Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
Samsung TV just pings every 20 seconds!

Our coach is just a year old but our main tv is making us CRAZY! It worked for awhile, several months, then would just turn itself off. Then later it would just make a three note tune, every 20 seconds or close to it, until we unplugged it. Wait a day, plug it in. Nope just the ping, ping, ping. Took it to the dealer, and of course, they plugged it in and it worked just fine, yayyyy!
We are home, and back to the ping, ping, ping! We have pulled the plug from the wall and put it in a different socket entirely. Worked for almost ten minutes that time.
Has anyone had this problem? Our tv has a rather large metal plate mount, as it is on a hinge and swings out. I'm afraid it has fried itself. !!

Called Samsung, but hadn't removed the tv from the mount to get the exact model #, so they wouldn't even talk to me! I was not impressed.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoders2Go View Post
Our coach is just a year old but our main tv is making us CRAZY! It worked for awhile, several months, then would just turn itself off. Then later it would just make a three note tune, every 20 seconds or close to it, until we unplugged it. Wait a day, plug it in. Nope just the ping, ping, ping. Took it to the dealer, and of course, they plugged it in and it worked just fine, yayyyy!
We are home, and back to the ping, ping, ping! We have pulled the plug from the wall and put it in a different socket entirely. Worked for almost ten minutes that time.
Has anyone had this problem? Our tv has a rather large metal plate mount, as it is on a hinge and swings out. I'm afraid it has fried itself. !!

Called Samsung, but hadn't removed the tv from the mount to get the exact model #, so they wouldn't even talk to me! I was not impressed.
low voltage? try plugging the MH into a different source (home, different campsite, different campground) and see if that makes a change.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #3

Google your model tv and see what comes up.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't drive yourself crazy with this. Nowadays, TVs are basically non-repairable throwaways. LED TVs are pretty cheap. There should be some good Father Day sales going on now. Buy the cheapest unknown brand that fits your needs. Try to find one that has the speakers on front.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

🎓 I always think I know more than I actually do! I'm not a 🚀 scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 🏩
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should, however, FIRST check your present TV on another electrical source. Take it inside your home & plug it in. If it works okay there, then it's a RV related problem, not a TV problem.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

🎓 I always think I know more than I actually do! I'm not a 🚀 scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 🏩
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:54 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my inlaws bought a new samsung for their stick and brick house. worked a week and then started doing what you are talking about except i dont remember them telling me it pinged but it might have. I told them to take it back. They had a tech come out under warranty. He replaced the motherboard. That lasted a week. When it went back out they took it back to the store they purchased it and got another one. Sounds like a power supply problem. Televisions work on off of a switchable power supply and to be honest those are not fun to work on or troubleshoot. You can try it in a different power environment. While you are doing that try looking at ads online you are probably going to need a new tv
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had the same thing happen with my 2009 Samsung 40" in June of 2013. TV would shutdown in the middle of watching it. Could get it back on sometimes, but not always. One day I turned on the TV and got sound but no picture. Discovered by looking closely that the picture was there, but the backlight was out. So I googled the symptoms and found this You Tube video:

After watching that, I disassembled my TV, found the transformer that was bad, ordered a new one on eBay for $8.90 including shipping. Installed the new transformer, powered it up, and it has been working flawlessly every day for the last two years.
If you are handy with a screwdriver, a volt ohmmeter, and a soldering gun, then you can probably do this yourself and save a couple of hundred dollars.

But if the TV is still under manufacturer's warranty or extended warranty, let them deal with it. They'll probably just replace the board that the backlight transformers are mounted on.
BlueMoose105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:26 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Samsungs have a problem with their power supplies and are easily fixable. Google your model number with the problem and see what they say. Power supply repair kits can be found on eBay for 10 bucks. Watch a uTube on how to do the repair. No need to throw away the TV
Old 06-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
Thanks y'all! I called Winnebago and was assured that while I had had the tv worked on at the dealer before the warranty lapsed, it isn't covered and I should probably just buy a new one. It should arrive tomorrow! Again, thanks!!
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote