RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I have read through these posts and I'm more confused than ever. Is there any way to have internet connections on the road without using a cell phone card?? One member told me about his set up but it was $5k plus satellite dish system. Is there any cheaper way? I didn't have a lot of success with my Spring PC card . . . is the Verizon that superior? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I have read through these posts and I'm more confused than ever. Is there any way to have internet connections on the road without using a cell phone card?? One member told me about his set up but it was $5k plus satellite dish system. Is there any cheaper way? I didn't have a lot of success with my Spring PC card . . . is the Verizon that superior? Thanks.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #3

Graciesmom,
The satellite internet system has, by far, the very best coverage. It works in AK, Canada, Mexico and the entire lower 48. The only restriction is that you need a clear view of the Southern sky so you can't park your RV under the trees.
The $5000 system your friend is referring to is a fully automatic roof mounted antenna. It's called a MotoSAT Datastorm and it gives you the ability to have a working internet connection in 5-10 minutes from the time you park (no satellite internet system works while in-motion) in any weather and all the hardware stores on the roof while you travel. The monthly service is $79.99/month and you will see speeds in the 100-150K up and 800-1000K down range. Cell cards can be faster when you are in the right area, about the same in some areas, slower in a lot of the Country and of no use at all if there is not a usable signal.
There is also a manual satellite internet setup available. In most cases these setups cost less than $1500 and the monthly service is available for $59, $69 or $79/month. The $69/month plan is the same as that described above for the automatics. The big drawback to the manual systems is the time and effort it takes to set them up. With time it only takes about 30 minutes (although someone is about to tell you they can do it in 10!) to assemble and point the antenna. If you only move every few weeks or less it's certainly not a problem. If you are actually moving every few days or weekly it can sometimes be too much bother to set the system up for such a short stay.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your computer has WiFi capability you can access the internet when you are in range of a WiFi access point - usually maybe a hundred feet or so.
Some (more than half nowadays?) campgrounds have WiFi. Sometimes it's free and sometimes it costs. In some states (TX for one) WiFi is available at many rest stops.

Most laptops have WiFi if bought in the last four years or so. If not you can buy a card that will provide it. Cards are also available for desktop computers.

AS full timers we were not satisfied with WiFi and got a Verizon data plan for $59 per month. With a two year contract we got a free aircard.

We have used it all over the U.S. and have only been without internet access in a couple of places. In the last year we usually have had broadband access just about everywhere as well.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree that campground WiFi is hit and miss. Mostly miss, and it is the least dependable and most inconvenient way to get online.

Reading several forums, I believe a Verizon aircard is the next step up in convenience and reliability.

Moving up would be a satellite tripod system that Bill mentions above. It's relative low price (as far as satellite systems go) is offset by the need to set it up, take it down and stow it while traveling. Not too convenient for frequent movers.

The most convenient and most expensive system is as automatic satellite system on the roof of your rig.

It all depends on your wants and needs.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GraciesMom:
I didn't have a lot of success with my Spring PC card </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What kind of problems have you had with your Sprint card?

Do you have your card set up for "Automatic" under both Mode and Roaming (Menu &gt; Settings &gt; Sprint Mobile Broadband)?

Do you have an external antenna and an amplifier (assuming that your air card is one that will take an adapter)?

I, too, wasn't too happy with my Sprint air card until I made the above changes. Of course, we still travel in places where we aren't near a cell tower, so the air card won't work in those places. We also have a satellite Internet system (tripod-mounted), and I'm in the process right now of trying to decide which one to keep...my air card contract is up this coming March, so I'll have to make a decision by then.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #7

We are fulltimers that run 3 internet business from the road. We have used Verizon air cards since they came out. Most of the time we have coverage, there are days when it can be very slow, but most anywhere we can get online and do what we need to with Verizon Air Card. There are getting but all the time! For the money you can not beat it.

05 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304
BigRigRVing is offline   Reply With Quote