Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ratings on RV GPS systems

Please advise pros and cons on Rand McNally RV GPS. Thanks
CutieFac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to do some searching over in the Technology area of the forum. There's been lots of discussions there.

I have the RM RVND7710. Overall, I love it, but it has some issues that have not been corrected. I have been fussing at them for a long time about the height clearance warning.

You cannot set the distance at which you want to be warned about a low clearance.

If you are on a programmed route it WILL try to route you around the low clearance, but if you ignore the re-routing and continue toward the low clearance you will not get a warning until you are within 500 feet of impact!

If you are NOT on a programmed route you don't get the warning until you are within 500 feet of impact!

To me, this is a VERY SERIOUS problem! I was told by a RM engineer that the problem would be corrected in a later update, but that has been about a year ago and still no fix!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #3

The choice can be a very personal one. It is best if to go to a Best Buy or other outlet and try out the features and user interface of several different brands.
One example, I much prefer the Garmin products. Did purchase a Rand McNally once and disliked it so much that I gave it away to my niece. Then only because she wasn't my favorite niece!
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Search the Technology section of the forum... having said that take a hard look at Garmin Dezl 760 LMT or their RV 760 LMT. I have the Dezl, allows you to set vehicle dimensions and weight. Does a great job of providing "on route" cautions (sharp curves, winds, grades, Etc.); traffic warnings and reroutes as well as delays. Large screen, blue tooth Etc.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #5

I bought one a few months ago, when it working correctly it's great. But it sometimes changes screen on its own, freezes constantly. I can't believe a major company would put the thing on the market with so many bugs.

Buy a Garmin.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Garmin has manufactured GPS units for many years including sophisticated glass cockpits for commercial aircraft. Rand McNally historically are best known for paper road maps and atlases, and are just recently getting in to the electronics space. I have a Garmin RV 760 GPS and I am very happy with it.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks all for the information shared,
CutieFac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I have been a happy Garmin user for over 10 years. Have bought and returned a few other makes along the way. But I bought the Rand McNally and I really like it. It has many RV features and works really well. The lead engineer on it is an RVer, and it shows. I don't think you'll go wrong with the RM 7720.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #9

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Search the Technology section of the forum... having said that take a hard look at Garmin Dezl 760 LMT or their RV 760 LMT. I have the Dezl, allows you to set vehicle dimensions and weight. Does a great job of providing "on route" cautions (sharp curves, winds, grades, Etc.); traffic warnings and reroutes as well as delays. Large screen, blue tooth Etc.
in Rv mode or truck mode the Dezl take's us about 75 mile's out of the way then I put in auto mode and bam 75 mile's less any reason for this ?

Thank you
mike
Old 11-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the RM 7720 and I like it just fine. I know about the height notification issue, but I have never run into the situation our here in the west. I guess I just don't travel on those type of roads. I like that after the latest software update, when you plan a route, it will give you two choices, much like Google maps does. That way you can decide which routing you like. I think that one item has made a big improvement in my satisfaction with the unit.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
in Rv mode or truck mode the Dezl take's us about 75 mile's out of the way then I put in auto mode and bam 75 mile's less any reason for this ?

Thank you
mike
Mike look carefully at the route differences... there might be truck limitations on the "auto" mode route...

Tags
gps