RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2015, 06:43 AM   #1

Rand McNally RVND 7735-LM

My new camping world master catalog has a new Rand McNally GPS. Does anyone have any experience with the 7735 or know the difference between it and the the 7730?

$349.99 with $297 price for Good Sam members + a $10 discount sticker.

Amazon shows lower customer satisfaction responses for the 7730 compared to Magellan and Garmin, but I'm considering the new 7735 just because the company cared enough to have a commercial member here that responds to questions.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
George, I have the older 7720 RM unit, I find it just as good as Garmin, providing you do the updates as they come along. Updates are the main reason users complain about bad routing, of course I always review GPS routing prior to starting a route.

I am happy with the information RM provides and find it easier to access information "On the fly" compared to Garmin.

Fred

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #3

Pretty sure the only difference between the 7730 and 7735 is the branding. The 7730 is a "Rand McNally" and the 7735 is a "Good Sam powered by Rand McNally" with each having the appropriate company logo/name on the GPS frame and documentation. Did the same thing with the 7720 and 7725. I believe all the features are the same. If you go here you can download the manuals for each and compare...

RV GPS Support - Rand McNally
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #4

emiddleb, thanks to you and Fred and Bonnie for your information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Pretty sure the only difference between the 7730 and 7735 is the branding. The 7730 is a "Rand McNally" and the 7735 is a "Good Sam powered by Rand McNally" with each having the appropriate company logo/name on the GPS frame and documentation. Did the same thing with the 7720 and 7725. I believe all the features are the same. If you go here you can download the manuals for each and compare...

RV GPS Support - Rand McNally
Old 03-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #5

I have owned the 3375 since 9/14. No map updates since purchase and when Apple updated the OS X to Yosemite, RM didn't have a clue. I also run Parallel on my Mac so was able to run it in Windows. I would not purchase it again and would purchase Garmin's RV unit instead.
sunsetryder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #6

I bought the 7720 a few years back,then bought the 7730,would not come up to speed,h=kept getting flashing ,lined screens.FOLLOWED rand's tech inputs.to no success.
Returned it, got a refurbished one still no good.Still would not work properly,i returned it and asked for a NEW one.
took a long time so i called,got a VERY NASTY,RUDE,customer service person on the line.He said you get what we send you,you can't call here and demand anything,VERRY rude.
"
IWILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER RAND MCNALLY PRODUCT"

hE WAS EXCEPTIONALLY RUDE.

RAY STOOKSBURY
Ray Stooksbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have a random McNally 7720 that I've had for several years. It does everything that I need the GPS to do. You have to make sure to have it updated.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:49 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
I have the 7710. When it works, it's great. When it works. Power cuts out. Have had 3 different plugs. Sent back to RM. They returned it and get the same problem. Is there. a "best" gps out there for RV's? I know Garmin is good, but which one? HELP PLEASE!!,
Old 03-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had a 7710 since they came out. I prepurchased mine. I had a problem with the power cable shorting out after i had it for a couple of years. I did not worry about it. I just took a cigarette lighter to USB adapter which I have for cell phones anyway. I just plugged the proper usb to mini usb adapter into the lighter adapter and the 7710 and went along. After about 4 years of me forgetting to plug it in or moving it and pulling the plug out the battery finally got tired of being totally dead. The battery got to the point where it would only stay charged for about 5 minutes. I just kept it plugged in and used it. Finally after years of use the last update caused the computer to lock up. I spoke to rand mcnally and they are fixing the software problem for me.

I do not know about anyone else and I will sure testify that it has route problems like every GPS out there ( read my posts about the 1500 dollar built in GPS problems on my enclave or the 3000.00 built in GPS on my Porsche that did not show streets that had been in A Town for over 30 years) When you compare it to the problems I have had with built in GPS units it works very very much better for a lot less money.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:51 AM   #10

I ordered the RM 7735, and will post results if it arrives in time for a trip starting this weekend.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:23 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the 7720 and I keep it updated and have had little to no problems. I have had it for two years and driven 24k miles with it. I had a Garmin for a while and did not like it. I would buy another RM, nice unit, LARGE DISPLAY, easy to read.
Les
goldviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:06 AM   #12

We used RM's RV model for two years and recently replaced it with the Garmin RV model. Had two 12v charging cords go out, the first failing after 10 months, but RM replaced it promptly. Second one failed after 8 months. We used the 110v charger after that. Maps had quite a few errors, but were usually minor. Touch screen was a little stubborn.

Haven't used the Garmin enough to evaluate the map accuracy, but it doesn't seem to have as many campgrounds (or other locations) in it's database. The upcoming services option is kind of neat though. Our Garmin did not include a 110v charger, however the 12v charger is much more robust, more like a laptop charger than a simple USB type cord.

Bottom line is I would still be using the RM if I hadn't had the problems with the chargers and seen from others it is a common problem.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
We used RM's RV model for two years and recently replaced it with the Garmin RV model. Had two 12v charging cords go out, the first failing after 10 months, but RM replaced it promptly. Second one failed after 8 months. We used the 110v charger after that. Maps had quite a few errors, but were usually minor. Touch screen was a little stubborn.

Haven't used the Garmin enough to evaluate the map accuracy, but it doesn't seem to have as many campgrounds (or other locations) in it's database. The upcoming services option is kind of neat though. Our Garmin did not include a 110v charger, however the 12v charger is much more robust, more like a laptop charger than a simple USB type cord.

Bottom line is I would still be using the RM if I hadn't had the problems with the chargers and seen from others it is a common problem.
I am curious why you let a charger problem be the deciding factor. My 7710 and i assume all of the following models use a standard Mini USB connector. You can buy a 12 volt power plug ( cigarette lighter adapter) everywhere. Then just plug a standard USB to mini usb cable and plug it into that. We are talking less than 10.00. I actually use the dual usb plug adapter and plug my cell phone and my RM into it. With that easy a fix why are you worried about charger failures.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetryder2 View Post
I have owned the 3375 since 9/14. No map updates since purchase and when Apple updated the OS X to Yosemite, RM didn't have a clue. I also run Parallel on my Mac so was able to run it in Windows. I would not purchase it again and would purchase Garmin's RV unit instead.
Transposition s/b 7735 and not 3375. I still stand by my comment that I would purchase the Garmin RV product instead of a RM unit. Better customer service, technology and units. I have owned multiple GPS units for 20 years (all Garmin units before the RM 7735).

sunsetryder2 is offline   Reply With Quote