Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #1

RV Internet

We would like to do some volunteering as camp hosts. Many of the parks we are considering do not have internet access. Could I please get some input from the members regarding their experiences with RV satellite internet services?

Thanks ------ Randy & Sandy
Randy Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2009, 07:39 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Randy & Sandy,

While I don't have any direct experience myself with satellite Internet, I do know one person who is forced to use satellite Internet access because of where he lives, and he constantly complains about how slow it is. And this person works in IT at a major medical facility, so he knows computers and computer communication, so I'm sure he has everything tweaked as much as possible.

Add to that the fact that finding and locking on to an Internet satellite is much more difficult than satellite television, I have to think that Internet satellite for RV use is just too much trouble and expense for what you ultimately end up with.

I use Verizon wireless Internet, which is a USB device that allows us to access the Internet via cell phone line, if you will. It is true high speed service that rivals my cable modem at home when I can get a 3G signal, and is more like dial-up where 3G is not available, although being on the east coast, I have yet to find a spot where I can not get 3G, and I often camp in mountainous, rural areas, where you would think getting a good signal would be a problem, but I have yet to have any problems with signal, and I'm very satisfied with it.

This has just been my experience, I suspect there are other frequent users of this site who will disagree, or at least have different experiences.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
RV park WiFi is far too undependable even when it is available.

I have a rooftop Datastorm automatic internet dish, and a Blackberry phone that I use like an aircard.

The rooftop dish finds the satellite at the push of a button and satellite is the only solution when cell service is not available.

It is not slow and I am able to do everything online that I can on any other internet connection.

An automatic rooftop dish is about $5K.

A tripod mounted, manually aimed dish is about half as much, but is inconvenient for frequent set up and take down.

An air card or tethered cell phone is the cheapest way to go, if you are not in the boonies with no cell service. Rev A cell service can be faster than satellite.

I would recommend an air card if cell service is available.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are a few different providers and basically two (or 3) systems

I won't go into the provider/provider differences cause other than to say read the package, All the services are priced fairly close to one another, and all offer much the same packages save for one (I-Direct) that is more expensive and offers larger packages (more data) as it's primary orientation is business. Good service though. (Well at least as good as the rest, if not better)

The biggest "negative" is the ping-time. from the time you click the icon, to the time stuff starts to happen is just a shade over 1/2 second. This bothers some folks.. Big time. Others (ME for example) find it to be a mild annoyance.

Now.. the three types of systems

Datastorm: (Motosat: Advanced Mobile Satellite Systems type systems are fully automated.. You park, press a button, and usually about 2 minutes later.. You are on line.. Very very nice, also very expensive.

The major adavantages are obvious.. Very easy set up, no storage to bothter with...

The major disadvantage.. I like to park under trees (It can not see through a tree)

RV-Mounted manual systems. I have seen several.. From roof mounted (Easier set up and storage than a tripod. but see the "TREE" comment) and bumper mounted (NOTE: this system the owner had multiple hith receivers, one on each corner.. He used one for storage, and all 4 for use, This method might get around the tree, or not)
Suction cup mounts (DO NOT TRUST THOSE)

Many of these systems also adress storage

Tripod mount:

Tripod mounts can easily get around the evil signal eating tree in most cases. They are also about the lowest initial cost. But you have to stow the dish, and you have to set it up, and aim it.. This can get boring after a while.

It is. however, what I purchased when I had Hughesnet.

And it's what I recommend

Advantge 2-way sat over air card

You know that idiotic "Can you hear me now" commercial?

Well.. if the answer is NO... (And no matter what the company claims.. Sooner or later it will be NO, and RV parks tend to be smack in the middle of "NO") your air card wno't work either.

But the 2-way sat dish..... that will work
Old 09-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #5

If (often a big if) cellular service is available where you park then I would recommend cellular. If you are going to be in several remote areas then cellular could be a problem as you may have good service with Verizon in one park but Sprint or AT&T at another, there's no real way to know unless you use that as your parameter before you choose to volunteer there.
Satellite internet is NOT slow. It is certainly SLOWER than most any ground based internet connection such as cable or DSL, but you can expect about 100-150K up and 600-1000K down. This is more than fast enough to handle all of a normal users needs. E-mail, surfing, forums, newsgroups, some YouTube stuff, whatever. There is a data limit with satellite the same as there are data limits with an air card but with 2 major differences. 1) If you exceed your limit you will never be charged a single extra cents. Your service will be slowed to a crawl for 24 hours but otherwise, no worries. 2) The service limit with satellite is a daily usage and the cell card is a monthly limit. You get much more data to use per month (unlimited amounts from AM - 7am Eastern Time) with satellite but you can use more data in any one sitting with cellular.
You will need to make a choice between a fully automatic roof mounted dish (around $5000) or a portable tripod fully manual dish (around $1200). If you are going to be parked in the trees during your volunteering jobs you might want to opt for a tripod since you could move it around as much as 100 feet or so to find a gap in the trees. With the automatics you must be parked where you have a clear view of the Southern sky.
There is a great discussion group for satellite internet at www.datastormusers.com and they discuss both the automatics and tripod mounted units in detail. The good and the bad and everything in between.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #6

Thanks!

Thanks to all of you who replied to my question. It sounds like there are a lot of issues with this technology but it was the $1,200 - $5,000 that helped my decision the most.
Randy Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Satellite internet is not slow once you get going on data transfer. The problem is the latency getting to and from the satellite. This is what drove me (and others) nuts. The satellite is 22,500 miles up and you have 1/4 second up and 1/4 second down every time you click the mouse.

If you will be in a remote location, it is probably your only choice so go for it if you can afford it. If you have any other choice, that would be better.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote