Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2017, 07:49 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
The dish you select allows one or two receivers. The receivers, whether you select the 211 or the Wally only support one channel at a time. I.e. If you want the ability to watch different channels you need two receivers and a dish that supports two receivers. We run the Winegard traveler with two 211z's. Both the 211z's and the Wally support connected hard drives if you want to set up as DVR's

RockyMtnRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #16

remember to adjust the 'lingo' when questioning 'Satellite' options:

- the ANTENNA is the portable unit, or manual unit, that sits outside and 'sees' the satellites

- the RECEIVER is the 'box' in your home or motorhome that 'processes' the signal and provides it to your TV.

- 'DISH' is the name of the brand of satellite provider

the difference between a 'Playmaker' and the 'Tailgater' is only one thing - the Tailgater has TWO coax outputs, therefore allowing a 'secondary' Receiver to watch it's own channels.... now, though, it comes with a 'downside'... the secondary receiver can only pick up channels from the SAME satellite that the main receiver was tuned to, at the time the secondary receiver was PROGRAMMED.... this can be a little confusing, but once you've done it a few times, you start to get the picture.

- Satellite 129 is the majority of HD channels, and many LOCAL HD channels, but is also the lowest Satellite, which can be problematic when trees and buildings might interfere, and depending on where you are in the country... farther south is best.

- Satellite 119 is the middle satellite, and is fewer channels, but some that don't show on either of the other two sats...

- Satellite 110 is farther 'Left', and higher, and usually the easiest to 'see'. It also has a majority of channels, though most in SD, with only a few special channels in HD. If you can only see Sat 110, you'll be fine, just not mostly in HD : /

We have both a Tailgater AND a standard manual DishHD tripod mounted antenna.
The Tailgater is great when traveling, though a little limiting.
The DishHD is great when parked for a while... it will handle up the 3 receivers, all watching different channels on different satellites, at the same time.

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:17 AM   #17

My Tailgater only has one coax output. My Pathway X2 has 2 outputs. I use an Amplified USB splitter and cable to run 2nd tv,$20 on Amazon. Also I bring a 211 receiver from home at no extra charge. No interested in recording.
danny285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Mister T is correct. However the Winegard Traveler not mentioned in his list supports up to three receivers that can independently look at any of the three satellites. It is a permanent roof mount and not portable. Works exactly like our unit at our S&B home
Old 09-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #19

We don't find setting up the tripod dish much of an effort, a few minutes. So far this year out of 41 stops we have set the tripod up 32 times. We will set the tripod for just an overnight stop if it is needed to get the satellite shot.

Havibg a full dish is so much better than a one-at-a-time dome.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I get the two receivers but do you have to run both cables from the dish to the MH? I have one inlet for a cable that goes to a digital distribution center that I can direct to both tv's
Old 09-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The OLD tailgater supported only 1 receiver. The CURRENT Tailgater supports 2 receivers. BUT (if equipped) both receivers will be viewing the satellite selected by receiver #1. And the Tailgater is "western arc" SATs only...but that covers 80-90% of the US.

OLD
Click image for larger version

Name:	wynit-13q4-rd-211z-tailgater-main-lg.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	176224

NEW

Name:   tailgater.png
Views: 293
Size:  105.3 KB

The 211 Series of DISH Network receivers are called "Solo" because they view one SAT at a time. They started big and have gotten smaller - BUT have lost output formats (see photo below).
The "Wally" is the current model made and was named the 211W when it was first came out.
Within the receiver, DVR and OTA tuner function moved to optional/external bits with the 211Z. You add any self-powered hard drive and a USB tuner from DISH.

Name:	001_dish_211_211k_211z_wally_anatomy.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	176226

All these models of antennae and receivers are still sold, so pick what you want.

Hope that helps

Photo credits to DISH and Tom Hughes (TechWriter)

P.S. Set up for any manual antenna (like a tripod home style) CANNOT be compared to set-up with an automatic (dome or Trav'ler). An auto-aim antenna - really - is the only way to go for a novice. The Pathway, Tailgater and similar portables are the most affordable and can be placed where you want to clear trees and buildings where ever you camp.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have Traveler antenna with two Wally receivers. One Wally with DVR option enabled. Works very well.

Had 211k and 211z previously. The Wally is much better overall - RF remote is​ a biggie.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I get the two receivers but do you have to run both cables from the dish to the MH? I have one inlet for a cable that goes to a digital distribution center that I can direct to both tv's

If you want the ability to watch two different channels at the same time the answer is yes you need two lines from the dish. If not you can split a single cable at your distribution area. I would not recommend running the dish signal through a multi button distribution box. Many of those boxes don't play nice with satellite tv signals.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Yes, if you use 2 receivers, you will need 2 dedicated input coax...they carry the raw SAT signal from the antenna to the receiver.

These runs must be free of any distribution blocks or signal amplifiers.

If you intend to use the RV's campground cable input for your raw SAT input, you MUST add a "Diplexer" to BOTH ends of the coax (termination, before the distribution center) to combine, then separate the SAT signal...to us, running dedicated coax is cheaper and better

Name:	510650.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	176232
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks everyone for all your input. I'm leaning toward the King Tailgater. So many choices but price point and reviews and some features are leaning me that way. I may not get them both up and running with all the right equipment for this trip but my other half is almost at the point of not wanting go anywhere where we can't get a tv signal. I don't want Dish at home but may need to change to it to keep overall costs down, because we have u verse now.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thanks everyone for all your input. I'm leaning toward the King Tailgater. So many choices...
Yep...that's what we did. Got the least expensive Dish deal we could find (Tailgater and receiver w/ an included coax). It is truly plug-and-play.

Just put the Tailgater out in the clear, connect the single wire (carries power too) between the Tailgater and receiver...plug in the TV, and turn everything on. You're watching TV in about 10min, max

When you call Dish to sign-up/activate, ask for the Pay-As-You-Go account (don't set-up auto-pay) so you can suspend anytime you want by just withholding the next month's payment.

You can add stuff later (DVR hard drive, OTA tuner).

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-11-2017, 07:42 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Yep...that's what we did. Got the least expensive Dish deal we could find (Tailgater and receiver w/ an included coax). It is truly plug-and-play.

Just put the Tailgater out in the clear, connect the single wire (carries power too) between the Tailgater and receiver...plug in the TV, and turn everything on. You're watching TV in about 10min, max

When you call Dish to sign-up/activate, as for the Pay-As-You-Go account (don't set-up auto-pay) so you can suspend anytime you want by just withholding the next month's payment).

You can add stuff later (DVR hard drive, OTA tuner).

Best luck

What do you think of the King set up with the Wally?
Old 09-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #28

The Winegard X2 cannot be roof mounted if that matters.

The 211k has heat issues and the 211z does not have the RF remote like the Wally.

We have the X1 and run one of its outputs through the our BOMB distribution box for the two TVs and have no problems. I am not currently using the second output because we only use one Wally. We can view different shows on the two TVs if one of them uses OTA (or DVD or computer) input. Works well for us.

I do, however, like the removable roof mount for the new Tailgater so you also have the option for putting it on the ground or tripod.

Tags
satellite