Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #1

Satellite Dish Selection - Science or Migrane

This may be a tad long but it may be educational for some newbies on buying a satellite dish. Believe me I’m still very much a newbie.

What I was trying to accomplish when I bought, yes it is already bought and in use, my Pathway X2, was to watch two different channels on two TV’s.

Did a lot of searching on this website, other RV forums, DISH Network website, and Winegard website. Finally ready, I called DISH. When I mentioned RV, was transferred to the RV section. I told the representative exactly what I wanted to do. She stated I would need two Wallys and a Pathfinder X2 to watch two channels on a portable satellite. She also added the programs on each TV would have to come from the same satellite. No problem.

Made my purchase on Amazon – Pathway X2, two Wallys, and tripod stand.

Installed and threw all boxes in the RV parks dumpster. Yes, they were emptied the next day.

Spent two days on the phone with Winegard and DISH to determine why I could not consistently receive two separate channels on two TVs. I would the main TV on one channel and the bedroom TV on the same channel and nothing. After hours of total exasperation, was transferred to DISH’s advance support. In three hours problem was solved. The two TV mode for different channels only works on one satellite in the Eastern Arc. Nice.

I reread the Winegard and DISH website information concerning the Pathway X2 many times. They did say both TV’s had to be watching programs on the same satellite. I did not pickup on the one satellite was in the Eastern arch and the only channels were SD and not HD. (This was in direct contrast to the information I received from the DiSH advance support group. They were sure it was HD.)

AND, DISH’s advanced support said I needed a Tailgater 2 to watch two different channels on two TVs since this function would not be limited to one satellite. The secondary TV could watch any program on the satellite the Main TV was using.

I am back to square one! I would like to have a portable satellite dish that would allow me to watch a football game on the main TV and let DW watch programs on the bedroom TV.

Does anyone have the straight skinny on what I should purchase?

Last but not least. I have a four day old Pathway X2 for sale.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #2

yes, KingTailgater2

-the MAIN tv receiver can Acquire any of the three Western Arc sats(110,119,129) and all the channels for each that you are subscribed to
-the SECONDARY tv receiver can only VIEW a channel that originates from the satellite that the Main receiver is tuned to at the time the Secondary receiver runs it's 'Acquiring Signal' screen.

steps:
-run the setup screen for the MAIN receiver/tv. Whenever you are attached to the KingTailgater2 it will ask you what STATE you are in, and will automatically acquire the satellites determined by that information. That's any, or all, of the three satellites that it can 'see', of course.
-once you have the MAIN receiver/tv receiving channels, decide which Satellite that you want the SECONDARY receiver to be able to receive channels from(your Football game, movie, etc., will determine which channel and satellite you will want to keep the MAIN receiver tuned to during this setup). Tune the MAIN tv to this channel, and then plug in or reset the SECONDARY receiver/tv.
The SECONDARY receiver will 'acquire' the signal from only the Satellite that the MAIN receiver is currently tuned to, thus for the reason that this is the only set of channels that the secondary receiver/tv will be able to view. You will now be able to use the MAIN tv and the SECONDARY tv successfully, and on different channels, BUT only as long as the MAIN tv stays on the same original satellite.
If you tune the MAIN tv to a channel that is on a different satellite, the SECONDARY receiver will show the 'Channel Not Available' screen, at least until you tune the MAIN receiver back to the original satellite.

Confusing, but useful when you finally figure out how to MANAGE this setup. It's nice to have this 'secondary' receiver/tv option, and if you have the secondary tv with an HDMI cable to it's receiver it will ALSO receive any HD channels on the satellite.

Over time, I even ran coax from our receiver 'out' to our boys bunk tvs so that they could also view Satellite tv, although they only see the same as what we are watching, but it's an option!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #3

Any dome system is easier to setup but is serious lacking when two viewers are in the RV. Assuming you do not want the expense of a Winegard Trav'ler (preferred solution) then a ground tripod dish is the answer.

