of good features. Of course there is a bit of a steep learning curve to get it all together. I am studying the manual.

Now I am trying to find something to use as a mount. The class A dash is a ways away and the iPad is 1.5lbs. Probably need to be parked to do much to the unit besides watch it anyway. It's not nearly as user friendly as my Voice Activated Garmin which answers to "Myrtle".

I don't have a subscription to a service yet and may not need one. The unit comes with a lot of P.O.I's. CG's, Walmarts, Flying J, and what have you. Should be well worth the $100 (not counting Ipad).
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #8

Thanks for everyones information. They responded to my face book post and said it will work on the iPad mini and with the cellular model (but service inactive) it will work.

The jury is still out.

Now to decide, iPad mini or regular iPad.