Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
satellite dish on roof of my motor home

I have a tracvision R 4sl dish on my roof...which hasn't worked since I purchased the mh..only one owner before me but not available for questions..I have purchased new, a VIP 211K receiver....I hook everything up properly ( I am 90% sure ) and turn everything on...I can hear the dish on the roof...and it seems to make a revolution and turns back, but only goes about half way and stops...then begins to pulsate..seemingly, wanting to continue to turn but doesn't...

What should I check and poosibly replace...a working at a campground mentioned to me that the servo ??? is probably bad...How can I check this and also motors..? Not sure were to start ...

I plan to visit the White Mtns. of NH for several months this summer and most campgrounds up there do not have cable hookups...thanks...

allbsdd@aol.com
kchadw1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #2

Did the previous owner use Direct? You might check to make sure the dish is set up for Dish Network. If you don't have the manual, you can look it up on line.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
Community Moderator

lacking info... depending on when r4sl was installed and whether flash update has been done, you might need to look at that first. use the function of search on this forum you should get tons of info worth days' reading. after that if the issue is persistent, you will need to check if switches/relays inside dome have failed (don't ask me why i know). when you talk to kvh tech support, they may say your rf board is bad buy a new one for $500. don't do that yet. be prepared they are not there helping end customers they are helping dealers.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Try here for info and trouble shooting. You can also search the iRV site.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchadw1944 View Post
I have a tracvision R 4sl dish on my roof...which hasn't worked since I purchased the mh..only one owner before me but not available for questions..I have purchased new, a VIP 211K receiver....I hook everything up properly ( I am 90% sure ) and turn everything on...I can hear the dish on the roof...and it seems to make a revolution and turns back, but only goes about half way and stops...then begins to pulsate..seemingly, wanting to continue to turn but doesn't...

What should I check and poosibly replace...a working at a campground mentioned to me that the servo ??? is probably bad...How can I check this and also motors..? Not sure were to start ...

I plan to visit the White Mtns. of NH for several months this summer and most campgrounds up there do not have cable hookups...thanks...

allbsdd@aol.com
Do you know how old the R4SL is? It may need a firmware upgrade, or it may just need the service keys installed for Dish Network service (if the previous owner had it set up for DirecTV.) We need more info in order to help. There are many previous posts about the TracVision/Dish setup, so a forum search might give you the answer. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #6

OMG Deja Vu

I bought a 'new to me' coach in the fall which has a KVH R4 that was never used. I bought a new Dish 211K receiver to use and could not get the dome to take the flash update (I had all the flashing cables). After reading of many horror stories with the KVH and the high cost of service I gave up and have made an appointment to have a new Winegard Travler installed.

I feel your pain...
Old 04-21-2014, 05:17 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
If you're going to New England, you'll want to make sure your antenna can access the Eastern Arc Dish satellites. You won't be able to (see) the 129 satellite much, if at all, above PA as it will be very low on the horizon. The R4SL has a hybrid mode (Service Key A installed) which uses Sat 61 for HD instead of Sat 129 which will work OK in New England. Many dome antennas are challenging to use Dish Network.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:59 AM   #8

I use 61.5 with my Trav'ler when necessary. That provides locals in HD and all of the most-viewed standard channels in SD. Not as ideal as having the full eastern arc but works fine in a pinch when I'm up north.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, roof, satellite