Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Satellite dish questions

I am new RV owner. I have a Seabreeze 2004 LX8321. The RV is prewired for a Kingdome Sat on the roof. I am thinking of getting a Vu Qube In Motion Satellite. This is a portable model ($1777) that I could mount on rear Ladder and also remove if I need better signal from another ground location. Does any one have advice on this Brand and/or "In Motion" and/or "portable"
Samflhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
My main concern for something like the VuQube is it's portability...it's an expensive piece of equipment that could easily grow legs and walk off.

That being said, although we don't use the VuQube, people who do seem to be happy with them.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
HI SamFL--- Welcome ,

Who do you want "in motion" satellite coverage for-- Wife, kids? If so, get a DVD player hooked up and get some movies for them to watch.

I would mount an antenna system on the roof-- No in motion satellite system will give you an HD signal (at this time). Also, no domed antenna system will give you an HD signal. Since your starting from scratch now, I'd go with a HD antenna system on the roof -- Winegard or MoToSat. You'll also need HD TV's in the rig (I don't think your '04 rig has HD TV's now). Plan on about $3000+ if you go this route--. The HD experience (as you probably know) is like going from black and white TV to color TV-- It's fantastic!

Use a normal satellite antenna on a tri-pod in an area where the roof mounted system can't hit the satellites. Move the tri-pod/dish to a clear area and run the cable into the external cable TV input connection on your motor home-- It works fine that way. I wouldn't (personally) try to carry a dish capable of hitting 5 satellites (DirecTv) for HD purposes --- Too big and bulky. I used the tri pod and hit one satellite for years for good TV, but this new HD era has me sold on quality HDTV. I have DirecTv.

The first time I saw the Vu Qube I had the same thought as LindaH.

Good luck for what ever you do-----
Old 05-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome Samflhomes. I live full time in my motorhome and have a Winegard in-motion dome. I only use it in motion on occassion if traveling to listen to a sports event I can't get on the radio. I can't give you advice about the VuCube but friends have one for quite a while and are quite happy with it. Theirs is not an in motion one. It is an older model.

Max is right somewhat when he says no in motion/dome dish will get HD. They will not get Directv HD. I know at least the Winegard can get Dishnetwork HD. I have Dishnetwork.

I wish you the best with whatever you choose.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
HI SamFL--- Welcome ,

Who do you want "in motion" satellite coverage for-- Wife, kids? If so, get a DVD player hooked up and get some movies for them to watch.

I would mount an antenna system on the roof-- No in motion satellite system will give you an HD signal (at this time). Also, no domed antenna system will give you an HD signal. Since your starting from scratch now, I'd go with a HD antenna system on the roof -- Winegard or MoToSat. You'll also need HD TV's in the rig (I don't think your '04 rig has HD TV's now). Plan on about $3000+ if you go this route--. The HD experience (as you probably know) is like going from black and white TV to color TV-- It's fantastic!

Use a normal satellite antenna on a tri-pod in an area where the roof mounted system can't hit the satellites. Move the tri-pod/dish to a clear area and run the cable into the external cable TV input connection on your motor home-- It works fine that way. I wouldn't (personally) try to carry a dish capable of hitting 5 satellites (DirecTv) for HD purposes --- Too big and bulky. I used the tri pod and hit one satellite for years for good TV, but this new HD era has me sold on quality HDTV. I have DirecTv.

The first time I saw the Vu Qube I had the same thought as LindaH.

Good luck for what ever you do-----
Max appears to have forgotten that only DirecTV account holders cannot get the HDTV signal with a dome or the VuCube (a dome in an odd shaped box). Dish Network subscribers can still receive the HD programming with most any standard LNB/dish setup.
Additionally, while everyone likes to insist that HDTV is the "bee's knees" it's unlikely that you will see any significant difference between regular satellite TV and HD satellite TV unless you also have TV's large enough to take advantage of this additional resolution. "In general", I would suggest that you need to have TV's that are at least 32" in size.
You also have to know what kind of TV you like to watch. If you are a fan of the old Western's, they were not filmed in HD and not matter how the picture is broadcast, they will still never be in HD. That means that most anything that was filmed before 2007 was also not in HD and never will be. Watching the news in HD is still just the news. Weather radar in HD is no better than it is in digital. Sound? Now I do have to say that watching a show in HD does provide better sound. I really like the sound in HD!
Remember that HD is also available for free from your over-the-air broadcast TV if you are in an area where the OTA signal is available. Last year we watched the Super Bowl in HD in Las Vegas by cranking up the antenna on our friends coach. It was great!
Now, back to your post......
If you are considering mounting the VuCube to your ladder and running the connecting cable to your KVH pre-wire then you have an roof mounted antenna that is just as secure as anyone else's roof mounted antenna and security should not be a consideration. You could make a connection with a barrel connector before the coax enters the roof and with this disconnected you could remove the VuCube from the ladder mount and place it where you choose with a new cable running directly to the receiver. At this point your VuCube is a security risk so think twice before you leave it outside all night.
The in-motion option is stickily a personal one. Very, very few folks ever actually watch TV while driving. Do you have kids? Could they get by watching a video or watching something you recorded earlier on a DVR? When traveling East to West you will be on the far side of the road from the trees and reception is generally pretty good. If you are traveling West to East, those same trees are right beside the road and will frequently block the view to the satellite and cause an "are we there yet" response from the kids frustrated by trying to watch a TV that freezes every 10-30 seconds. How do you suppose the comics know how to tell a joke who's punchline is always spoken just as you pass under a bridge?
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:43 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I stand corrected about Dish HD TV----- Sorry.

I sure didn't know that you could receive an HD siginal, with a domed antenna, in motion or stationary. Good for dish---
Old 05-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Because the VuQube is a portable unit, it is not set up for "in motion." And considering the cost of the one you're looking at, I think I'd opt for a "real" satellite dish that would receive HD...*IF* you're at all interested in HD or think you will be in the future. The initial cost of a Winegard or Motosat open-faced multiple-LNB dish that is capable of receiving HD programming will be initially a little more than the VuQube you're looking at, but it will be capable of receiving all the programming you want without the inherent problems of a dome.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
Because the VuQube is a portable unit, it is not set up for "in motion." And considering the cost of the one you're looking at, I think I'd opt for a "real" satellite dish that would receive HD...*IF* you're at all interested in HD or think you will be in the future. The initial cost of a Winegard or Motosat open-faced multiple-LNB dish that is capable of receiving HD programming will be initially a little more than the VuQube you're looking at, but it will be capable of receiving all the programming you want without the inherent problems of a dome.
The VuQube is available in a number if different varieties including an in-motion unit.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Bill, how does it do "in motion" when it's a portable unit and not permanently mounted on the roof?
Old 05-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
Bill, how does it do "in motion" when it's a portable unit and not permanently mounted on the roof?
Easy, the in-motion version can be permanently mounted or mounted on a removable mount that allows in-motion and portable.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #11

So does anybody here actually have an experience to share with using the Vuqube 3000 particularly in reguards to the in-motion feature?
cydonia-jacc is offline   Reply With Quote