Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
What do you think of the King set up with the Wally?
Scarab0088 lives in San Diego and FatChance lives in Colorado so it's no wonder they give thumbs up to the Tailgater which only supports DISH's Western Arc sats (110, 118, 129).

Because they live where they are, Scarab0088 and FatChance only need to access DISH's Western Arc sats.

tmw188, because you live in the Missouri, there's more of a chance you'll need access to DISH's Eastern Arc sats (61.5, 72.7, 77) which are only available on the Pathway X2, not the Tailgater. For example, you currently get your local stations out of St Louis (which supports both Eastern & Western Arc sats). If you camp around Missouri and need the local stations from Springfield or Columbia, then you'll need to be able to receive the Eastern Arc sats.
__________________

__________________
2001 Mountain Aire DP 4095
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
RVSeniorMoments.com
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 11:24 PM   #30
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
What do you think of the King set up with the Wally?
The Wally has several advantages over it's predecessors...like mentioned above:
Less heat, compact size, and RF remote w/ remote finder.

The downside is the OTA tuner is an external device and an additional purchase and outputs are ONLY Component Audio/Video and HDMI...so not great for older RV's that do not have those in the original wiring. But these are needed for the free/included High Def that makes Dish so great.

The King Tailgater is great. Our is not on a fixed mount because we rarely park the RV with a clear shot to the southern sky (we prefer shade on the RV), so the Tailgater sits out in the clear. We've had it as much as 150' away from the receiver (using high quality coax). But it can sit on the RV's roof if we wanted it to.

Best luck
__________________

__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
tmw188's Avatar


 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Charles MO
Posts: 2,324
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Satellite Receiver Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Scarab0088 lives in San Diego and FatChance lives in Colorado so it's no wonder they give thumbs up to the Tailgater which only supports DISH's Western Arc sats (110, 118, 129).



Because they live where they are, Scarab0088 and FatChance only need to access DISH's Western Arc sats.



tmw188, because you live in the Missouri, there's more of a chance you'll need access to DISH's Eastern Arc sats (61.5, 72.7, 77) which are only available on the Pathway X2, not the Tailgater. For example, you currently get your local stations out of St Louis (which supports both Eastern & Western Arc sats). If you camp around Missouri and need the local stations from Springfield or Columbia, then you'll need to be able to receive the Eastern Arc sats.


So are you saying that the King Tailgater won't receive satellites in Mo or Central Zones? TechWriter we are coming up in your area over the weekend and was wanting to use this on the Peninsula, so are you saying that it won't work in that area? I need to cancel my order.
__________________
W-24, Toyo tires, Blue OX Aventa LX, Patriot brake assist, 09' Saturn Vue
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #32
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
So are you saying that the King Tailgater won't receive satellites in Mo or Central Zones? TechWriter we are coming up in your area over the weekend and was wanting to use this on the Peninsula, so are you saying that it won't work in that area? I need to cancel my order.
Errr...Missouri's mean latitude is about 93degrees. That is MUCH closer to the western arc (110, 119, & 129) than the eastern (61.5, 72.2, & 77). The tailgater WILL work in those parts of the US - that is why Dish sells that King unit as their primary portable antenna.
Notice how little of the US that eastern arc 61.5 covers (on the 129 map)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish 61.5 and 129 coverage.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	176304

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish 110 and 119 coverage.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	176305

Also, there is a King that does both east and west arc too, the Pathway is not your only choice...but again, NOT needed.

IF there is an intention to travel to the far north-east, then adding eastern arc would benefit...but at those very low "elevations" above the horizon, you would be better off getting a tripod mounted 1000 series for that area.

Best luck
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
mmartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Long Beach, Calif.
Posts: 188
Winegard has a good video dist. box. No problems with mine
__________________
Travel Supreme 03 40DS03
Cummins 400 HP ISL 8.9
2010 Jeep Wrangler JK
mmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #34
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
...
tmw188, because you live in the Missouri, there's more of a chance you'll need access to DISH's Eastern Arc sats (61.5, 72.7, 77) which are only available on the Pathway X2, not the Tailgater. For example, you currently get your local stations out of St Louis (which supports both Eastern & Western Arc sats). If you camp around Missouri and need the local stations from Springfield or Columbia, then you'll need to be able to receive the Eastern Arc sats.
Yes, an example of western arc fully covering MO is VERY easily demonstrated with the locals.

*Saint Louis (90.1West - far eastern side of the state) has locals on the Western Arc...see the "Spot Beam" map:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIEL2_SB30.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	176308

I'm just saying - paying more for the eastern arc capable equipment is just not required...but is your choice.

Safe travels

Photo credit to:
https://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist...dnall&sub=true
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
tmw188's Avatar


 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Charles MO
Posts: 2,324
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
So then it appears then that the King Tailgater with a Wally is just fine.
__________________
W-24, Toyo tires, Blue OX Aventa LX, Patriot brake assist, 09' Saturn Vue
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #36
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
So then it appears then that the King Tailgater with a Wally is just fine.
We have personally used our Tailgater as far east as Louisiana (90degrees west latitude)...no problems. And there are many, many users much farther east of our travels - no reports of issues until you get into the far north-eastern states or the weak area in the central northern tier states shown on the coverage maps.

