Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2017, 03:15 PM   #1

Satellite for TV Help

Hello! New to the forum and an rv rookie at best. Hear this is the place to go for all things travel trailer. Have some ridiculous questions regarding television service. Simply, How do I get cable tv in our trailer when not at a site with cable? Do I need to purchase a satellite? If so, what do you recommend? Will it need to mount on the roof? Id rather not put holes in the trailer. Do we pay a service fee for it? We have direct tv service at our home. Is there a service thru them we should get for the trailer? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Centex10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #2

CENTEX, buy a DTV dish and bring your DTV box from the house and put it in the RV. Put the dish on the roof or on a tripod. No need to contact DTV unless you want local channels at the site you camp at.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Conchasjim Send a message via Yahoo to Conchasjim
Let's start with some basics. Cable tv service and Satellite tv service are 2 completely different services. Cable is only available through a cable connected to your RV. If your staying at a park with cable service, just connect up and your good to go. If your boon docking, not an option.
Satellite service will require a dish and a receiver. The dish would have to be aligned or tuned to receive the signal form the satellite up in the earths atmosphere. Every time you move the RV, this would have to be done anew. This can be done manually or with a modern automatic type system. You would have to have the receiver authorized with direct tv or dish network. Since you already have direct tv at home you can contact them for an additional receiver or you can take the one from home and use it in the RV. But, the system at home has to be compatible with the system n your RV.
Conchasjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:25 PM   #4

Satellite for TV Help

Thanks guys. Sounds like I need to get a portable DTV satellite dish and use are home receiver. How do I determine what dishes are compatible with our receivers at home?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex10 View Post
Thanks guys. Sounds like I need to get a portable DTV satellite for the rv.
yes go buy a automatic wineguard pathway x2 6000 with receiver for about
$400 hook up and pay dish net 37$ and up per month for whatever time u use it ;;works perfect and all HD Tv
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #6

I just bought the King Tailgater and receiver. Signed up for 30 days with Dish for 35 a month. Worked perfect while down in the Keys last 2 weeks.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:53 PM   #7

I just bought a satellite dish for my TT. I have DTV at home so I called them and got a receiver from them for 70.00 bucks. they came out and set up the receiver. They said that I could use my home DTV account for my TT with the only thing being I would have to call them before departing and they would switch my home account over to TT and there would be no extra charge. However I never called them and everything still works great. I have used it several times but you will have to find the southern sky to get your signal. You can use your home receiver but I didn;t want the hassle of unhooking home system and then rehooking when I return, your call works either way.
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:04 AM   #8

I have DTV and have one receiver that I move between my homes and my RV.... we have a dish on each house and a portable dish we carry with us... Direct TV gave me both the dish and the stand... no charge...

The stand was huge... we sort of changed that for our needs...

I turn on the TV and the receiver and plug in the zip code where we are sitting... the receiver gives me the settings... I've done this enough that usually I can align the dish and have it up and running in 10-15 min...

The only issue is that if you want the local channels, you have to call and have the receiver location re-set.. and that's always been an issue with Direct....
Old 01-25-2017, 06:14 AM   #9

Why does anyone call DTV to set up in the RV. Ya get your own dish to use for 50-60 bucks , make a tripod , or spend extra dollars on an automatic seeking dish. The OP already said he has DTV at home and he wanted TV if the camp ground didn't have a cable hook up. He can take a box from home and put it in the RV. If he has Geni he can get an extra non Geni box for for 7.50 per month rental . I bought a box on line from an authorized dealer for 99.00 bucks, told DTV it was a bedroom addition. Some people want their local news when they travel outside their home zone ,then you need to call DTV for assistance. This is not rocket science. @ OP look on your roof and see what the dish shape and kind of LNB you have ,then go on line and look for a similar one.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #10

Thanks for all the advice. What brand/kind of satellite do y'all recommend that will be compatible with direct tv? I have discovered today that these things are pretty expensive. Hard for me to justify spending $500-$2000 for a satellite dish when watching tv while camping is not a high priority of mine. I just don't see my family watching enough tv to justify that expense. It is more for the kids than anything. Are there good used dishes for sale out there? Is buying used a bad idea? Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #11

Satellite for rv

I'm pretty new to rv'ing. Mounted a tv and now want access to television when no cable is available. Have direct tv at home. Figured I'd purchase a direct tv compatible satellite dish for the travel trailer and take a box from a home tv when we go. Have determined that these satellite dishes are much more expensive than I thought they would be. Difficult for me to justify the expense when I doubt we'll watch too much tv. It will primarily be used by the children. Do y'all have any direct tv compatible satellite dish recommendations for me? Are there good used ones available? Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #12

I have the Winegard portable G2+ satellite and use Directv. Just be sure your receiver is compatible with the satellite you purchase.
ftum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex10 View Post
Thanks for all the advice. What brand/kind of satellite do y'all recommend that will be compatible with direct tv? I have discovered today that these things are pretty expensive. Hard for me to justify spending $500-$2000 for a satellite dish when watching tv while camping is not a high priority of mine. I just don't see my family watching enough tv to justify that expense. It is more for the kids than anything. Are there good used dishes for sale out there? Is buying used a bad idea? Thanks again.
Try eBay or Craigslist. Craigslist is where I sold my old receiver and dish.

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:16 PM   #14

Yep, your pocket book is the limit.
Most new dishes that are for sale will say which systems they are compatible with.
I had a King Dome in motion satellite system on our last MH, and it was so slow i could probably manually aim one quicker than it would find a satellite.
Nothing wrong with good working used equipment. I have seen several people just use a basic dish just like the one on your house, many of these can be found for free from somebody changing companies or moving out of their house. all you have to do than is, mount it to a base or tripod. The trick with this set up is to make sure the dish mounting post is true and plumb or you will lose your satellite lock.
Hope this helps a little.

Tags
satellite