Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #1

Samsung LED TV

I have been looking to replace my 24" Analog TV with a 32" HDTV. One that would fit in my space with the minimum of pain would be a Samsung UN32B6000. It is only 1.2" in depth and is about 50 pounds lighter than the 24" TV. It is supposed to use 40% less power (and heat) than standard TVs. The only drawback is the price which is in the $1300 - $1500 range at present.

Do any of you have any insights on the issues of LED Displays?

Have a nice day - Darrel
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #2

Hi,

I have read some reviews in Popular Science, and they are big fans of the new LED TV's. They are brand new, however, and will remain pricey for some time to come. If you don't want to fork over that kind of money, a nice LCD such as the Sharp Aquos (also highly rated by PopSci) is very decent. I have two of the 26" size Sharp Aquos, and found both to be worth every penny. The newer one has a nicer remote, with fewer buttons, making things simpler.

In any case, that's my .02. You'll either have to pay up or settle for less, I believe.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #3

Well, I just bought 10ea. 8000 Series 55" LED monitors for a brand-new TV production studio, and probably another 6 more 46". How's that for confidence?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #4

Wow Jeff, you must have much deeper pockets than mine. I plan to wait a bit and see if the prices come down a bit. I also would like to have some assurance that bouncing aroud in an RV application is appropriate for these models.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 07-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #5

Darrel,

MY Damon has 3 LCD TV's that have been bounced over 12,000 miles of roads without any problems. LCD tv is not brand new. The technology was developed over 8 years ago, about the same time as plasma tv. It just was costlier to manufacture, so was slower to come to the general market. As to price, there are less costly models on the market with the same performance specs as the model you have chosen. They may not have exactly the size dimensions you want but might provide an alternative at much less cost. The Viewsonic 32" in my Damon has the same video specs at half the Samsung cost.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #6

We will be replacing ours with the LCD units either Sony, Sharp or Samsung which can be bought now for around $500 or less. We're not all that fussy about super high quality pictures as pictures on the LCD's are substantially better than those on the old CRT units.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
Wow Jeff, you must have much deeper pockets than mine. I plan to wait a bit and see if the prices come down a bit. I also would like to have some assurance that bouncing aroud in an RV application is appropriate for these models.

Have a nice day - Darrel
The company does. This was budgeted money before the crash that never got whacked ( ). I could have gone "Broadcast Quality", but these are so much better it's not funny.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 07-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #8

led and lcd's are two different animals. led is new tech lcd is old tech. there seemed to be some confusion! jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Darrel,

MY Damon has 3 LCD TV's that have been bounced over 12,000 miles of roads without any problems. LCD tv is not brand new. The technology was developed over 8 years ago, about the same time as plasma tv. It just was costlier to manufacture, so was slower to come to the general market. As to price, there are less costly models on the market with the same performance specs as the model you have chosen. They may not have exactly the size dimensions you want but might provide an alternative at much less cost. The Viewsonic 32" in my Damon has the same video specs at half the Samsung cost.
This reference was not to LCD TV but rather to the new technology of LED TV.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjim View Post
led and lcd's are two different animals. led is new tech lcd is old tech. there seemed to be some confusion! jim
Just to be clear, all we are talking about are the illuminators that backlight the LCD panel. Old tech is florescent, either cold or warm vs. LED's doing the same thing.

Jeff - WA6EQU