Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2009, 07:41 AM   #1

Satellite Dish to TV Connecting Cable

I have an outside coax connection on my 5th wheel that I connect to cable TV when it is available. Can I use this same connection and coax cable to connect a satellite dish? We only have one TV in the 5th wheel. If I can use this connection, will it give me good resolution when receiving HD programing or does that require an HDMI cable? I also have optional wiring to the roof that would enable the installation of a satellite dish on the roof, but I was under the impression that it is more than just a coax cable as used to receive cable TV and I'm not sure I want to spend the money to have a dish on the roof. As you can tell I'm not very well versed on this topic.

We received a Dish program package from my son for Christmas and I'm trying to assess the feasibility of taking it with us this winter. I'd appreciate some input here or a referral to another post is this is already covered by someone.

Ron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2009, 08:04 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Most exterior cable connections on RVs have a splitter inline which can't be used for satellite TV.

You can either remove the splitter, or better yet, run another, separate, line from the outside directly to the receiver.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #3

First a clarification. The connection between the satellite antenna and the satellite receiver is going to be some good RG6 coax cabling whether you use a SD receiver or an HD receiver. It is only the connections between the receiver and the TV that may or may not require an HDMI or other upgraded cable.
As mentioned above the cable connection "may not" work for your satellite TV connection. If this connection goes to a Video Control Center inside the coach where you can select TV/SAT/ANT, etc. then you may be able to use this connection by disconnecting the coax designated as cable in the back of this box and use it to connect directly to your satellite receiver. However, if you do not have such a control center and you get cable at multiple locations then you likely have splitters in place which will negate the use of this connection for satellite input.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:24 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can it be used for Sat-tv. Yes.

Should you: NO!!! in most cases.. here is why

Most trailers and coaches are wired with RG-59 for that cable. Now, decent RG-59 is like 4 times as long, electornically as the same lenght of good RG-6 (Source, Belkin cables, they make the stuff) so 25 feet of RG-59 is like 100 feet of RG-6, but that only tells half the story.. In my coach the existing cable is not Decent RG-59, it's el-cheapo rg-59, IN fact this is about the only major compalint I have about Damon is the quality (or lack there of) of the coax. The other stuff they put in there (Like for example a PD-9180 converter with charge wizard) is 1st rate for the most part.. Ok, the Dometic Microwave and Zenith VCR (Both made by LG electronics) suck a bit, but that's not Damon's fault. Zenith used to be a quality brand and DOmetic, usually is too. I've never been luckey enough to have a Goldstar that worked right though and these, plus my Insignia TV converter (Another LG product) are no exceptions.

Now... Depending on your uint you have one of two TV-source switches.

The most common for smaller rigs is a wall plate This is the same size as a standard outlet or switch cover in your house, it has a 12 volt outlet (Big roudn hole) a TV-antenna connection (Small threaded fitting) a Switch and a light.. This is your Cable/Antenna selector switch and antenna pre-amp power supply and splitter

If you remove the plate from the box on the back you will see 3 or 4 coax connecitons, 3 (likely) will be populated

Looking at them from the back, with the cables coming off pointing down they are

Antenna, Park Cable, TV-2, and optinally TV-3

Remove the coax from PARK CABLE

We may use this cable later.. (more on this in a bit) so remove it from the box if you can and extend it using a common barrel connector (Double female) to the back of the Sat receiver... Do not connect at this time, stick a lable on it "Park Cable"

now.. Hook a 2nd length of cable, again 59 is ok, to the port you just unhooked it from (park cable inlet) on the winegard switch splitter and extend that to the TV-OUT on the sat receiver, Connect.

If you have an older Sat-TV receiver without a built in ATSC tuner, Connect the 1st cable (park cable) to the TV-ANT IN.

If the Sat receiver has a built in ATSC tuner we will do something different, but I've not worked out jsut what yet This will take a lot of work)

For the Sat Receiver LNB in use RG-6, and I recommend high quality. Run a cable from the reciever to any handy connection point, either a bulkhead (Through wall) connector or a ground block mounted in the basement.. If you have a dual receiver (DVRs are dual) run two cables.

Now.... That's it.

Truth table for older sat-tv receivers

Wall plat switch ON.. Rooftop antenna
Wall plate switch OFF sat receiver ON-Sat tv
Both plate and sat receiver off, Park cable

Winegard's suggestion discards the park cable option

The other option is if you have a Video Director type switch.

This is a box of many buttons. you can pick a different source (ANT/DVD/VCR/SAT/AUX) for each television if you wish.

In that case the park-cable cable runs direct to the back of the switch box. I'd leave alone and run RG-6 as stated above. Then run the TV-OUT to the Sat TV in on teh switch box.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Can it be used for Sat-tv. Yes.

