Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #15

It will never look good with a standard tv satellite or cable box. You need to replace that box with an hd version or you will it be happy with the picture. One of the threads suggested setting it to pillar box. Depending on what the tv is capable of doing, that might work.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhill View Post
I have the SD signal in from the DTV box using the Component Video (yellow-white-red) input.
Have to agree with other posters -- the Yellow/White/Red connectors are composite video which is the about the lowest quality TV signal you could input into your Samsung.

It's like putting snow tires on a Ferrari. It's not your Samsung TV.

Get a DTV box with Component (Red/Green/Blue) or HDMI connectors.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #17

Thanks lots folks, I've been a DTV customer for at least 15 years....I am using the same satellite boxes I have had since day 1. I don't have any HD TV sets in our home so have never upgraded working equipment.
I think I'm reading that if I at least get new Satellite Boxes that are HD capabile and then use Component Video or an HD cable into my Samsung, I'll get a better picture. Am I understanding this correctly? I wonder if DTV will upgrade my equipment without actually signing up for HD programming? They'll think I'm nuts!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #18

The difference between HD and standard def is incredible! Watching a football game in standard you see the field and players, HD you see the logos on the players helmets, the details in the grass field, and can read all the banners at the sidelines. I've heard of actors complain about HD pic showing too much unwanted detail on their faces.
And I'll bet Directv won't give you HD without a charge. I just went thru that. Try using other companies against them, I'm sure they don't want to lose you!
JKRVEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #19

LCDs have a native resolution that generally (now) is the resolution of either 720 or 1080 interlaced or progressive. A non HD signal is 480. The TV scales or interpolates the signal to fit the screen. Also as mentioned above the larger the screen the larger each pixel appears on the screen. Think how a stadium display looks if you get close to it versus far away. A true HD signal (O er The Air 'OTA' or BlueRay) will look beautiful. Even DVD looks good because it is clean but compared to a BlueRay it will look harsh.
To sum up if you have non HD signals it will look like you are looking through a magnifying glass at your old TV.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too am a Directv customer of 15 ye ars or so. Last year, my old Sony box that I had purchased when I first signed with Directv, finally gave up. Directv replaced it with the latest HD capable box at no cost to me. I do not subscribe to HD from them, and have a Vizio HD led TV connected to it with HDMI cable. The picture quality is excellent, very little difference, if any, than the HD signal I receive from OTA antenna signal. Given your longevity as a customer, you should be able to get a HD box from Directv at no charge, just remind them what a good customer they have.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #21

Thanks again everyone! I ordered a new HD box from them online for no charge, however, I'll have a $10 HD fee accessed once the new box is activated. When I actually receive it I'll ask if I can use it in place of an old Hughes box that loses it's channel guide more often now. Maybe they won't make me subscribe to HD if I talk real nice to them.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #22

Rexhall Owners Group
I'm interested in how this turns out for you. Was directv clear that you would be accessing the standard channels (sd) with the HD receiver since (I assume) you don't have the special dish with the multiple LNB's that is required to pick up HD?
JohnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInAz
I'm interested in how this turns out for you. Was directv clear that you would be accessing the standard channels (sd) with the HD receiver since (I assume) you don't have the special dish with the multiple LNB's that is required to pick up HD?
Good point. And a HD dish is a little more of a challenge to point at the satellite than standard. Unless you have the wine guard traveler!
JKRVEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #24

I'm pretty sure that Direct TV will insist that I pay for HD service. There's always a slim chance that they'll let me keep the box (at their monthly fee) for SD service. Worse case, they'll install an HD dish on my house roof and I'll be ready for home HD whenever I buy an HD TV and I can keep the new box for use in the RV too. Even their new SD boxes only have yellow-white-red, RF, and S- video outputs, just like my old sat receiver.
I can see a Winegard Traveler in my future, just not sure when.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #25

Just be sure that you are not being sent an H(HR)-25 model receiver as this version of their HD receiver will not work with any of the roof mounted RV antennas and requires a special ground mount antenna (SWM capable).
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
That Samsung 4000 series TV is on the "10 best list". It has to be your receiver and/or wiring. Does your current recieve have HDMI connections? If not, temporarily connect a DVD or Blu-ray player to it with an HDMI calbe and you should see a great picture.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #27

Thanks again everyone....I have watched an OTA HD program and the picture is fantastic, nothing wrong with the TV set for sure. I'll just have to get used to watching the Direct TV SD picture I guess. Maybe someday I'll go for the Winegard HD antenna, in the meantime I'll just be satisfied with what I have.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
What you are seeing is the difference in resolution quality. HD is 1080 lines of resolution while SD is only 480 lines of resolution. That's why SD looks fuzzy on a HD capable TV.
I think this (above) is the correct answer.

By the Way - when OPs sets were made Sony and Samsung were in a joint venture to manufacture LCD screens. So the two different sets OP has are likely just "Badge Enginnered" that is they are/were the same set with a different "Badge" on the case.

Sony has recently decided to get out of the joint venture.

see HERE for more information
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Pr...15E/index.html

Sony Out of Samsung LCD Joint Venture | Ubergizmo

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote