Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #15

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I wouldn't necessarily give up on the unit yet. I personally haven't experienced anything like you're describing over the past few years of use.

You might try contacting their tech support at 1-877-446-4863.
Kudos for attempting to provide support and knowing the tech support number. I thank you for pointing these folks to the right direction.
RandMcSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #16

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Ha, I got that beat!
Mine try'd to take me down a "road" that was only wide enough for a mountain bike !!

What is this road you are speaking of that is as wide as a mountain bike? If this is so I will create a ticket for the GIS team immediately. Thank you for your support.
RandMcSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcSam View Post
Hi al2ride.
It's never a good thing to hear about a poor customer experience. I'd like to ouch on some of the points you had mentioned so please bear with me while I do. The experience you mentioned where your device took you down a one lane road big enough for a car for 10 miles, have you spoken to a representative about this? We would like to know what road you are talking about so that we can double check in our database to see if that is not a road you should be driving on, if your maps are up to date, or if we need an improvement to be created to adjust the attribute of the road. The Tell Rand option on your device helps situations like these as the GIS team do evaluate every Tell Rand sent in. Truck Tools>Tell Rand. This would also correlate with Highway 33 through Ohio. It is also said that the cigarette lighter blew a fuse in your vehicle. I would make sure you are not using any type of splitter with your device, although if your charger has gone out on you, we will replace it free of charge within the 1 year warranty simply by calling technical support. I'd like to get you in touch with someone who can assist you and help you get your dead unit back up and running. Please PM me your contact information and i'll have a supervisor or manager of technical support reach out to you.

Thank you,
Sam
I had a problem with my unit after I did the last map update. I emailed sam about my problem and he told me the same thing he says here. The next day a supervisor called and sent me a repair authorization number and UPS label. As soon as i get home this weekend my unit will be on its way back to be reprogrammed. I can certainly verify he backs up what he posts on here.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:22 PM   #18

We bought a Rand McNally 7710 about 3 years ago from Camping World online. Received unit and read instructions and programed unit and tried using unit but did not understand the unit. So most of the time I did not turn it on but I was going places I had been before, so was able to find every place I wanted to go ok. The last Sept we went up in the NE part of the US from western ok. Made it ok until I hit some of the big towns and I needed help. So one morning early I started reading and programing on the 7710 unit and the more I read and programed It started making sense. Then when we pulled out that morning with it programed and with our next destination programed it worked great. So what I had was an operator problem not an equipment problem. I would be lost with out it now. Since then the only problem has been going to an RV park in Max Meadows, VA. It showed park on right side of road and it was on the left, then in Ark. I was going to fuel up at a Flying J and it was not there but a Walmart with fuel on the other side of road so still ok.
strongcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcSam View Post
Hi itgeekgal,

Where do you find the device to not be accurate? Have you tried reaching out to us for support? A new map update has been released last month so if you haven't done so already, please update your RVND to latest!

Oh dear, such bad timing. We tried to DL the latest maps but this keeps failing due in part to a poor Internet connection and the size of the files. So I sent an email to support asking if there was an option to send the new maps to me ( I offered to pay). Their response was for me to send the unit to them to get the update. !!! We use the PC application to update - surely there is a way to put the files on a DVD?

Connie, Tony and Rusty - on the road in 'Arvey
Old 03-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #20

I guess I'm nerd enough that I use my mobile phone for GPS, and use an offline app for the times that I am without cell coverage, or in another country where data charges would otherwise apply.

Steve
Old 03-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieTony View Post
Oh dear, such bad timing. We tried to DL the latest maps but this keeps failing due in part to a poor Internet connection and the size of the files. So I sent an email to support asking if there was an option to send the new maps to me ( I offered to pay). Their response was for me to send the unit to them to get the update. !!! We use the PC application to update - surely there is a way to put the files on a DVD?

Unfortunately I don't believe it's that easy. The updates need to be installed using the Dock program which only connects to the Rand McNally servers. The Dock program will not read from a DVD.

As long as you have a solid reliable internet connection throughout the update, the size of the files is irrelevant.

I would suggest waiting until you get some place where you have a good internet connection, and then trying the update. Try a library or a Starbucks and enjoy latte while you wait.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgeekgal View Post
We also use a Rand McNally... prior to this we were using a Garmin trucker edition but gave it up because it was no more accurate sending us on "big rig friendly" routes than the Rand McNally is. At this point before we head out we compare the Rand McNally route with Garmin & Google maps, if they all agree we feel fairly confident we'll arrive intact.
Rand McNally Truckers Road Atlas is the ultimate back-up for a GPS device. If the route is highlighted in yellow/orange as safe for semi's it is safe for any RV size.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieTony View Post

All that is required is a dependable internet connection. I have downloaded a map update via my home phone connection (DSL) several times. A modem connected to the phone line will get the job done, but you must let it run overnight, while making sure your computer does not go in to sleep mode or something like that.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #24
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
I've used Rand McNally while RVing since 1993. Been GREAT! Although I use the print version! I like GPS for the car, for sure, but I plan my route well ahead and know where my GPS is going to take me or where it shouldn't..
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:39 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
good imfo
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:46 AM   #26

I salute the involvement on the forum, and active participation of the combo of problem solving and 'suggestive' education.

No GPS device I've ever owned has been perfect. And just like RV Parks Review and RV Service Review - the more we participate and help identify problems, the more refined things will be.

We are on our 2nd Garmin, now a DEZL RV unit from the first generation. We had started with a Garmin, so stayed with it due to ease of shifting within the family. I have borrowed TT's and RM's GPS from friends, and also have a GPS for our Laptop running Microsoft Street & Trips. So while certainly not an expert on GPS's, I have had some experience.

Yep to always cross checking with alternate resources. Yep to trusting yourself, and not letting any GPS put you in a place that is unsafe. Yep to faster vs shorter. Yep to they all seem to have the ability to give you strange routing suggestions from time to time. The DW will use her iPhone GPS via Google to cross check routes on the fly, whenever something is not passing our filters. We find it to be usually more right then the Garmin DEZL, but not always. And yes, we keep the Garmin up to date with current maps.

Use them as a resource. And it's kind of funny, as we have RM's paper atlas as our primary backup to validation of trip routing planning. With Microsoft Street and Trips getting older by the month, I've started the search for a new planning tool. May end up going over to RM's for this too. Seeing they are active and care about their product, as demonstrated by participation on this forum, is a plus in my book!

These are all tools, to aid the 'brain' behind the wheel! And of course, the DW is always right...

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:46 PM   #27

Generally like my RM but it did try to send us on to the Appalachian Trail.
Not some road by that name but THE Appalachian trail.
Coultoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:16 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My worst experience i have had with a GPS was years ago with my first Tom Tom. We were north of Chicago and trying to go to an address. The tom tom directed us down a residential street. At the end of the street was a barricade with a warning sign lake ahead. The Tom Tom was routing us through lake Michigan. I guess it assumed we were in an amphibious car and would just drive accross the lake and then resume our surface transportation on the other side.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote