Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWSnow View Post
I just bought the app, and it worked for about 10 operations just loading destinations in the address book etc. then it would crash and each time you reloaded it it would display the splash screen for 30 second and crash again. According to the reviews I am not the only one seeing this problem on my LTE iPad Mini. I contacted rand McNally and they know about the problem and have been working one the problem since the current release came out in Sept 2012! Maybe they will have fixed this decade.

I contacted Apply asked for my money back.

Same thing happened to us. We were using a new Cellular iPad Air 64gig. We couldn't get past the splash screen. A Rand McNally rep told me they are aware of the problem but could not provide an ETA for the fix. Apple provided a refund of the $99.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #44

Highly recommend RM for the iPad

We have a WiFi only iPad. The RV GPS works beautifully! With that said, we did have to add a few items. "Bad Elf" GPS plugs into the iPad,(available from Amazon) and a iPad Dock (held in place on our dash with "Quake Hold") we have a big screen GPS.
Conny51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
I've been using my Ipad RM GPS for about 20,000 miles. I love it.

You do need the 3G/4G ipad. Only because those are the only units which contain a GPS.

Once you download the program the Nav program is totally self contained except for the gps satellite signal. All the maps & POI's are stored in the ipad. About 6 - 7 gigs. The program, when you buy it, includes life-time updates. If you want weather capability, then you need a cell signal from AT&T or Verizon.

The program is not as user friendly as the Garmin I had before, but once you get it figured out, it's worth every penny.

My last GPS was a small Garmin witch worked great but had such a tiny little screen. The cockpit in the MH is so big, it was hard to find a mounting location close enough to the wheel to see it. The BIG ipad screen is wonderful.

Keith
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #46

You do not need a 3G/4G ipad. The Bad Elf will supply GPS information to any blue tooth device within about 30 FT
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #47

We just did a 1000 mi trip last week and it worked great. I think it's very user friendly too. We use a wifi only ipad with a bad elf gps and no 3G/4g.

2013 Newmar Ventana 3634
gmpartsvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps