Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2005, 05:05 PM   #1

I just got a new toy an RO system from GE. It is low pressure and produces 10 gallons/day.

I plan to use it only for drinking water and for the swamp cooler.

I will remove the Doulton ceramic candle from the system and place it at the water INPUT to the motorhome (tank or city water).

I am making up some precipitated silver metal to add to the fresh water tank as a bacteria inhibiter. I do not know, however what the RO memberane will think of this???!!!??? I would think that silver METAL would not give the membrane a problem only soluble silver salts?

The salesman at the store said that in Arizona you should have a water softener in the line before the RO!!! I got the RO to take care of the water. I don't want to buy a water softener too.

David/zetron
zetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2005, 05:05 PM   #2

I just got a new toy an RO system from GE. It is low pressure and produces 10 gallons/day.

I plan to use it only for drinking water and for the swamp cooler.

I will remove the Doulton ceramic candle from the system and place it at the water INPUT to the motorhome (tank or city water).

I am making up some precipitated silver metal to add to the fresh water tank as a bacteria inhibiter. I do not know, however what the RO memberane will think of this???!!!??? I would think that silver METAL would not give the membrane a problem only soluble silver salts?

The salesman at the store said that in Arizona you should have a water softener in the line before the RO!!! I got the RO to take care of the water. I don't want to buy a water softener too.

David/zetron
Old 06-06-2005, 07:11 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
The water softener just gives the permeable membrane a longer life. If you're on chlorinated water, it pays to replace the charcoal filter often.

I like the silver bacteria control idea.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:03 PM   #4

I know about the water softener, but I do not want to buy something else major for the water system. I hope to prolong the life of my membrane by washing it with high and low pH solutions when the TDS increases by 10%.

Silver is a neat element; the Lone Ranger was right 'silver is better'. I use a solution of precipitated silver metal and dissolved copper nitrate to soak my TurboKool swamp cooler filter in after cleaning the scale from it. Silver is fairly innoculous to humans but deadly to bacteria and fungi.Copper is somewhat more of a problem for humans than silver and is more fungicidal than silver.

My RO system produces 10 gallons of water a day. When the unit is running there is about 3 gallons of reject water/hour. There is an area under my Montara class C motorhome where i can spread a blanket between the bottom of the home and other structures. Allowing the reject water to saturate the blanket and evaporate may add to the cooling effect inside the motorhome.

The reject water rate is low enough that you really cannot see much even if you let it drain down onto the desert next to the home. It seems a shame to just put the reject water down the sewer especially in a desert.

I am not sure how my RO membrane will react to precipitated silver metal in the freshwater holding tank? The charcol prefilter should take it out. I wonder what the RO membrane would do with a very dilute solution of silver nitrate? I am thinking of using this periodically to be sure there is no biofouling of the membrane.

David/zetron
Old 06-07-2005, 07:14 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Looks like if you added a dash of hydrogen peroxide to your silver mix, you'd have Sanosil RO cleaner.

I wonder if a minute in the microwave oven would kill off the bugs without hurting the membrane. Probably not a good idea It would definitly give them a headache.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #6

Donavon: What is Sanosil? Are you suggesting using silver hydroxide?

I do not think the microwave would be a good place to place an RO membrane.

I have a radioactive rock collection. Maybe putting the membrane close to the rocks +20,000 counts/minute on the Gieger counter would do something to the bacteria? I really don't think that is enough.

David/zetron
Old 06-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Sanosil is here http://www.sanosil.com/-disinfectants-m.htm
I was just reading the ingredients this am while researching the effect of hydrogen peroxide on drinking water. The farmers around here use it in their
cattle watering tanks for crud control and I was wondering what health risks were involved.

Does your RV glow in the dark with those radioactive rocks?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #8

I have tryed using some high tech phosphorsto get the radioactive rocks to glow (free light), but it did not work. Even though these rocks are highly radioactive as natural minerals go they are not radioactive enough to make the phosphors glow.

I should say they are not radioactive enough with the right radiation. The old radium watch dials used concentrated radium which gives off lots of alpha particles. Just mix the radium with cheap zinc sulfide and you have light.

With my rocks (uranium) you get mostly beta and gamma. In order to get light from beta you need a vacuum and then the phosphor (like a TV tube). As far as light is concerned you are out of luck with gamma.

One thing these rocks are good for is AIR IONIZATION. There are countries where they sell encapsulated radioactive isotopes as residential air ionizers. But then there is the problem of the productiuon of Radon gas from these samples.

I presently have them outside on the ground. Radon gas is propably the heaviest gas there is. Unless you sleep on the floor with your nose next to the carpet you are OK. BUT MY DOG DOES THAT!!!!

Back to RO: I received my TDS meter. The incoming water is around 1450PPM and the processed water is 149PPM. That is a good rejection rate. I just heard that the RV park I am in has to impliment some new water treatment program to get the 30PPB Arsenic here down to10PPB. I beat them to the punchwith my RO system.

Instead of running through a whole 37 gallon (fresh water tank capacity) of buffered citric acid and then dilute sodium hydroxide I will use the 2.5 gallon pump up sprayer I have. It is reccomeded that the pressure to the membrane be reduced when washing and the temperature be increased. I can do these things. I still do not like the idea of using RED DEVIL LYE as the high pH wash ingredient! But in order to get reagent grade sodium hydroxide through the mail or UPS you need a special hazard certificate.

Come to think of it, chemically I cannot think of anything that will breakdown into more innoculus ingredients than sodium hydroxide: sodium ion and HOH!!!

I wonder if using some sort of dishwasher water softener as a RO membrane wash would be a good idea? The industrial RO washes of high pH probably contain sodium hydroxide and some mild detergent. I think i will look at biodegradable dishwashing detergents?

David/zetron
Old 06-10-2005, 04:54 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
Sanosil is here http://www.sanosil.com/-disinfectants-m.htm
I was just reading the ingredients this am while researching the effect of hydrogen peroxide on drinking water. The farmers around here use it in their
cattle watering tanks for crud control and I was wondering what health risks were involved.

Does your RV glow in the dark with those radioactive rocks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sanosil is suppose to be a propriatory concoction. I read the literature on it and will make my own. It seems the idea of using hydrogen peroxide and silver is not a new one.

The problem is that silver metal is nearly insoluble in water. The EPA has a limit of silver in drinking water of 0.1mg/liter. This is mainly because they do not want people's skin turning BLUE.

There is always colloidial silver. I do not put much stock in that, however. There is literature about using silver nitrate to treat water. In that case the silver would be totally dissolved and ionic, however when silver nitrate comes in contact with chloride ions it reacts to form silver chloride which precipitates out and has no biological action. Most water contains chloride ions.

Apropo of colloidial silver is something they call copper-silver ionization which is used in swimming pools and cooling water tanks. I have looked at the commercially avaiable units and they seem very expensive. The whole thing can easily be implented on your freshwater storage tank. Find the wire harness entering the top of the tank that connects to the tank level sensors. Make up two wires, each made from electrical grade copper wire and silver 0.999 fine bullion. The ratio should be 20% silver to 80% copper. Intertwine the silver and copper, making two such wires and place a food grade plastic sleeve between them. Drop this down into the tank level sensor hole on the fresh water tank. Connect this up to your 12 volt system with a on-off switch and with a switch that allows you to change which of the copper-silver electrodes recieves positive from the 12 volt system. Obtain some swimming pool copper ppm strips. You are done. It should last you a lifetime and you do not need to run it all the time.

David/zetron