Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #15

Yes they had Direct TV. I than you everyone for all your ideas, think Ill start by getting Direct TV on the phone and setting this box up for the motorhome and see how it goes from there. Again THX
00 DEAD ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
Yes they had Direct TV. I than you everyone for all your ideas, think Ill start by getting Direct TV on the phone and setting this box up for the motorhome and see how it goes from there. Again THX
Make sure to ask for technical help from their KVH department. There are a few old timers there that know about the LM dish.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
KVH Assistance

Quote:
I have had some problems with the KVH R4SL. they sent directions to get ready for a connection with the technician to attempt reprogramming @140.00. I did the down load and tried to get connected that ended up locking me out. Now they quote that I must send the unit to them, with a quote for 310.00+parts+shipping to repair the circuit boards.
There are 2 boards, one is presently ok and the other will not communicate.
I expect this repair could reach the price of a new unit very easily.
Undecided as to which direction I will go. That's a lot to pay for a repair when complete units are selling for similar prices.

Just a word of caution.. Possibly programmed obsolescence.
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Brian
Make sure to let us know how you make out with your problem.

My problem has not gone away. So far the supplied D12 receiver is not able to locate and lock on to the satellite. I sent emails to both DirecTV and KVH. DirecTV told me to just call them again...24/7. I have yet to talk to somebody that knows about the LM dish. KVH says somebody will contact me within 24 hours. I am willing to try the DIY route because it just takes up some of my time. The $140/hour route is a last resort.

I have read on another forum that both companies are planning to get rid of these antiquated systems...so they will no longer support them in the near future. Doubtful they would admit it.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
Brian

I have read on another forum that both companies are planning to get rid of these antiquated systems...so they will no longer support them in the near future. Doubtful they would admit it.
Here is one answer:

Dennis your hunch is correct, the system is obsolete. there are no options for you to maintain proper operation any longer and your only solution is to upgrade into a newer KVH system if you choose.

regards,
KVH Tech Support Team
Old 11-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #20

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
I would be hard pressed to spend very much money trying to get a 12 year old dome antenna "working". Satellite technology has changed so much in the 12 years, and even if you manage to get it working, I would consider it to be "temporary".
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #21

I just come across your comments and like to know if you have any comments on the King-Dome 3000 in-motion Satellite receiver. I have a old KVH stationery receiver now. It was working the last time I used. I use Dish Network turbo HD. I would appreciate your comments positive or negative comments on the King dome 3000. Thanks.
Donald"Dr.Don"Watkins
MSgt USAF Ret
donwat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
I would be hard pressed to spend very much money trying to get a 12 year old dome antenna "working". Satellite technology has changed so much in the 12 years, and even if you manage to get it working, I would consider it to be "temporary".
I agree and am planning on ditching the whole in-motion concept and going for a versatile, portable SD automatic antenna system. Makes more sense because we have no need to watch TV while moving. Looks like the OP has moved on in another thread about buying a new in-motion dish.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #23

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donwat91 View Post
I just come across your comments and like to know if you have any comments on the King-Dome 3000 in-motion Satellite receiver. I have a old KVH stationery receiver now. It was working the last time I used. I use Dish Network turbo HD. I would appreciate your comments positive or negative comments on the King dome 3000. Thanks.
Donald"Dr.Don"Watkins
MSgt USAF Ret
Sorry, I don't have any personal experience with the KD3000 although I have not heard of any complaints either...
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #24

I have decided to just upgrade and not waste $$$ on this old outdated unit. Thanks for all the replies
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone
00 DEAD ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Satellite repairs

Good Choice in my opinion,
Just a little reinforcement may be that I just found a price for a main circuit board to be $650.00. just for that part. There is also another board and a few other parts that could be suspected. That could easily put the price of repair upwards of 1200.00 on my unit. 2006 is not really that old, but yet very old in today,s comparison to technology.
When shopping, keep in mind that many owners manuals suggest that you may need to have a remote/portable base due to trees. I had many camp grounds that did not allow use of the rooftop unit. But, it was nice when it worked.
Let us know what you get, if you don't mind.
Best wishes.
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite