Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Resolving Batwing Connectivity

I'm at at the FMCA Rally in Perry at the moment and I was trying to setup my over the air digital TV reception when as usual I was only getting a few channels (only 3) and they were coming in under 20%.

I saw that one of the vendors that I am parked with does satellite dish setups and I interrupted what he was doing and posed the situation that I was having. I asked and he said that the fact that I have all RG59 would not keep me from getting digital OTA signals. (Ruled out concern #1) Got it down to 2 possibilities. It's either a bad external F connector or a blown head amp in the bat wing. Changing the amp in the bat wing requires replacement of the bat wing. (I did go as far as to buy a new one)

I went up on the roof with all my stuff and no sooner than I pulled the boot off the antenna to expose the F connector and connection on the batwing what I observed was a white powdery external coating on the connector and once I removed the connector the shell of the connector appears to have deteriorated over time (10 years). I therefore ascertained that the fault was the upper F connector. That connector was cut off and a new F connector was put crimped on.

Note: The lower F connector in the antenna mount was buried in silicone caulk. Rather than dig through the silicone sealant which was in tact, I left it alone. (Why fix it if it ain't broke "here" worked well)

Coming down off the roof and rescanning for available channels I went from 3 channels to over a dozen channels. The signal strengths are now n the 60+ percentage range. Tada! Problem fixed!

Note2: Yes the power amplifier on the A/V switch needs to be turned ON. If your amp isn't woking you are not going to get OTA digital channels from the batwing.

Yes I do have a Wingman.

If this condition presents on your RV, pull the boot off the batwing and check the F connector that goes to the batwing FIRST.

The new antenna goes back tomorrow for a refund.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
DriVer,
I'm confused on the whole TV reception area.
I believe my 94 PA has the original crank up antenna looks old anyways.
I replaced the TV's with new visio's and and only seem to get one or two channels at best anywhere. Please enlighten me so I too can enjoy the tube on rainy days.
Any info is appreciated, not ready to think about a dish but would like more than movies we bring

Thanks
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #3

Well I think he just did. I have seen several 'F' connectors in other antennas corrode, sometimes from the inside where it can't be seen from water leaching in through the coax/ connector shell. I always wrap my outside 'F' connectors with self-fusing silicone tape to completely seal the connector.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I'm at at the FMCA Rally in Perry at the moment and I was trying to setup my over the air digital TV reception when as usual I was only getting a few channels (only 3) and they were coming in under 20%.

I saw that one of the vendors that I am parked with does satellite dish setups and I interrupted what he was doing and posed the situation that I was having. I asked and he said that the fact that I have all RG59 would not keep me from getting digital OTA signals. (Ruled out concern #1) Got it down to 2 possibilities. It's either a bad external F connector or a blown head amp in the bat wing. Changing the amp in the bat wing requires replacement of the bat wing. (I did go as far as to buy a new one)

I went up on the roof with all my stuff and no sooner than I pulled the boot off the antenna to expose the F connector and connection on the batwing what I observed was a white powdery external coating on the connector and once I removed the connector the shell of the connector appears to have deteriorated over time (10 years). I therefore ascertained that the fault was the upper F connector. That connector was cut off and a new F connector was put crimped on.

Note: The lower F connector in the antenna mount was buried in silicone caulk. Rather than dig through the silicone sealant which was in tact, I left it alone. (Why fix it if it ain't broke "here" worked well)

Coming down off the roof and rescanning for available channels I went from 3 channels to over a dozen channels. The signal strengths are now n the 60+ percentage range. Tada! Problem fixed!

Note2: Yes the power amplifier on the A/V switch needs to be turned ON. If your amp isn't woking you are not going to get OTA digital channels from the batwing.

Yes I do have a Wingman.

If this condition presents on your RV, pull the boot off the batwing and check the F connector that goes to the batwing FIRST.

