Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
RF interference

On a recent stay in a campground on the north side of Lake Superior, we weren’t surprised that our site had only 30 amp service and water (no sewer). I disconnected the toad as my wife completed the check-in process in the office. The usual set-up routine went smoothly and I was pleased that a nearby tree didn’t block satellite TV reception since we’d be staying for 2 nights, well beyond over the air broadcast range. The campground WiFi was great (strong signal, acceptable speed), significantly due to the proximity of our site to the office building; I could see three WiFi broadcast antennae mounted on the roof line of the office building.

After seeing that the Winegard antenna had locked onto the three expected satellites, I grabbed the RF remote to turn on the TV and receiver. Hmmm…the TV turned on (IR signal), but, the receiver didn’t. No problem, a well-placed touch to the receiver lit it up and the TV screen came to life. I pressed the “Guide” button and the guide displayed. When I tried to scroll up on the screen, the display began a non-stop, continuous scroll up. Hmmm…pushed the “Exit” button to exit the guide, the receiver began to cycle through various screen resolutions. Man, it was completely squirrely!!! I tried new batteries with no change. There were digits on the remote’s keypad that worked (2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9) and others (0, 1, 5, 7) that didn’t. I finally got the receiver settled on an acceptable viewing channel and, convinced that the remote was messed up, I jumped on the internet to start looking for a replacement. I was happy to see that they’re not very expensive. Still, it would be another week before I’d be somewhere that I could get it delivered. So, I disassembled the remote and got some isopropyl alcohol to clean the contacts. Put it back together…and…no change. Still very messed up. Well, enough of that for one night and I had some internet trip planning for some sightseeing in the morning.

A new day and out the door to jump into the toad for a little road trip. Dang!!! The key fob wouldn’t unlock the car. It would lock the doors, just not unlock the doors. So, we headed out to the campground gated exit. When it didn’t open, I walked into the office to inquire about the exit procedure. Multiple security cameras (8 camera views on the monitor by the desk), “Ring” doorbell on the front door (one on the back door, too), RF remote to open the gate. I got briefed on exit procedures and walked back to my car.

As the gate opened up, it finally dawned on me. I was in a very RF rich environment.

On the morning of our departure from the campground, I powered up my TPMS to check tire pressures and noted the dreaded “No Signal” on every tire. I took the receiver to very close proximity to each of the transmitters and wasn’t able to get any of them to reconnect.

By this time, even I was able to come to the conclusion that you probably reached a few paragraphs ago. RF interference was my suspicion.

I stopped for fuel 50 miles down the road and got the TPMS reconnected. That evening, the satellite receiver and its remote communicated without error and the key fob would unlock the car.

Pretty sure that I fell victim to RF interference. With the proliferation of RF devices, I’d expect that to happen more often. I guess that for me, the lesson learned is to be more alert to that possibility.

Anybody else encounter something like this?

Take care,
Stu

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #2

Whoa, that shouldn't happen. I won't get into the details of frequency hoping in a spread spectrum, but I will say those were a lot of different spectrums for the different devices. If I was to guess someone had some kind of signal blocker running. That is a huge FCC no no. Normally I am not one to say people should run to the government and ask them to investigate, but this is a little beyond normal.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
There was a reason that I dropped out of Electrical Engineering in college (BS Math). There's a lot that I don't understand about electricity/electronics, for sure.

I have no idea of the source of the problem. Just an observation that something unusual was going on.

As far as going to the government...well, I was a guest in their country. I was raised to be as unobtrusive as possible when I'm a guest in someone else's home/country.

Just glad that everything got back to normal.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #4

It isn't like when someone accidently transmits on 121.5 and then after 30 people yell, "guard! You're on guard! Aircraft transmitting please check your frequency."

It is closer to ACARS and how it can know if the frequency is being used and if so it will wait it change channels.

As you can tell I spent too much time in the airline industry, haha
Old 09-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Aliens...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Aliens...
Been to Roswell...didn't happen there.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivintin View Post
It is closer to ACARS and how it can know if the frequency is being used and if so it will wait it change channels.

As you can tell I spent too much time in the airline industry, haha
I hope that all the ADS-B stuff "plays nice" together.

I did my time in the airline industry, too...a little less than 3 years.

24/7, do the math.

Took me more than 30 years to do that. Plus some military, too. Were my recent experience to have happened while flying mil, I probably would have filed a MIJI report.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-06-2017, 11:14 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Ok, somewhere I have read about a ultra,ultra low frequency range up in that area that is used to communicate with our submarine fleet. It takes a minute or so to send a single letter. Could this be your problem? Maybe better ask but I don't know who.