Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #1

Satellite Receiver Advice Needed

I am in need of a little guidance.
  • We have a 2008 Gulfstream Crescendo diesel pusher that we picked up in April.
  • There is a dome on the roof, but no satellite receiver.
  • In the cabinet with the controls for the A/V, there is a plate with an on/off switch - says Winegard, HD Ready, MV IN-MOTION SATELLITE. If I flip the switch, I can hear it start hunting, so that appears functional.
  • Have DirecTV back at home.
I have been doing some internet search and wading through the forums. It looks like the whole question of best satellite TV and related hardware is a cumbersome, confusing, and continually changing landscape. And it sound like most of the big commercial RV places like Camping World do not necessarily provide the ideal solution.

We have two TVs, but the primary TV in the living area is the only one I am concerned with getting satellite for. The TV works great with the over-the-air antenna and with cable when that is available.

I assume the first thing I should do is climb up on the roof and determine exactly what Winegard dome I have.

Should I be looking at keeping my existing dome or moving to one of the dishes on the roof?
Should I be doing DirecTV (since that is the home service)?
Do I get the receiver from DirecTV? Ebay?
Do I need professional installation, or is this a simple upgrade?
Anything else I need to know or take into account?
Grey Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Would be helpful to know what the prior owner used (Dish or Direct). Get the model number for your dome and research for info on it. The more you know, the easier it is to help answer questions.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Beard View Post
I am in need of a little guidance.
  • We have a 2008 Gulfstream Crescendo diesel pusher that we picked up in April.
  • There is a dome on the roof, but no satellite receiver.
  • In the cabinet with the controls for the A/V, there is a plate with an on/off switch - says Winegard, HD Ready, MV IN-MOTION SATELLITE. If I flip the switch, I can hear it start hunting, so that appears functional.
  • Have DirecTV back at home.
Quote:
I have been doing some internet search and wading through the forums. It looks like the whole question of best satellite TV and related hardware is a cumbersome, confusing, and continually changing landscape. And it sound like most of the big commercial RV places like Camping World do not necessarily provide the ideal solution.
We have two TVs, but the primary TV in the living area is the only one I am concerned with getting satellite for. The TV works great with the over-the-air antenna and with cable when that is available.

I assume the first thing I should do is climb up on the roof and determine exactly what Winegard dome I have.

Should I be looking at keeping my existing dome or moving to one of the dishes on the roof?
Should I be doing DirecTV (since that is the home service)?
Do I get the receiver from DirecTV? Ebay?
Do I need professional installation, or is this a simple upgrade?
Anything else I need to know or take into account?

Your assessment is absolutely spot-on.

First I would move one of your home DirecTV receivers(that you know works properly) out to the motorhome, hook it up and reset(>Settings>Satellite>Repeat satellite setup>) it for the correct 'dish type#' you currently have in the motorhome(I don't know which # that would be, but experiment or call Winegard), and see if the dome will give you a signal. Usually domes can be reset to receive either DirecTV or Dish, usually new they come preset for DirecTV, but the previous owner may have been using Dish instead. Before you unhook the receiver in your home, be sure to write down the old 'dish type#' that you are currently using in your home... makes it a whole lot easier to know that when you move the receiver back to your home. None of the domes receive DirecTV in HD. If you are happy without HD, then use the dome and enjoy it. Your HD receiver will still work with your dome, it just won't receive programming in HD. If you want DirecTV in HD, then you will need to install a new Trav'ler dish(SWM), about $1500 plus install.

I would keep DirecTV since you already have that in your home. I don't believe there is any significant difference(cost, programming) between them and Dish.

I would NOT call and discuss any of this with DirecTV... or you will enter DirecTV hell and be very sorry... read the numerous threads on this forum about DirecTV. Do NOT attempt to get any tech support from DirecTV. Winegard, on the other hand, can be very helpful with dome/dish setup and tech support.

If you want an additional DirecTV receiver to carry in the motorhome permanently, then just order another one for one of your TVs at home, at $6/mo. Do NOT mention RV or Motorhome when you order, just do it.

When we travel, we remove one of our DirecTV receivers from the home and install in the motorhome. We must reset the receiver for the type of dish we are currently using(>Settings>Display>Preferences>Show all channels). If you travel a ways from home(100-200 miles) you will no longer be able to receive your home local channels on HD, although we can receive SD locals many hundreds of miles from home.

Keep it simple, and good luck.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would stay with Directv. Over all stronger signal around the country and easier to set up if you use SD programing, it all comes from one satellite. If you want HD you will have to change to a Traveler dish.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #5

I would first find out what the dome is and what service it will support, DISH or Direct. If it's a Direct TV system then you need to determine what Direct boxes you have in the house to see if they are compatible. Newer DTV recievers require SWM and may not work with the dome. A check with Winegard should confirm that once you know what reciever model you have. If it's DTV you wil not get HD with the dome, you need a dish unit. Even with those there is a choice between SMW and not. As far as additional boxes, you can order thru DTV or other sources. Be aware that these boxes are leased and if you buy a box off ebay or private party, DTV may not authorize it. Check with them with the box serial number. So you really need to know not only what you have now in the MH but also at your house. If you have an older DTV system in the house it might be an opportune time to upgrade to SWM there, maybe even a Genie, if you decide to replace the dome on the MH with a newer Traveler or RF Mogul dish. With a dish you will lose the in motion capability.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #6

Thanks so much for all the input.
We do have Genie at home.
It will be a couple of weeks before we are home again, but will be trying the advice with the receivers from the house.

We bought the used RV from a dealer, so we don't know what the previous owners had for satellite TV or if they had it at all.
If the dome does not support HD, why would the plate on the wall say "HD Ready"? I thought there was an additional piece of hardware (Winegard HD Satellite Interface WB-2000) that might be needed, but haven't seen much info on that.
Grey Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
It will do HD for Dishnetwork and several years ago Directv had some channels in HD that could be received with a dome.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, satellite