Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2006, 12:46 PM   #1

I would like to purchase satellite service and have a question. We do not have a dish on the RV so I plan to use a portable one on a tripod. In the left overhead bin by the TV there is a satellite in and out coax hookup. The dealer tells me there cannot be a splitter in the coax between the dish and the reciever.
Can someone tell me if the satellite hook up in the overhead bin meets that criteria. I don't see how it could if it is fed from the coax hookup in my outside bin where I normally hook up a cable feed.
Is the satellite hookup fed from a separate coax? If so where is it located.
I have never used satellite before so I am limited in understanding how it needs to be hooked up.
Thanks for all your help.
I have a 37G 2001 Adventurer if that helps.
SeaRay

Moved from Winnebago Owners Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2006, 12:46 PM   #2

I would like to purchase satellite service and have a question. We do not have a dish on the RV so I plan to use a portable one on a tripod. In the left overhead bin by the TV there is a satellite in and out coax hookup. The dealer tells me there cannot be a splitter in the coax between the dish and the reciever.
Can someone tell me if the satellite hook up in the overhead bin meets that criteria. I don't see how it could if it is fed from the coax hookup in my outside bin where I normally hook up a cable feed.
Is the satellite hookup fed from a separate coax? If so where is it located.
I have never used satellite before so I am limited in understanding how it needs to be hooked up.
Thanks for all your help.
I have a 37G 2001 Adventurer if that helps.
SeaRay

Moved from Winnebago Owners Forum
Old 03-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #3

The Satellite in and out connections in the left overhead bin on my 2006 Adventurer are ment to be connected to the satellite receiver that you would place in that compartment. The satellite out cable connects to the Winegard antenna switch in the right overhead compartment.

There are two satellite-in connections in my left overhead compartment. One is wired to the antenna on the roof. The other is wired to a connector in one of my outside compartments. I use a switch purchased at Radio Shack to select the input source. I dont think that you will have this problem as you do not have a rooof antenna. Good luck.

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=664&cat=2
ARNE-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #4

I understand newer coaches may have a satellite input as well as cable. I have seen some added to the coach wall near the front of the coach.

Short answer is yes, you can use the cable input to bring satellite feed into the coach.

Long answer ... We have Dish Network satellite, and use a portable dish, with the input through the cable port. Our installer was a bright young guy who put the required pieces in place so we can use either cable or satellite through the cable port on the rare occasion we might want to. After getting the satellite into the coach, he went behind the selection box and added a pecial splitters to the satellite input (with output to the satellite and cable inputs on the switch box) so we can use the switch box that came in the coach. The splitters at the input point, and the one behind the switch box, MUST be "power passing" on one side, and not on the other. It is clearly marked "Satellite" on one side, and "Antenna" on the other for the cable. He had only one, and I got the second one at a Radio Shack.

The park we are presently in is the first we have connected both cable and satellite. We've grown to like the Dish network program guide so much that we find we rarely turn to catv ...normally only to check the local forecast on The Weather Channel. I suspect if we had left the original wiring in place, we could have simply hooked up satellite to the cable input port and watched satellite with the switch box set on cable, just as we could watch cable if hooked up to cable. The satellite setting then would work only with the rooftop dish.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Searay,

Even though you don't have a sat dish on the roof, the '01 Winnie specs for your unit says it is "satellite ready". I think the "satellite in" coax goes up to your roof. There is usually a decal on the roof to indicate where to mount a dish and the other end of the coax will be under there. Of course, the "out" coax just goes over to the video selection box.

The coax hookup in your outside bin should go directly to the video select box. I think some owners have added an "A/B" switch to switch the coax coming from the outside compartment to either the video select "cable" input or to the sat receiver.

If in doubt call Winnie customer service at 800-537-1885. They should be able to tell you all about it.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:53 PM   #6
abn

We use satellite via a port dish mounted on a tripod. To get the cable from the dish into the RV I utilize a flat coax segment (which you can buy at Camping World ... search word = "Flat TV Cable") that I put in the driver's door.

Hope this helps
Old 03-07-2006, 07:23 AM   #7

Maybe I can simplify Paul's response. In order to use the coax in the outside compartment all you need is to add is 2 splitters, one for each end of the coax. The splitters are labled for 2 inputs and 1 output, the inputs are labled Sat and Ant. Once these are installed all you need to do is run 2 short pieces of coax, one from the Sat and one from the Ant to the appropriate connectors on your switching box. On the other end you can connect either or both Sat input or Ant (cable) input. Basically this lets you run both sat and cable on the same coax.

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:53 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Of course there is the Arkansas way, hook the portable antenna coax direct to the receiver by passing it thru the driver side window. Use your coax port in the bin for cable.Then we just sit back and spit thru our missing teeth...
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:08 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Of course there is the Arkansas way, hook the portable antenna coax direct to the receiver by passing it thru the driver side window. Use your coax port in the bin for cable.Then we just sit back and spit thru our missing teeth... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you run the park cable to the rear off-air antenna/cable connector on the back of your satellite receiver you can switch between satellite and cable using your satellite receiver's remote input selector. This is the way I'm hooked up now.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote