Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #1

Satellite Dish

I have a 2001 motorhome with the original Winegard dish (18" I think). I have a standard Directv receiver I cannot view the HDTV only channels. If I put in the HDTV receiver can I view the GDTV only channels. I realize they will not be in HD and that is fine
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms1943 View Post
I have a 2001 motorhome with the original Winegard dish (18" I think). I have a standard Directv receiver I cannot view the HDTV only channels. If I put in the HDTV receiver can I view the GDTV only channels. I realize they will not be in HD and that is fine
Thanks
What is GDTV.
Is there a question somewhere in your post?
If you only posted all that information to confuse me...I have to admit it worked!
Mel
KingDome stationary automatic dish,
DirecTV........ SD only, no HD, (or GD?).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
With the 18" dish you can watch all the SD channels with either a SD receiver or a HD receiver. Just lock onto the 101 satellite.
And change the receivers in the menu to a 18" dish setting.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Just added the Dish TV (pay as you go) with the Tailgater Dish. This way I can watch both HD and SD signals with one receiver. So far I am very happy with this new option.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #5

Just be aware that if your new HD receiver has a recorder, then you will need two cables from the antenna for the recorder to work. Your Winegard probably has only one cable. I was able to connect and pull a second cable for my last motor home. Also, there are a couple of locations that direcTV does not transmit standard def signals on sat 101 but on 109 or 117. Houston is one of those sites.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing to note - some of the DirectTV receivers will not work with the non SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) dishes such as the one you have. The H25/HR25 is an example of one of them.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms1943 View Post
Thanks
I don't think there are HD only channels. But if there are, you would need both a new dish and a new receiver. The 18" round dish can only be used for the 101 satellite, which has only SD channels.

What channels do you think you're missing?
Old 06-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
One thing to note - some of the DirectTV receivers will not work with the non SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) dishes such as the one you have. The H25/HR25 is an example of one of them.
There is no HR25 receiver being made, only the H25 a non DRV
Other SWM only receivers are the Genie HR34 and HR44
Quote:
Also, there are a couple of locations that direcTV does not transmit standard def signals on sat 101 but on 109 or 117. Houston is one of those sites.
DirecTV broadcast no channels on 109.8 anymore.
But does have several locals on the 119 that all are SD no HD.
And they are spot beamed. So travel very far out of there spot beam you will not have them.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I don't think there are HD only channels. But if there are, you would need both a new dish and a new receiver. The 18" round dish can only be used for the 101 satellite, which has only SD channels.

What channels do you think you're missing?
DirecTV has the HD Extra Pack
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
We are new to RV life and the forum so on a steep learning curve. Figuring out how to get tv on the road is on my list of things to do. We are long time Dish network people so what receiver works best and is low hassle? Thanks in advance
Mb49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
DirecTV has the HD Extra Pack
True, but I can't see anyone paying extra for HD only channels if they're planning on watching them in SD. I could be wrong. I don't think the OP ever said.