The new antenna goes back tomorrow for a refund.
..........Driver, as usual I always pick up good info when I read your posts. Keep up the good work and have fun in Perry. Later,
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:14 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bill Adams fixed the same exact problem on our friends RV while at the Indio FMCA Rally.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #6

Why not use heat shrink wrap they use on electrical conections. That's what it's made for. Put it on and heat it and jobs done.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
Why not use heat shrink wrap they use on electrical conections. That's what it's made for. Put it on and heat it and jobs done.
Normal heat shrink is not intended for weatherproof connections. There is a much more expensive and much harder to find heat shrink that is, and oozes a sealant gel out when heated. Problem is once it's on, it's really ON.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:08 AM   #8

Had similar problem on my much older Superchief. Problem was the connector that went into the roof instead of the bat wing. What was interesting is that I was able to get most of the channels when parked in my front yard, but zip "on the road". It appears that there is enough wire running to the roof to pick up strong signals.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
It appears that there is enough wire running to the roof to pick up strong signals.
wildtoad, Yes sir that's exactly what was happening. When you're on top of the source of signal, the wire alone that goes to the roof IS the antenna.

It was a frustrating situation that was easily corrected once I understood what the problem was and took the initiative to resolve it.

UPDATE

Today is the first Official Day of the FMCA Rally and the vendors are open. You would not believe how many new units are here for sale from Tiffin, Winnebago, Newmar, Monaco, TMC and others. Lazy Days has a BIG presence here. The manufactures are represented here by corporate types, marketing and others. It is expected that sales are going to be brisk but we'll see.

The seminars have already started however many of those yesterday did not go off as planned and a number were canceled because the speaker didn't show up.

Within the circle of acquaintances here at the rally, we have already heard that some were shopping for a new rig. The coach count here is upward of 2200 and that's a pretty good number in this economy.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:19 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Do you have the amplified Batwing? If so, then Driver's post has items to check.

If not, you need the amplified version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
DriVer,
I'm confused on the whole TV reception area.
I believe my 94 PA has the original crank up antenna looks old anyways.
I replaced the TV's with new visio's and and only seem to get one or two channels at best anywhere. Please enlighten me so I too can enjoy the tube on rainy days.
Any info is appreciated, not ready to think about a dish but would like more than movies we bring

Thanks
Ron

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS
This stuff is a bit PRICEY BUT , stretch it slightly as you apply it and put an over wrap of black plastic (scotch 33) to protect the yellow tape and it will seal with just hand heat and last a very long time.
Vulko-Wrap self vulcanizing insulating tape - 36ft x 1.00 - Yellow
The neat thing is, if you need/want to remove it, just take a razor knife and scratch through the length of the wrap , it will almost peel itself off.
W9WLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:49 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
The problem with sealing a connector to prevent water invasion is that you will also trap any water that does invade. In the cable TV industry we used a non-conductive silicone jell that filled the inside of the connector.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #13
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
The problem with sealing a connector to prevent water invasion is that you will also trap any water that does invade. In the cable TV industry we used a non-conductive silicone jell that filled the inside of the connector.
As Dadeaux says, silicone dielectric grease is probably the best solution. The installer of our internet satellite dish used it liberally on all the connections - no problems to date.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
Bill Adams fixed the same exact problem on our friends RV while at the Indio FMCA Rally.
Mr. Adams has, I suspect, fixed either directly (hands on) or indirectly (By giving advice) more RV-TV problems than any other person alive.. He is one of the Good Guys out there.

Another thing I've found is the crimp-on connectors that are common on Coax cables, be they factory (Cable factory) or RV factory or house installed are rather cheap and can easily come off.. Like two fingers is all it takes to pull 'em off.

Bill, and others like him may well have what are called compression fittings, these puppies cost about a buck a pop if purchased 50 at a time but when they are properly attached.. Well, I had one come off one time, Wife used power tools to pull the cable out of it,, Did major damage too, had to re-cut and dress the cable before I put a replacement on. And the ones I have are waterproof as well.

Heat shrink tubing.. Marinas have special water proof types, has mastic coating the inside, when they seal, they seal.