Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2017, 01:05 PM   #1

Unhappy Roof installed Winegard Pathway X1 Have ?

I just finished a roof install of the Winegard Pathway X1 and a VIP211z as Primary and a Dish Wally as secondary. I kept the over the air and cable factory set up totally separate from the Sat install. Lots of fun running new coax cable and HDMI cable. My arms look like I tried to pick up a fully clawed alley cat who didn't want to be picked up. Lacerations and bruises.

Anyhow, the system works great. Here's the question. With the receivers plugged in, but in the off position, sitting in my driveway, the Dish Antenna continues to correct itself to stay locked on to the last sat viewed. You can tell this by sitting inside and every few moments, the servos in the antenna make a slight adjustment. TV's off, boxes off, yet plugged in to shore power. I wonder if this is correct as it would seem to wear the antenna servos and belts out prematurely.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 02:59 PM   #2

Turning off the receiver doesn't really turn it off. If just turns off the lights on the front.

It has to keep listening because Dish sends signals to your receiver all the time.

Unplug your receiver for more than a week or so and it doesn't hear the 'you are authorized to receive these 150 channels' message and you lose all those channels.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:29 PM   #3

I'm not that familiar with the X1 but try not turning off the main receiver, just turn off the TV. That's what I do to stop my RoadTrip Mission from "hunting" when not in use. Like another poster said the receiver never really shuts down so leaving it on doesn't hurt. I've been running mine this way for five years and it's still working perfectly.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:32 PM   #4

On ours, after 2 months of non use, Dish Network just suspends the receiver since it hasn't communicated properly. All I have to do is go on a Chat with them and presto, everything is back again. Lots of times, I will set up the Winguard X2 several days before we leave and if it has suspended the receiver I will chat with them to get reinstated. Then when we leave everything is working properly.

Now for your question, I've never noticed the dish moving after set up except when we switch channels. I'm assuming you are inside moving around and maybe that is why it keeps hunting for the birds. The x1 has a smaller dish size than the X2 does, so maybe the smaller size is more sensitive than the larger one that I have.

Had to laugh about the scratches. I can just picture it!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:09 PM   #5

Our VIP 211k resets every night. Not an issue with our Travel'r but when we use the X2 it has to re acquire the 3 satellites and sometimes it fails, so we wake up with fewer satellites than the day before.

With our previous roof mounted dome, the 3am reset and hunt for satellites would wake us up.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #6

I changed ours to reset at 11:00 am. We are normally outside either touring the area or hiking then so the reset procedure doesn't bother us. I can't ever remember losing a satellite after the reset procedure.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #7

We finally started recording something to DVR from 2-5 am to defeat the reboot. Then we got the Travel'r.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:55 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
With the receivers plugged in, but in the off position, sitting in my driveway, the Dish Antenna continues to correct itself to stay locked on to the last sat viewed. You can tell this by sitting inside and every few moments, the servos in the antenna make a slight adjustment. TV's off, boxes off, yet plugged in to shore power. I wonder if this is correct as it would seem to wear the antenna servos and belts out prematurely.
That is perfectly normal for the Pathway X1. I had one on the roof of my Itasca and it did the same. Just for reference, the Winegard Carryout I still have and the RoadTrip Mission that was on my RED all do the same thing. I contacted Winegard and they said it's normal for it to continue to "seek" satellites when the receiver is off. The only two solutions I found are 1) turn off the antenna, but it has to re-acquire when you turn it back on and 2) leave the receiver turned on so it stays locked onto a channel and just turn off the TV.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, led, roof