RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #1

Re and Re TV

So our necks finally gave out trying to watch the front TV from the side mount couch and too close recliner. We decided to take drastic action as we are now full-timing and want comfort.

We disassembled the front mount TV (removed it all) and now have our LED TV in front of the side widow by the door ('03 Winnebago Adventurer 33V). We found a route through the upper cabinet to run cables. So our new TV works great and it's easy watch now.

So we removed the old TV, the housing and will now put a cabinet in it's place. Lots more room above the dash. We have one problem...when we took out the TV and original VCR and reconnected the RCA cable for sound, we no longer have Surround sound. Our unit has a Radio/TV switch which worked fine until the removal. I can hear the speaker hissing when I hold it to my ear, but no sound. Radio side works fine.

Did the power for the surround come from the old tv or the radio? Anyone have some ideas? I found the one end of the RCA jack, but the other is hidden up above somewhere.

BCIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Do you have the RCA jacks connected to the new TV? Did you throw away the old VCR and replace it with a DVD or Blu Ray?

2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #3

I plugged the existing RCA jacks into the new TV (Samsung Smart LED) I did keep the old VCR. What I can't seem to find is the other end of the RCA cable. It seems to be up behind the switch box and power inverter.

The new TV only has the one red and white port to put it in. The only other thing left over was a noise filter/suppessor of some kind and I'm not sure if it was plugged in or not.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You most likely missed a cable some where.

Where are you: I am in Upstate Sc and can make "house calls".. I enjoy "Fixing" problems like this the problem is that I can not work for the standard camper wage (A cold one - Beer).. Thus my fee is a "Hot one" (I work for coffee).

Many other RVers have skills such as mine, some better, and work for the same price when it comes to fellow RVers.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Depending on your existing equipment, a simple upgrade might kill both those ducks with one rock

don't know if you used an HDMI cable or can, but a standalone surround sound bar is not expensive and can fool most people !

good luck and if you are in TexUS, I know a guy who still works for cold ones
Old 12-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCIslander View Post
I plugged the existing RCA jacks into the new TV (Samsung Smart LED) I did keep the old VCR. What I can't seem to find is the other end of the RCA cable. It seems to be up behind the switch box and power inverter.

The new TV only has the one red and white port to put it in. The only other thing left over was a noise filter/suppessor of some kind and I'm not sure if it was plugged in or not.
A picture might help. It sounds like the RCA plugs have been disconnected from the surround sound system???
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree, a picture would help a lot! I would like to see before/after of the TV too. My wife hates the TV location so that may be my first mod.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies folks.

After removing all the pieces, we were left with the cable feed from the switch box, speaker wires from the center speaker and the end of the RCA cable.
We plugged in the cable and got the picture and sound from the TV speakers OK.

Plugged the RCA jack into the only available RCA port on the new Samsung and no sound. The other end of the RCA cable is somewhere up above and cannot be found (or pulled out) We plugged our RCA (held it in) the Infra-Red Port on the TV and got sound from the Tv through the surround system, but no volume control. I'm guessing the in dash stereo supplies the sound to the Surround...who knows.

I will post some pix in a few days. Sound BAr does sound like a suitable alternative. Also thanks for the offers of help, but it's a long drive to SC or Texas from the West Coast of Canada.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #9

Most new TVs do not have audio output ports other than the optical port. It's a bummer for sure. I've been using sound bars, and they can work OK, but the real-thing surround sound is better.

My next move is a simple dedicated amp and speaker system.

Good luck with yours

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #10

Well, I said I would post some pictures of the ongoing TV replace and replocate in our Winnebago.

We ended up buying a sound bar as well. The power for sound in the coach was indeed from the dash stereo and not controlled by the tv or stereo. So we are now working on the new location of the TV. We removed the old recliner chair and are going to use that location. We are now watching TV from the couch comfortably.

We had to search for the right size cabinet (something interesting and not from a box store) Found one today at a used furniture store and are now getting ready to modify it slightly.

Here are a few pix. That's my co-pilot running cable through the side cabinet. I'll post the finished product in a few days. (I hope)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-29 08.53.01.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	53931   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-29 10.25.25.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	53932  

Name:	2013-11-29 12.47.06.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	53933   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-29 11.26.07.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	53934  

Old 04-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #11

here are some recent pix of the near complete project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-02-27 16.06.06.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	60312   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-14 01.02.54.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	60313  

Old 04-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #12

I'll post the final picture soon.

We found the cab in a second hand shop. I turned the drawer into DVD holder by sawing the front of thr drawer off and making it a hinged drop down door and we fashioned a backboard to mount the tv on that hinges down and stores flat for travelling.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #13

My project is very similar. I hope I can add something to this post from my experience. 1st pic is what I started with.
I have been living in it for 6 months with a 25 in LED TV on the doghouse, a desktop PC on the floor in front of passenger seat, using TV as the monitor.
I have a swivel barrel chair behind passenger and a small side table under the window, just the right size and height for mouse, phone, drink etc.
It's been working great from chair or couch for TV but when I need to travel, I want a place to hang the TV on the wall. Thinking I would use a wall mount hanger/bracket under the window and keep the TV no higher than middle of window. Then find or build the right piece of furniture under it.
I think I could fit the comfy barrel chair in the corner between couch and kitchen cabinet. The table and mouse might not work out in that area and I would need a wireless mouse and keyboard, so I might have to consider a laptop if I want the TV on the side full time. I hope to upgrade to a 39-42 in TV also.
As seen in the 2nd pic, I have removed the old TV and had to cut the steel framing out. I covered the hole with paneling for now. Not sure what to finish that off with.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	022.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	60315   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20131215_001.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	60319  

MJ56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #14

BCIslander
Our previous coach was same.

The surround sound amp should be located under the passenger dash, mounted on the outside wall. Its power source is controlled by the radio power switch located above the doghouse labeled eng/house. If you have the dash computer tray, removing it will allow you to see the amp. Also you can remove the small kick panel trim in front of passenger seat, which holds the heater vent.

Winnebago added rca wires to the crt tv speakers, providing a variable volume output, hence the need for the noise filter.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the rca cables from the tv, and the rca cables from the dash radio go to inputs on the surround sound amp. The little switch near your inverter (radio/tv) tells the amp which input to use.

The vcr connected to the tv.

I believe if you run rca cables from the variable output of your tv, to the amp input, in place of the old tv's, it will play through your ceiling system.

But since you changed the orientation of the tv, the surround sound speakers will not match correctly.