RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #1

Satellite dish

Just bought a new to me class A. It came with a sattelite dish its a Wingard. It is programmed for Direct Tv and I have Dish Network. Can it be changed over and if so how?

ajhartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes it can be changed - you'll most likely have to take it to a dealer and have them do it. My new MH came set for Direct and the dealer used a computer somehow to reprogram the satellite. Best to you!

wepinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #3

This should help you with the setup

DIRECTV and DISH for your RV - Receiver Setup Guides
binspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhartle View Post
Just bought a new to me class A. It came with a sattelite dish its a Wingard. It is programmed for Direct Tv and I have Dish Network. Can it be changed over and if so how?
Just yesterday, I changed mine from Direct to DISH network.If you have the Winegard Dome mounted on the roof, there are 6 screws which hold the black cover in place. Remove the screws, lift the plastic section of the Dome and you will should see 8 tiny adjustable tabs. Set each tabs either up or down for DISH. I think that I had to move either 2 or 3 at the most.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you sure the dish is currently "programmed" ONLY for Direct?

The most common Winegard single LNB roof-top crank-up will work with either system.
Crank-Up Satellite Dish with Digital Magic - Winegard

Here is the full line of Winegard rooftop dish's. Lots of info there:
RV Antenna - Winegard Roof Mounted RV Satellite Antennas

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

First, what is the model of your Winegard dish? Is it automatic or do you have to crank it up? Is it a dome?

Lots of questions to answer, but I believe most of the older units can be switched between Dish and Direct via the micro switches mentioned above.

BTW, adding the year, make and model of your rig to your signature line can help folks give you better responses.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #7

I just went through this on Sunday. My sat system is the Wineguard Minimax Stationary. To change the setup to dish is simple. You do need to climb on the roof and remove the 8 screws. Once the dome is off, locate the small silver box below the satellite dish. You can gently move the box around to face you and so you can see the small micro switches on the edge of this box. The manual for your satellite will specify if the switches should be up (on or down (off) for Dish. Set them as instructed and put the dome lid back on. Do not over tighten the screws for the dome as you could crack the plastic. Just tighten enough to seal the rubber washer under each.

It takes longer to get the dome cover off then to make the change.

Good luck
osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum.

First, what is the model of your Winegard dish? Is it automatic or do you have to crank it up? Is it a dome?

Lots of questions to answer, but I believe most of the older units can be switched between Dish and Direct via the micro switches mentioned above.

BTW, adding the year, make and model of your rig to your signature line can help folks give you better responses.

Best of luck.

Rick
Hello, its a dome automatic and I have a 05 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 8378. The switch inside says its programed for Direct Tv.
ajhartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
An '05 should be able to be setup for either service. With Dish, you'll need to run "check switch" to get it to move to all three satellite, but that's easy to do. Just press menu-6-1-1. Use the cursor buttons on the remote to get to the check switch button on screen and select it. First, get the dome programmed for Dish, if it's not already.

kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, dish