Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2008, 06:36 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Posted March 15, 2008 07:41 AM Hide Post
quote:
Winegard?

Absolutely!

Bill Adams

Hello Bill, Is that a good or bad statement?
The "Winegard stationary" systems look decent for the price range between $1000.00 & $1300.00 for the domed versions and thats in my price range....

I have looked at the 12" tall domes BUT feel the 15" may have stronger signal gathering abilities but what do I know......

Bill, If you know about a better dish around the same price range but not set in stone please let me know cuz April starts more trips.

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2008, 06:55 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you know about a better dish around the same price range </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've had a Winegard open dish, and now have a MotoSat open dish. The MotoSat is rock solid. The only time we have lost signal briefly has been under heavy rain conditions. The MotoSat will likely cost you more than a Winegard, but you do get what you pay for. I paid $1,799 installed for a dual LNB MotoSat.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:44 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Paul, Thank you that information.

Another $4-600 for a system that works well is NOT out of the picture.

Open dish VS dome for signal strength is sinking into my head (finally) and I want something that is one button on cuz my old dish is wearing me down..

Jim
Old 03-15-2008, 08:29 AM   #18
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Winegard?

Absolutely! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Winegard open dishes frequently flop about in the wind from worn components.

MotoSAT dishes do not.

The new Winegard 5 LNB open dish appears sturdier than the old style, but they are still new, and as such, there are no long term experiences yet.

MotoSAT has a proven track record.

I am quite satisfied with my MotoSAT internet and DirecTV dishes.

When I get a 5 LNB dish, it will be a MotoSAT.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:30 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My rv came with a tracking dome from KVH. I wouldn't want to be w/o it. Only had one problem in 4 + years and it was an easy fix. KVH has been more than helpful. Rain can cause outages but seldom for more than an hour during heavy downpours.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm looking for a price on the MotoSat HD-SL5. It hits all 5 direct tv satellites ie: 99,101,103,110,119 (to give complete HD programing). I can't find it on the internet-- any body bought one lately?
Old 03-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #21
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Here's where you find the dealers.

Some do not do TV, only data.

http://www.datastormusers.com/dealers.cfm

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #22

You can e-mail me privately at Bill at Internetanywhere.us and I will be happy to give you the necessary information. You can also call me if you like.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Things are getting interesting now, Since I have no desire for HD the Winegard SK 3003 antenna is looking better at $1339.00

The leads handed out are much appreciated and digging through Google this afternoon is paying off.

Jim
Old 03-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i called two dealers the other day, for the MOTOSAT you are looking at close to $2800 and for the Winegard about $1700.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Things are getting interesting now, Since I have no desire for HD the Winegard SK 3003 antenna is looking better at $1339.00 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

If you do not want HD why are you looking at this 3 LNB dish? Do you need multiple Direct satellites or only their basic service on satellite #101? We only wanted basic Direct TV w/o HD so we bought a Kingdome stationary one button (mdl. 9704) for less $$ than the dish you are looking at. We preferred the dome as it is protected, not affected by wind and we don't have to worry about forgetting to lower it before traveling. We have not experienced any rain/dew fade and signal strength has been fine in the areas we usually travel.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">called two dealers the other day, for the MOTOSAT you are looking at close to $2800 and for the Winegard about $1700. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
WOW! I am not sure where you are getting your information but you are WAY off on this comparison. It's possible that you might be able to find a Winegard for something in the $1700 range but Camping World has it listed at $1899 plus installation. The MotoSAT HD-SL5 at full retail is $2295 and is available for less than that if you find a dealer who posts to this and other forums with the best information that is currently available.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:45 PM   #27

The cheapest I have seen the Winegard is $1750 plus installation. As Bill says the MotoSAT retails for $2295, but you can probably get one for a little less. The installation cost would be about the same for both, so on the outside the cost difference would be about $500 or so.

Satellite Internet Solutions
JamieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #28

Jim.

If you are looking at the Winegard SK3003, you might also look at the MotoSAT Executive. If you don't need HD, this dish will work with either DishNetwork or DirecTV on their standard programming satellites. It will not pick up the KA band signals but that doesn't matter if you don't want HD.

In this forum and others, there has been a lot of talk about the advantages and disadvantages between the MotoSAT HD-SL5 and the Winegard that pick up all 5 DirecTV satellites. The same advantages/disadvantages would apply to the MotoSAT Executive vs. the Winegard SK3003. Also, there is only about $150 difference in the two dishes and I believe it would be worth investigating the MotoSAT. If you haven't looked at it and would like to know the differences, let us know and I know that several members here would be happy to give their input. By the way, the MotoSAT retails for $1495.

Satellite Internet Solutions
JamieB is offline   Reply With Quote