Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #1

Rear view camera questions

I have a 2006 Jayco Greyhawk 31ss with a B/W back up camera. I want to change to color camera and color monitor. My question is do I need to concern myself with the quality of the wiring used originally. Since I want to continue with the "wired" system my understanding is I don't need to worry about interference that a wireless system would be subject to. Also I want to make the new installation an observation camera so that I can view the traffic behind me. I'm new to this forum and thank any responders in advance
SeaDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoc View Post
I have a 2006 Jayco Greyhawk 31ss with a B/W back up camera. I want to change to color camera and color monitor. My question is do I need to concern myself with the quality of the wiring used originally. Since I want to continue with the "wired" system my understanding is I don't need to worry about interference that a wireless system would be subject to. Also I want to make the new installation an observation camera so that I can view the traffic behind me. I'm new to this forum and thank any responders in advance
I looked into changing my Sony B&W back-up camera for a color however the "changing" is not that easy. Since my B&W unit is 13 years old, finding a color monitor that fits in the same hole is going to be difficult. I was also told that the wiring to the camera from the monitor is either lacking wires and may be completely incompatible.

A wireless solution may be the way to go.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #3

Rear view camera

DriVer, thanks I've had RV Supply stores tell me the same thing. I wasn't sure if they were just trying to sell me something. I continue to research the wireless systems but reviews of most are not the greatest.

SeaDoc
SeaDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoc View Post
I don't know what you have in your coach so let me ask some questions. How many wires are in the cable that goes to the old Sony camera? I believe there are 6 in one cable. And do you have any other cameras on that monitor?

Those questions asked, I believe you have what it takes to convert without changing wires or going wireless. The back up camera has a reverse lens on it, so, just any camera will not work. The color monitor, if you have only a backup camera, will be relatively cheap and all you need is 12v and two wires for video.

The Sony cameras were a 6 wire camera and can be easily converted to be used for a color camera. There are companies out there that install RV backup cameras for a living but if you are resourceful you can do it yourself. It is really rather simple.

You take 12v from the existing old monitor and use it to power the new monitor and the camera. You will also need a ground wire to the chassis. It should be there in the overhead monitor location. Then all you need is two more wires to carry the signal from the camera to the monitor. That is a total of 4 wires for the camera and 2 wires for the monitor. You can fabricate a mount for the monitor and make it look classy. Monitors come in all sizes. Pick the one that fits the width of the old Sony monitor. The monitor and camera draw next to no current so you can find a 12v wire and put a fuse in it and you're set. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being very easy, I would give it a 9.

Here is what I would suggest:
https://www.amazon.com/Lary-intel-Re...screen+Monitor

Or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EOOU2G...oding=UTF8&me=

And the Esky for the camera:

https://www.amazon.com/Esky-EC170-06...=backup+camera

By the way, you can cut the end off of the wire going to the camera and use butt connectors to connect the wires to the input of the new monitor and the power to the camera. Similarly, you can use butt connectors to connect the pigtail to the power of the monitor.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:15 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I looked into changing my Sony B&W back-up camera for a color however the "changing" is not that easy. Since my B&W unit is 13 years old, finding a color monitor that fits in the same hole is going to be difficult. I was also told that the wiring to the camera from the monitor is either lacking wires and may be completely incompatible.

A wireless solution may be the way to go.
By the way DriVer, what do all those campfires under your name mean and why do you have two blue ones. Is there a place on the web that explains what they mean? Thanks
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:57 AM   #6

SeaDoc-

I and others have found Tim at RVCams very helpful. Give him a call and he should be able to tell you what you need for a conversion.

I was able to change the display on our coach using existing wires and connectors- no cutting or splicing required. You may, too.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:36 AM   #7

As far as wireless I would suggest using Rear View Safety... i'm unsure about what wires are "compatible" but the staff is very knowledgeable

Wireless Backup Camera Systems | Rear View Safety
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
By the way DriVer, what do all those campfires under your name mean and why do you have two blue ones. Is there a place on the web that explains what they mean? Thanks
I had to go and use our search engine to find the answer since I wasn't 100% certain. That search engine works pretty good BTW. Here you go:

The number of campfires are dependent on the number of posts.

0 to 9 = No fire
10 to 74 = 1 campfire
75 to 249 = 2 campfires
250 to 499 = 3 campfires
500 to 999 = 4 campfires
1000 to 2499 = 5 campfires
2500 to 4999 = 6 campfires
5000 to 9999 = 7 campfires
10,000 and up = 8 campfires
Each 5000 posts above 10,000 one campfire will turn blue

The user title is also dependent on the number of posts.

Junior Member = 0 - 29 posts
Member = 30 - 99 posts
Senior Member - 100 or more posts

In my case, I'm closing in on 23,000 posts.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera