Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2012, 03:01 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
RV with a Projector TV

Does any have one have a projector TV in there RV

You can get one for $200 to $300 dollars
I have a (L) kitchen , so I was going to put the projector in the upper cabinet, and have the screen pull down from over the drivers head.
Will these things handle the bumps ?
Anything I need to know ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2012, 03:26 AM   #2

Man, when I read the title I thought you were talking about the old big box projection tv's lol
Clanton24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:12 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
I had a projector but sold it. My idea was to use the side of the next door rig as a screen, should have got a great picture. For some reason, the neighbor wasn't fussed on the idea. Perhaps coz he couldn't see it?

Seriously though, unless you have a digital projector I would think the bulb is way too fragile for banging around in a RV. They operate much better tied down to a stationary surface. I am a teacher and we used to have projectors on trolleys that we could move from room to room - mostly a disaster, especially if we tried to move it while still warm. The new digital LED ones may be better, but you would still have to be careful.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:16 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is an interesting idea! I pulled my tube tv and replaced it with a flat screen, however that cavity would be an excellent area for a projector. I have a Mitsu 720dp in my basement and it does a great job on HD. From a price point it would be greater than $300. As far as bouncing I'm sure it could be mounted/cushioned to absorb the road. The biggest issue is adjusting the screen size at 8' throw the screen would be about 60".
Old 03-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #5

We saw one with one in it and have already contacted someone about having ours installed. We have a BenQ projector that does full 1080p HD and picked it up for $485 last year. THe picture is outstanding even with some ambient light.

Our screen at our home is 110" fixed frame screen, but we found some great automatic drop downs that would be perfect for up front. When we get this done over the next 45 days or so, I will update it with pictures.
TheTourVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I ran across a 2002 Windsor similar to mine for sale that had one installed inside. They had taken photos which I then copied and saved for future use someday.

Photos attached.

This is NOT my coach! Only for informational purposes.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OH Projection System-1.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	18860   Click image for larger version

Name:	OH Projection System-2.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	18861  

Click image for larger version

Name:	OH Projection System-3.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	18862  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a very nice HD LED TV for under $300. LEDs are very light weight, durable, use little power and generate almost no heat. All these things are perfect for an RV. They are also 12 volt which can eliminate the need for an inverter, shore power and generator use. For around $30 more, you can get a built in DVD.

I don't know how durable a projector would be in an RV, but no doubt a power hog and would generate a lot of heat.

Just pointing out things to consider in your decistion.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
While there are some projectors that use an LED light source & should be immune to vibration problems & wouldn't draw all that much power, they are fairly dim, and probably not be usable except in complete darkness.