Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Satellite receiver hookup

Does anyone know where I need to hookup the Sat. receiver in my 07 Dolphin?? I see the sat.-in on the switch and then cat 5 in the upper cabinet. I guess I can't hook up the cable and Sat. at the same time w/o going through a window.......Some help would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally you will need to bing in a separate feed from the sat antenna to the receiver. On our RV I have a separate cable for the receiver and find that it really simplifies the whole hook up.

The problem with trying to use the existing cable connection is you have to do some rewiring and make sure the antenna amplified does not interfer with the sat coaxial. The sat receiver puts a voltage signal back on the coaxial between the antenna nd the receiver.

I am moving this to the technology section to get you better exposure.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:31 AM   #3

Cat 5 in cabinet? Isn't that Ethernet cable?
Our Dolphin has a terminal box on the roof that contains two coax cables for connection to a roof dish. One of the cables runs to the bedroom TV cabinet and the other ran to the front equipment cabinet to connect to a receiver.
My cabinet did not have enough room to put in a receiver, and I guess NRV expected me to furnish the coax jumper from the receiver to the Winegard switch. I don't know how your '07 is configured, but you are likely going to have to pull the switch out to see what is connected.
I ended up installing a coax connector box on the outside of the coach in front of the driver side front tire and ran a lead from it under the dash. I ran another coax from under the dash up inside a windshield side pillar trim to the switch box. I just put my receiver from home on the front of the engine doghouse when we travel. Easy to install and remove and out of the way. I use a tripod mounted dish.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks guys, I do have the square grey box on the roof, but my dish will be set up on a ground-mounted tripod. I'm finding out that the coax coming from the factory installed outlet in the elec. compartment is not reliable for satellite. I guess I need to either install a new coax exterior box or run a new line through a window and directly to the TV. I was wondering where the wires went to that were in the upper space, I guess they go up to the square box on the roof, ready for a roof system. I do have a upper cabinet which is about 7" high and empty......so I'll place the receiver up there. I just have to get that azimuth stuff down now..

Happy Roads
Bill
Old 05-17-2009, 05:42 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixguy View Post
Thanks guys, I do have the square grey box on the roof, but my dish will be set up on a ground-mounted tripod. I'm finding out that the coax coming from the factory installed outlet in the elec. compartment is not reliable for satellite. I guess I need to either install a new coax exterior box or run a new line through a window and directly to the TV. I was wondering where the wires went to that were in the upper space, I guess they go up to the square box on the roof, ready for a roof system. I do have a upper cabinet which is about 7" high and empty......so I'll place the receiver up there. I just have to get that azimuth stuff down now..

Happy Roads
Bill
In what way is the factory installation not reliable? My rig has a dome but in instances where we have trees or other blockages, I use an external dish and run the cable through the drivers door directly to the sat receiver.

And what is the CAT5 for?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #6

I too am curious as to why the coax in the electrical compartment is not reliable. I don't have a Dolphin but I have the coax in the electrical compartment which is normally for campground cable that I use all the time for the satellite and it works great.
The Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beaver View Post
I too am curious as to why the coax in the electrical compartment is not reliable.
Offhand I'd guess that he's been told that RG59 cable doesn't work for satellite - you need RG6 cable. This is a common statement that many people repeat without doing any research. In fact RG59 is almost identical to RG6 so long as the cable run is less than 100 feet.

Once the length approaches, or exceeds, 100 feet the loss in the RG59 may cause degradation of the signal, but it will work fine for most installations. In a typical RV installation you'd be hard-pressed to see ANY difference, assuming the installation was done carefully. If the installation is sloppy, with staples run through the cable, for instance, it won't matter which cable you use.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Ooops

I guess I've made a couple of mistakes....
1. I said there was cat 5(ethernet) cable in the dvd/receiver compartment, that was incorrect, I meant coaxial cable.
2. I said that the factory coaxial cable would not be good for satellite, I was taking what others posted as gospel. I did try plugging the sat. in the factory box in the compartment, but could not get anything but the direct tv logo. I do have some trees in way, but I'm not sure that the poor reception is due to the trees or the amplifier that I think was still connected.
I have alot to learn and I appreciate your help!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The logo comes from the receiver, so that only proves you have the receiver connected to the tv.

In some RVs the external connection is suitable only for cable hook-ups, but in recent years more and more are set up to handle satellite dishes as well. I have no knowledge of how your 07 Dolphin is wired, so cannot help you there. Get yourself into a nice open field or parking lot and give it a try.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #10

My issue with the input for cable TV was that it goes to the cable input on the Winegard selector switch and I do connect to campground cable if available, but still want my satellite so I can get my home local channels. Since I didn't want a roof mounted dish, running a new separate satellite input lead using RG6 was my best and not too difficult option. And it leaves all the switch selections working as labeled.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been using the cable connection coax in the rear compartment for years, no problem and very reliable. I even used a stacker / dstacker without problem. Recently I upgraded my system and need two feed without using the stacker so I employed the extra coax for the aux tv outside. I ran RG6 coax from the outside tv connection, back to the rear compartment so there would be 2 connections at rear where I plug in the dish. Up front at the Winegard I simply removed the coaxs' at the "AUX TV" and the "Cable in" and plugged them both in to the receiver. The Coax out from the receiver is plugged in to the "Cable in" on the Winegard. Now if you'd like to retain the ability to use park cable, add a "A/B" switch in the coax run that was the "Cable In" run from the back. You have to be a little inventive to overcome a few of the shortcomings of the wiring when you want to use a tripod dish .
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:25 AM   #12

Here's another idea. My '05 Dolphin has a cable on the Winegard box for a third tv that was to be located in the basement right behind the steps. I found that cable and installed a connector. Then in the over head compartment I connected that cable and the cable from the KingDome to an A/B switch. When I am parked long term with no cable available, I set up my external 5lnb dish and hook it to the external cable. Set the switch to the right position and you have full HD tv. When parked short term, just put the switch to the other position and use the KingDome. Yes, I know it is a sacrifice to have to watch standard definition but times are tough!!!!
Happy motoring
Kent
KentM is offline   Reply With Quote