Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
rv will not find direct satellite

We just got a used 2006 Itasca 36g. I change the switches on the roof to "101" for direct and hooked up the reciever. The antenna searches, tv shows searhing for sat, but does not find the sat. and antenna ends up pointing east(I think). Is there something else to switch or adjust? Thanks
lvnrdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnrdream View Post
We just got a used 2006 Itasca 36g. I change the switches on the roof to "101" for direct and hooked up the reciever. The antenna searches, tv shows searhing for sat, but does not find the sat. and antenna ends up pointing east(I think). Is there something else to switch or adjust? Thanks
Do you have a subscription to Direct? If so, give them a call. I have called them a couple of times and always had good results. If you don't have an account the dish won't work.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Dennis 45 is correct, give them a call. I have a Traveler Direct dish, and a Direct receiver. The rig is stored in an enclosed storage building, if the system has not been in operation the last 30 days I must call them, and they have to do something to "recognize" you and your system. Officially, they do not " like" RV setups but they are always helpful, and professional.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Dennis 45 is correct, give them a call. I have a Traveler Direct dish, and a Direct receiver. The rig is stored in an enclosed storage building, if the system has not been in operation the last 30 days I must call them, and they have to do something to "recognize" you and your system. Officially, they do not " like" RV setups but they are always helpful, and professional.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Agree with both above and there are other settings needed as well. IE: size of dish etc. DRV has great cust. svc. Call them
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #6

Did you try resetting your receiver? The receiver should tune to a satellite if the antenna is working properly but you won't be able to tune to a program. However if you get a code 771 I think, then Direct tv will have to reset it from their end.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As stated call Directv but don't be surprised if they tell you that your round dish with a single LNB from Winegard doesn't "recognize" the satellite software. That is why when you do a search it will pass right by a satellite signal without locking on to it.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
As stated call Directv but don't be surprised if they tell you that your round dish with a single LNB from Winegard doesn't "recognize" the satellite software. That is why when you do a search it will pass right by a satellite signal without locking on to it.
I have a round 18" dish with a single LNB and lock in every time. ??
Cliff

Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We also have an 18"round dish and single LNB with Direct TV.
It has been tricky for me to locate the satellite at times.
If my memory serves me correct here's what I had to do:
When I first set this up I took a standard receiver (not High Def) from the S&B and put in the coach. Next using the menu button went to "Set Up" to make sure the 18" round dish was selected. (There are several to choose from). Using menu again I went to signal strength which gives you a slow beep beep sound. Next I turned on the Wineguard dish (I have a white 4 button panel in an adjacent cabinet that controls the dish). Wait a few seconds for the GPS to locate the satellites (in my case a red light comes on). Next push the search button and your dish will go thru it pre programmed routine to look for satellites. When your dish finds the satellite the tone will beep continuously at which time I push the search button again, quickly, to stop the search. Go to "guide" and you should be good to go.
I know this procedure is a pain but it's the only way I could get mine to work. I'm all ears if anyone has found a better way.
Finally it goes withour saying that you must already have a DirectTV account.

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
After a long shut down of my receiver I run configure off the menu list. This brings all info upto date and runs fine.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Mine is manual. I have a dish pointer app on my iPhone. I put in the zip code and get the elevation and azimuth. I have an elevation table that tells me the amount of cranks on the handle to achieve the elevation. I then find North with a hand held compass and turn my dish to the azimuth setting for my zip code
I usually lock on the first try.
Cliff

Old 02-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
One additional comment; when the guy installed my Traveler he had a signal based on a separate meter he had, but could not get the picture to come. While he tinkered, I re-read the instructions. There was a specific number by the type/ size of the dish the Traveler called for 04. It was set to 01.... The 5 LNB at home looks exactly like the 5 LNB of the Traveler, home is 01.
For two + years I had messes with a 3 LNB dish on a tripod. The most frustrating thing I ever owned. And my success rate of getting it to work was about 30%. Why I gave up and ponied up$$$ for the Traveler. But the lesson learned was you MUST find the exact code for your dish and LNB. There are several that appear to be the same. Also, pay attention to SWM vs. Multi setting. It can also vary between home and RV.

Good Luck!!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #13

In your receivers set up menu did you program it to the shape of dish you have.

Tags
satellite