Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #1

Question Replace GPS

Suggestions, please. Our Garmin Nuvi 350 "died" last month in the middle of Alabama. We want to replace. The Gamin 1490 LMT looks nice; larger screen and more travel information. Curious if anyone out there is using the Rand McNally model designed for RV's? Would like to stick with Garmin so we can keep addresses and locations of places we have already been--but are open to suggestions.
dspa4398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There are lots of raving reviews on the Rand McNally 5510. Use the Search button and Rand McNally to find them.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use Microsoft Streets & Trips with a Garmin receiver (Very low end) tethered to the computer. I love my "Big Screen" GPS. Save when I go over a bump and the compuer BSOD's.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #4

I would NOT recommend the Nuvi 1350. Bought one recently to replace my Nuvi 255 because I need a new battery and map updates, and it's actually cheaper to buy new.

The 1350 is set for "fastest route", but keeps sending me down residential streets and back roads - Got me in a couple of binds with my 37 footer.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I use Microsoft Streets & Trips with a Garmin receiver (Very low end) tethered to the computer. I love my "Big Screen" GPS. Save when I go over a bump and the compuer BSOD's.
I recently bought S&T. Waited for the 2011 edition hoping to have the latest map data. Did not happen. Maps and POI's are out of date by as much as three years in some cases. I had 2 shopping centers that were at least 2 years old not show up at all, while the new Nuvi 1350 I mention above had them listed.

I thought that the rule of thumb was that Microsoft needs three tries to get anything right, but I guess that just applies to operating systems.

The user interface is still way too clunky compared to Garmin. It was not so bad having to put up with it in 2001 and 2005 editions, but - HEY! This is 2011.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I use the Garmin 465T. It allows us to enter the height, lenght and width of the motorhome to watch for low clearances. I understand that there is another Garmin Nuvi out there with the bigger screen (7") but I don't know if it has the motorhome bells & whistles thing. That is important to me!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We had our GPS stolen and replaced it with the 5-inch screen Garmin 1450. Can't say I'd recommend it. We've had 2 previous Garmins and liked them both although they were smaller screens. The good news on the 1450 is it's a Garmin, very reasonable price, and 5-inch screen. The bad news is the text-to-speak voice just isn't as clear as our older models.....maybe we just got a bad one. I'm not saying it doesn't work well, it does. It's just not as good as our other Garmins. That's pretty much my 2 cents.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Garmin Nuvi 465T might be what you are looking for. Has the height clearances and road restrictions loaded and upgradable. It's designed for truckers.
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just bought the Rand McNally RVND 5510. So far, it seems to be light years ahead of the old Mio we had before. I really the idea that you can program it for your type of rig.
That said, we haven't really used it yet, but will next week on a trip up to the U.P.
It appears to have an enormous POI database with about every campground in the country in it, plus overnight spots, Walmarts, etc. The POI database alone is worth it to me.
Camping World had an online sale of $288 w/$5 shipping, you might check it out.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #10

I've got a Magellan Roadmate 1470. I like it for the larger screen and the lane assist. It tells you what lane to be in to make a change of Interstates. It's my first GPS so maybe they all do. But it hasn't steered me wrong yet, no pun intended.

The POI's really help find business, camp grounds and so on. 8,000,000 I think.
jreyn114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
My RV5510 is still in their repair shop. No way to know if it works as good as my Garmin has in the past? I had hoped that the RV features would be a nice upgrade. Have not had any time to use it as both times it locked up, within a few hours of turning it on. Returned it for replacement or repair, at this time all I have is money spent for gps that i do not have. I would keep looking at others, it is to late for me to change unit. So far UPS shipping,is the winner.
Rebel
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, replace