Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #1

Satellite and HD Direct TV Upgrades

I have a 2005 Journey 39K and just finished replacing my KVH In Motion Dome with a Wineguard SK-SWM3. I also replaced the Sony Boat anchor with a 32" Visio SMART TV with variable audio output to work with the DHS Surround sound that came with the coach.

I am really pleased with the way the project turned out. It was a solid two days of work from start to clean up. That included coating a section of the roof as well as fabricating a cubby hole below the TV to hold remotes etc.

I did not use the splitter because I only hooked up a H21 HD receiver with HDMI to the TV and I did NOT use the switch box. I was afraid to incorporate the Switch box for fear it might not work correctly.

Everything worked perfectly first time I turned it on. I was shocked. I think that was a first for me. I even connected to my home wireless network as the coach was parked in front of my house.

Ok so now what? I want to replace the bedroom TV with a 24" small HD Smart TV and I want to add a 32 TV to the basement.

My biggest question is around cabling and wiring. I can fabricate and follow instructions but I am really weak at electronics. I need help. What do I need to do? Will I need a different switch box also?

We would like to be able to watch different programs on basement TV and Main TV. Bedroom TV could mirror main TV. I am open to suggestions and would appreciate any guidance you might be able to give me.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #2

Since you used the Winegard SWM-3 satellite dish, you must be using DirecTV.

You will need a 2nd DirecTV receiver box to get separate channels on the 2nd TV.

With the SWM technology, you run a second RG-6 cable after the power injector, to the 2nd receiver. Now the question becomes where to locate the 2nd receiver. I would suggest locating it in the bedroom, and mirroring the bedroom signal to the outside TV.

To do this, you need an HDMI splitter from the output of the 2nd receiver to feed 1) the bedroom TV, and 2) to the outside TV. You can get HDMI cables up to 50' in length. The system works.

Next issue is to make sure the DirecTV box you get has a RF remote to be able to control the outside TV, as well as the bedroom TV. Or if it's an IR remote, there are systems available which will relay the IR signal from the outside TV to the bedroom TV box, where the Sat box is located, using the same HDMI cable to conduct. Sewell sells these systems.

I have an HDMI splitter which feeds my front TV along with the bedroom TV, but both TV's have to watch the same channel. Works for us.

Advantage of an HDMI splitter is that you are watching HD at all TV's. Can't do that with coax, unless you locate a separate DirecTV box at every TV, and then running HDMI to each TV from the sat boxes.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #3

Thank you very much so I need to find the cable that goes to the back bedroom. Would that cable come off the back of the switch box?

Then I need to find out where the splitter is and what to install so the HDMI can run to the basement TV from the bedroom receiver, right?
Old 07-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottma View Post
Thank you very much so I need to find the cable that goes to the back bedroom. Would that cable come off the back of the switch box?

Then I need to find out where the splitter is and what to install so the HDMI can run to the basement TV from the bedroom receiver, right?
You need to find the SWM splitter, or if one is not installed, you need to install a SWM splitter to run a coax to the second cable box. This splitter is located after the power injector of your SWM-3 satellite. You can't use the existing cable to the back TV (not recommended, nor will it work). So no, don't use any existing cables coming off the back of the switch box.

Run a new coax (RG-6) to the second box, directly from the SWM splitter. Then from the second satellite box, run HDMI cables to both TV's, using a HDMI splitter (Sewell is a good company to purchase from).

If you go to Winegard.com's webiste there are some technical manuals on there to show how the SWM system is set up. Follow them.

The wiring for this system is not trivial. To make it work the way you want it to work, I'd suggest finding a good Winegard service center. They generally know what they're doing. It's sometimes more than a 'do-it-yourself' job, since the SWM technology is pretty new, and HDMI splitters aren't trivial either.

P.S. Don't trust your RV wiring to the DirecTV guy either. I almost guarantee that they'll screw it up. You need a good RV guy who understands satellite and HDTV installations.

Winegard has on their site a list of 'trained' RV centers who know this stuff.

P.P.S Make sure your DirecTV boxes are SWM compatible. We installed a new Trav'ler SWM-3 for a customer, who insisted his existing satellite box was compatible, according to DirecTV. It wasn't. Afterwards, he had a DirecTV installer change out one of the LNB's, essentially removing the SWM technology from Winegard, and rendering his system incapable of receiving satellite HDTV. Don't repeat his mistake.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Another note; get rid of the switch box. It is much better to buy a second DVD player for the bedroom. You can use a standard coax splitter to run park/OTA cable to both TVs. So each TV has its own set of sources and is independent of the other.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #6

OK All finished. I figured out cables didn't have to pull new except for tap into split cable from bedroom to entertainment center to basement. DVR and 32 Flat panel SMART up front , 24 " Flat SMART in the bedroom with HD receiver. 32 " flat with built in DVD in the basement with HD receiver.

Wonderful upgrades and they really turned out nice. I am thinking of doing a full write with pics.

Thank you for everyone's suggestions and help.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #7

I'm doing the same thing

Scottma, I have a 2004 Essex and I am planning the same upgrade. I just purchased the Travl Direct TV sat HD dish and planning to change out the old stuff. Some questions I have though and I appreciate what you just went through and really sharing that information:
1) the Travl dish takes 110v, where did you get it from?
2) I also ordered the emergency shut down cable in case you forget to shut down before departure and I'd want to tie that to an ignition circut, did you?
3) It sounds like you replaced the standard def dome so you no longer get in motion tv viewing, is it possible to have both systems to have in motion and then HDTV when parked?
4) I've only had our coach a few months now but not sure if there is a subpanel or junction box on the roof to access coach wiring or did you have to drill holes in the roof and if so, how did you run the wires?
I am exited about he electrical upgrades because the coach is near perfect shape but the old electronics have got to go! Looking forward to your reply!
04Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite