Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #1

RV park cable

If we're just stopping for an overnight I use the park supplied cable for TV instead of setting up the satellite system. We get an acceptable signal on the main TV but after going through splitters for the two bunk TVs the signal for the bedroom is really weak. When scanning for channels in the BR TV it will find most of the analog channels but will only get a few of the digital channels that the main TV gets. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, have you found a solution? I'm thinking of a signal amplifier or booster but I don't know how well that will work with cable. I did check all of the connections and they are all tight. I think the signal from the park is too weak. Thanks for any help.
dsurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Each pass through a splitter is a 3.5db loss or roughly 1/2 of the incoming. That is why most houses have cables ran all to a common point then use a powered distribution block.
So if your rear tv is going through 2-3 splitters then the signal is going to be very weak.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #3

I had replaced my bedroom tv with a larger one. One of the parks we stayed at the living room set did not receive all the channels that the bedroom one did. We were in this one park for 5 weeks so I ordered a larger Samsung for the living room. I installed it at the park and my living room set had all the channels that my bedroom one did. Could be you just need to upgrade to a better set. Worked for me. We all know you don't get the best electronics from the factory or maybe it's just better technology.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #4

Also, some TV tuners are better than others.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #5

- yes, we installed an in-line booster, found many different sizes, styles, and prices from amazon. provides a much better signal to the bunk tvs.

- TV tuners are certainly different, and it seems that some are much more 'powerful' than others, and can receive OTA channels that others don't. : (

- we had our outside TV replaced under warranty. They used an LG instead of the previous 'Continuus' brand. The LG is much easier to search for channels as it can do all types at the same time, versus having to 'choose' which input. Also, it finds many more local channels than all of the other TVs... : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #6

I installed an in-line booster and saw a huge improvement. The BR TV now gets all the same channels as the main. Thanks for all the help.
dsurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Common issue. multiple causes....

First from the PARK cable input to my BOMB (Matrix Switch, box of many buttons and of course the main splitter) is about 50 feet of lowest bidder RG-58.. Clearly NOT the best coxial cable.

Then to get back to the bedroom TV in my 38' RV is nearly 40 MORE feet. That is 100 feet of coax.. So you get about 4dB loss in the FM radio band (Between channels 6 and 7) that means over 60% signal loss for the RG-58A cable I used in the calculator.

2nd some splitters are better than others. again loosing as much as 75% (or more) of the signal remaing.

Now to the Front you still have the BOMB loss (one splitter, each splitter adds to loss) but only half the cable loss.

As you can see. it all adds up.

OH, and loss INCREASES with frequency

Source on coax loss.. Beldin's coxial loss calculator

http://www.qsl.net/co8tw/Coax_Calculator.htm

Source on splitter loss: Label on splitter.