Should you: NO!!! in most cases.. here is why
This part of the above answer is mostly misleading.
1) Can you use it is really maybe based upon how it is wired internally.
2) Should you use it is completely incorrect. RG-59 cabling used to wire the interior of a coach is going to be so short that the difference between using RG-6 or RG-59 will not make any difference.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #6

I have the wall plate as you described rather than the Video Control Center Box as Bill Adams described, but I'm a little confused with your instructions. I'm going to have a new satellite receiver so I'm assuming the ASTC tuner is built in, so I guess what you've described won't work. I think I'll not have my Dish subscription activated until spring when I return and that will give more time to assess what I need to do. After reading more posts at this site, it sounds like an an automatic dish on the roof would be the cleanest and most convenient way to go providing I can park in the open. In the southwest that isn't a problem. In Michigan it is. Thanks for your responses.

Ron.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgevans871 View Post
I have the wall plate as you described rather than the Video Control Center Box as Bill Adams described, but I'm a little confused with your instructions. I'm going to have a new satellite receiver so I'm assuming the ASTC tuner is built in, so I guess what you've described won't work. I think I'll not have my Dish subscription activated until spring when I return and that will give more time to assess what I need to do. After reading more posts at this site, it sounds like an an automatic dish on the roof would be the cleanest and most convenient way to go providing I can park in the open. In the southwest that isn't a problem. In Michigan it is. Thanks for your responses.

Ron.
Don't confuse a TV tuner (ASTC) with a satellite receiver. If you want to watch over-the-air programming, this is accomplished with your roof mounted Winegard "bat-wing" (or similar) antenna. Depending upon the age of your coach you either have the standard analog TV (big 'ole thing that only receives channels 2,3,4,etc.) or one of the newer flat screen digital TV's that is capable of receiving a digital signal (channels 3.1, 4.2, etc.) The standard satellite TV receiver will work with any of these TV's and will provide a SD TV signal to the older analog TV's or you can pay for and receive the HDTV programming from the satellite providers and connect this HD receiver to an HD TV.
If you are wanting to watch Network TV programming (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) while you are traveling you will need to use the bat-wing antenna and you MUST either have a recent TV capable of receiving the new digital signals or you MUST have one of the digital-to-analog converter boxes. You can also receive these Networks (not local, but Networks from the East and West Coasts) by subscribing to the Distant Network Services from your satellite TV provider.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
This part of the above answer is mostly misleading.
1) Can you use it is really maybe based upon how it is wired internally.
2) Should you use it is completely incorrect. RG-59 cabling used to wire the interior of a coach is going to be so short that the difference between using RG-6 or RG-59 will not make any difference.
Bill.. Recently I got a lesson in the difference.. Now in the past I"ve gone on what Belkin says (They should know what they make) but I had a member here who complained he had a strong signal on his sat signal meter but nothing on the DirecTV receiver, one of the new ones with an ATSC turner in it for over the air.

Well. I quickly fixed his satellite issue (He did indeed have a signal in the 90's and on sat 119.. I won't bore you with the meaning of that,,, suffice to say the receiver worked great when we got 101 up on the display instead)

But I hooked up his ATSC for him too.. Now.. his coach builder did not believe in RG-59 and wired it with all RG-6

First time in my life I have seen 100% on a signal strength meter

(Using the same antenna he does I peak in the 80's same channel, less than 200 yeads between us and I"m on higher ground)
Old 12-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Bill.. Recently I got a lesson in the difference.. Now in the past I"ve gone on what Belkin says (They should know what they make) but I had a member here who complained he had a strong signal on his sat signal meter but nothing on the DirecTV receiver, one of the new ones with an ATSC turner in it for over the air.

Well. I quickly fixed his satellite issue (He did indeed have a signal in the 90's and on sat 119.. I won't bore you with the meaning of that,,, suffice to say the receiver worked great when we got 101 up on the display instead)

But I hooked up his ATSC for him too.. Now.. his coach builder did not believe in RG-59 and wired it with all RG-6

First time in my life I have seen 100% on a signal strength meter

(Using the same antenna he does I peak in the 80's same channel, less than 200 yeads between us and I"m on higher ground)
Somehow we moved off of satellite TV to over-the-air TV. No significant difference with satellite TV and RG6 or RG-59. If the signal were 80 or 100 you would have the exact same picture. The same is true with ATSC, however.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:55 AM   #10
paz

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ron - There is another disadvantage to using the cable port for satellite hookup. The single cable port will only allow you to connect to 1 LNB on the satellite dish. If you want to get a DVR, you will need the output from a dual LNB so you can watch one channel while recording another (or record 2 channels at once). Most LNBs for SD TV have dual outputs so you can use them with a DVR; but if you use the cable port, you will only be able to connect to 1 LNB output.

You also asked about an HDMI cable. That goes from the receiver to the TV, and the RG-6 cable goes from the dish to the receiver.

paz is offline   Reply With Quote