RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rand McNally RVND7

Hi,

January 5th we ordered a Rand McNally RVND7. After driving about 400 miles it quit giving us the current speed.

Spent a long time waiting on the phone 47 mins and then several days of messing around and through their on-line hook up system that got fixed.

Next time we used it, the upper right hand corner did not work. Want to enter a new address, not able to. Only had 10 addresses in it. Called again and waited for long time again. Recording said if this is wrong with the unit try this, if this is wrong, Rand is working on that and will notify you when they have a fix

Contacted them again and had to send the unit back in. Read all instructions included with the e-mail.

We sent the GPS back in, in the original box and with the manual. When returned the box and manual were missing.

Sent an e-mail, no response. Called and talked to them and they said the e-mails said NOT to return in box or with cords or mount. They returned the cords and mount but not the box (that I keep to store it in) and not the manual.

I checked all e-mails and there is NOTHING in about not returning in the box or with cords and manuals. Now they send the e-mail with that note but we checked all previous e-mails and it was NOT there.

Just letting you know that if you return anything to Rand to NOT send your original equipment or you will not get it back.

Lynne

beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Hi,

January 5th we ordered a Rand McNally RVND7. After driving about 400 miles it quit giving us the current speed.

Spent a long time waiting on the phone 47 mins and then several days of messing around and through their on-line hook up system that got fixed.

Next time we used it, the upper right hand corner did not work. Want to enter a new address, not able to. Only had 10 addresses in it. Called again and waited for long time again. Recording said if this is wrong with the unit try this, if this is wrong, Rand is working on that and will notify you when they have a fix

Contacted them again and had to send the unit back in. Read all instructions included with the e-mail.

We sent the GPS back in, in the original box and with the manual. When returned the box and manual were missing.

Sent an e-mail, no response. Called and talked to them and they said the e-mails said NOT to return in box or with cords or mount. They returned the cords and mount but not the box (that I keep to store it in) and not the manual.

I checked all e-mails and there is NOTHING in about not returning in the box or with cords and manuals. Now they send the e-mail with that note but we checked all previous e-mails and it was NOT there.

Just letting you know that if you return anything to Rand to NOT send your original equipment or you will not get it back.

Lynne
That's not a very good testimony about the quality of their product. I have an older model and it seems to work fine. I'm sorry you are having so much trouble.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Jayco Owners Club
I had the same model and it lasted two weeks and died. Sent it back, only the unit as I talked to someone at Rand. Received the new one. First, the maps are typically 18 months behind as an interchange near where I live took that long to update. Also, it will take you down roads that are not appropriate for big rigs; two lane twisty roads where straight highways would work. I run a car Garmin next to the Rand and it takes us down more RV suitable roads.
thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I bought a RVND7 at a Camping World early this year and had the same issues. There was an update to the GPS sat navigation system operateded by the US Government that triggered the problem with the RVND7s, the GPS in the RVND7 can't handle the change that was made to GPS. Unfortunately, the regular updates that you can get with the Rand McNally Dock are not able to fix this problem.

Good news - there's a fix that they gave me that worked. You power up your RVND7 with a micro SD card inserted with Rand McNally provided files that patches the unit's low level software and or firmware and all is well after that.

How do you get the fix? You have to call the Rand McNally toll free support number and they set up a support session where they help you create the SD card with the fix and help you install the fix. You need a decent internet connection for this way to work. You also have to have a 8 GB micro-SD card that can be erased and loaded with the fix. Your computer they are supporting you on needs to be able to take the micro-SD card, either using a SD card slot with adapter, or a USB dongle that has a SD card slot.

Or, you tell them you want send the unit in and they do the whole thing for you and send the unit back fixed if you are not comfortable with helping them fix it.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomson View Post
I had the same model and it lasted two weeks and died. Sent it back, only the unit as I talked to someone at Rand. Received the new one. First, the maps are typically 18 months behind as an interchange near where I live took that long to update. Also, it will take you down roads that are not appropriate for big rigs; two lane twisty roads where straight highways would work. I run a car Garmin next to the Rand and it takes us down more RV suitable roads.
It makes a huge difference how you set the preferences in your RVND7 and if you have set your weight, height, and length in RV Tools as to how it routes. You have to set preference to RV not to CAR for this to be applied. There is also another setting that indicates how much it will use truck routes vs. shorter routes that are not truck routes. Finally there's settings you can use to indicate if you want it to route to prohibit or avoid many things including dirt roads and U-turns.

Yes, the map updates not keeping up with highway improvements is a problem, I have encountered about 5 situations in 2019 where a section of highway has been improved and the changes are not reflected, the worst ones being where improvements move a ramp from left to right side of a freeway. You still have to read the signs on the highways and if the signs don't match the RVND directions, trust the signs.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Randy,

When we did the fix on the current speed control we added the SD card and loaded the update at that time. The current speed worked but that was when we lost the right hand corner controls which included adding new address's.

I am really not happy with this unit. Worked the first 400 miles and has not worked right since then. No, it does not speak very well for the unit.

So my choices are this. Use this unit or throw it out. We can and do follow all our routes with a Road Atlas map so we double check our routes often. Gives us something to do on the road while the other is driving.

At this point purchasing a different GPS brand concerns me because the more they add on, the more things to go wrong. My old Tom Tom I never had an issue with. Worked fine and directions were usually right on.

We have the GPS unit programmed to the rig and it's measurements. We prefer not to take dirt roads and like mostly truck routes. That's how we programmed it. While checking the map, if I see a route I prefer to take we just go that way and the GPS updates the route in a short period of time.

Thank you for all the comments. I just wanted to put this out there so others can prevent from the issues I have had.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
It makes a huge difference how you set the preferences in your RVND7 and if you have set your weight, height, and length in RV Tools as to how it routes. You have to set preference to RV not to CAR for this to be applied. There is also another setting that indicates how much it will use truck routes vs. shorter routes that are not truck routes. Finally there's settings you can use to indicate if you want it to route to prohibit or avoid many things including dirt roads and U-turns.

Yes, the map updates not keeping up with highway improvements is a problem, I have encountered about 5 situations in 2019 where a section of highway has been improved and the changes are not reflected, the worst ones being where improvements move a ramp from left to right side of a freeway. You still have to read the signs on the highways and if the signs don't match the RVND directions, trust the signs.
Yes, we know about the setting and not to set it to car. We even added 3 feet to the length and a foot to the height. On our way from AZ to Temecula, CA it took us down CA 111 a windy, hilly, sharp turn, rather than the 4-lane. We made the same trip again adding another 2' to the length. We also ran a car Garmin. The Rand tried to take us again down CA 111, while the garmin took us on the 4-lane. Go figure.

thomson is offline   Reply With Quote