Either the DPP 1000.4 or the DPP 1000.4 dish with work as either gets all the satellites in the Eastern Arc or the Western arc depending on the LNBF head installed. The DPP 1000.4 has a built-in elevation adjustment but TV4RV.com has a kit to add screw elevation to the DPP 1000.2. The DPP 1000.2 is a bit smaller to carry.

There are three satellites in the WA and two in the EA.

Definitely get a TV4RV.com HD tripod which is based on a surveyor tripod which enables a vertical mast on uneven ground.

A good meter makes it more feasible to setup the tripod farther away from the RV. It is hard to watch the meter display on the receiver when the dish is 200' from the RV.

You have a choice of receivers to accomplish separate viewing. Two VIP211s or two Wallys single receivers will work. The older VIP622 and VIP722 DVRs provide for two TVs but the second is limited to SD viewing. A Hopper is a more elegant solution with up to four TVs viewing separate programming,
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:15 PM   #4

The X2 in 2 receiver mode will only try to lock onto satellite 72 in the eastern sky. It does have a bunch of channels and HD but no locals.

So that worked for you but only when you have a clear view of the eastern sky, correct?

A multi lnb dish will, either automatically with the Traveler, or manually with a home style dish, get all three western arc satellites. That would work as well but costs much more (Traveler) or requires you to manually point dish west. An eastern arc satellite dish, 2 or 3 head works, but again you must manual point east.

Depending on your travels, an X2 will work, but only when the eastern sky is clear. Even if you have a Traveler or manually pointed dishes, there will be times when the sky is not clear.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
A good meter makes it more feasible to setup the tripod farther away from the RV. It is hard to watch the meter display on the receiver when the dish is 200' from the RV.
Where can I get this meter?
rvtips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post

Where can I get this meter?
For most applications, the First Strike FS1 is a very good meter.

If planning for a Hopper 3, then a Super Buddy would be the best choice.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:48 AM   #7

I have a signal finder, too, which I've used infrequently, but have found that using two cell phones works even better, if you have someone to help and you have the Antenna a long distance from the outside TV screen, or on the other side of the coach.

I do a video chat, Facetime, or GoogleHangout, so that while I am at the Antenna trying to find the best satellite signals - I can actually watch the TV 'pointing' screen while I'm doing it.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
I have a signal finder, too, which I've used infrequently, but have found that using two cell phones works even better, if you have someone to help and you have the Antenna a long distance from the outside TV screen, or on the other side of the coach.

I do a video chat, Facetime, or GoogleHangout, so that while I am at the Antenna trying to find the best satellite signals - I can actually watch the TV 'pointing' screen while I'm doing it.
Just wondering. How far away can a King Tailgater 2 be and how often you have to watch the TV screen for it to aim itself?
Old 10-27-2016, 05:50 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
The model 322G is a two TV sat receiver.

Its an older receiver, Model #322G that we use at home. When we travel, we pull that reciever out of the house and use it in the MH. This is basically 2 standard definition receivers in one box. It has two remotes, one for each of the receivers. One of the remotes is an Infrared remote, it must be line of sight of the receiver. The other is an RF remote, and works anywhere withing about 100 ft of the receiver.

I use a two LNB (110, 119) antenna at home. (I think they call it a System 500)

I use a 1000.2 (three LNB - 110, 119, 129) antenna that sits on a tripod when we travel. The 322R receiver only uses two of the LNBs (110 and 119). I replaced the nuts on the Elevation and Skew with wingnuts to make adjusting easy. I also use wingnuts to mount the dish reflector so I can take it on/off for storage while traveling.

Pointing is fairly easy. I set the elevation and skew angles, cover the two outer LNBs with cans (110, 129) so it only sees 119 (the middle LNB), find Sat 119 with a sat finder squawk box, uncover the LNBs, and in almost every case, just a little tweaking and I'm done.

The tripod MUST be level. otherwise you'll be chasing satellites for hours. (experience)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Satellite_10_800.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	142773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sf95-Satellite-signal-meter.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	142774  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish_322_lrg.jpg