And, just to reaffirm...having eastern arc capable equipment can be a useful option - if you want to spend the extra for it.
But as an example, there is no eastern arc only dome, because there is less need for eastern arc in the US market.
If your travels include areas where western arc is not viable, the best option will probably be a full-size 1000 series (home style) antenna. And it should be noted that the LNB "head" on these antenna are NOT the same east and west due to satellite geo-location.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BRAND-NEW-Dish-Network-HD-10002-Western-Arc.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	176336

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0146[1].jpg
Views:	122
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	176337

Of course, getting the rooftop mount Winegard Trav'ler removes any need for different equipment (automatic western arc and manual eastern arc)...it does it all, but comes with a "does it all" price - unless it is blocked by trees where you park your RV That's where a portable auto-aim dome works best

Best luck
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
So are you saying that the King Tailgater won't receive satellites in Mo or Central Zones? TechWriter we are coming up in your area over the weekend and was wanting to use this on the Peninsula, so are you saying that it won't work in that area? I need to cancel my order.
If you mean the Door County Peninsula in WI, then you'll only be able to receive SD (Standard Definition) locals out of Green Bay on a Tailgater because Green Bay stations use an Eastern Arc sat for HD.

To determine what your local stations will be while you're camping, do this:

(1) Determine the ZIP code of where you'll be camping. For example, in Door County, Sturgeon Bay, WI ZIP code is 54235.

(2) Use DISH's Local Channel Lookup to determine where your locals will come from. In the case of 54235, it's Green Bay, WI.

(3) Finally, determine what sats the locals city uses by going to The List. In this example, look up Green Bay, WI and you'll see it uses sat 61.5, an Eastern Arc sat, for HD locals:

NOTE: You would still be able to get SD locals from Green Bay on sat 110, a Western Arc sat.

__________________
2001 Mountain Aire DP 4095
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
RVSeniorMoments.com
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
tmw188's Avatar


 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Charles MO
Posts: 2,324
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
If you mean the Door County Peninsula in WI, then you'll only be able to receive SD (Standard Definition) locals out of Green Bay on a Tailgater because Green Bay stations use an Eastern Arc sat for HD.



To determine what your local stations will be while you're camping, do this:



(1) Determine the ZIP code of where you'll be camping. For example, in Door County, Sturgeon Bay, WI ZIP code is 54235.



(2) Use DISH's Local Channel Lookup to determine where your locals will come from. In the case of 54235, it's Green Bay, WI.



(3) Finally, determine what sats the locals city uses by going to The List. In this example, look up Green Bay, WI and you'll see it uses sat 61.5, an Eastern Arc sat, for HD locals:



NOTE: You would still be able to get SD locals from Green Bay on sat 110, a Western Arc sat.




Well I cancelled my order because you said I needed a eastern arc antenna and I didn't know so I cancelled before it was filled.
__________________
W-24, Toyo tires, Blue OX Aventa LX, Patriot brake assist, 09' Saturn Vue
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
tmw188's Avatar


 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Charles MO
Posts: 2,324
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
We have personally used our Tailgater as far east as Louisiana (90degrees west latitude)...no problems. And there are many, many users much farther east of our travels - no reports of issues until you get into the far north-eastern states or the weak area in the central northern tier states shown on the coverage maps.

And, just to reaffirm...having eastern arc capable equipment can be a useful option - if you want to spend the extra for it.
But as an example, there is no eastern arc only dome, because there is less need for eastern arc in the US market.
If your travels include areas where western arc is not viable, the best option will probably be a full-size 1000 series (home style) antenna. And it should be noted that the LNB "head" on these antenna are NOT the same east and west due to satellite geo-location.

Attachment 176336

Attachment 176337

Of course, getting the rooftop mount Winegard Trav'ler removes any need for different equipment...it does it all, but comes with a "does it all" price - unless it is blocked by trees where you park your RV That's where a portable auto-aim dome works best

Best luck

We would need coverage for Missouri, Indiana, Michigan, Florida, and maybe Carolina's
__________________
W-24, Toyo tires, Blue OX Aventa LX, Patriot brake assist, 09' Saturn Vue
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Well I cancelled my order because you said I needed a eastern arc antenna and I didn't know so I cancelled before it was filled.
If you get a Pathway X2 I think you'll be happier and get better results than a Tailgater for several reasons . . .

(1) As I mentioned, a Pathway X2 can get both DISH's Western and Eastern Arc sats.

(2) An X2 has a larger dish than a Tailgater. This improves the X2's ability to pick up sats.

(3) Many DISH locals are on both Western and Eastern Arc sats. For example, on our current 49-campground trip through AZ, NM, TX, LA, AL, TN, KY, IL, WI, MN, ND, MT, ID, and UT, 16 (out of 49) campgrounds had locals on both the Western and Eastern arcs.

(4) The further East you travel, Western Arc sats elevation decreases while Eastern Arc sat elevation increases. So what? Unless you never park near trees, it's easier for a sat dish to acquire sats that are higher elevation in the sky.

(5) Finally, as someone who has done a lot of camping in wooded areas, it's great to have the ability to have two sets of sats to choose from. In the following photo I has able to aim down a telephone pole access route:



Here's more info on DISH's Western and Eastern Arcs.
__________________
2001 Mountain Aire DP 4095
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
RVSeniorMoments.com
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:49 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Cover Dog's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chardon, Ohio
Posts: 285
We are currently using our King Tailgater and Wally receiver at Hadley's point RV park in Bar Harbor Maine. We have not had any problems with satellite reception of the western arc satellites.

I did carry it up and set it on the roof.
__________________
Bill, Maura & Rosie the rescued "Boston Terrier"
2016 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q-26K Chassis. TST 507 x10
2014 CR-V AWD w/Blue Ox & NSA Ready Brute Elite
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
We are currently using our King Tailgater and Wally receiver at Hadley's point RV park in Bar Harbor Maine. We have not had any problems with satellite reception of the western arc satellites.

I did carry it up and set it on the roof.
Locals from Bangor, Maine?
__________________

__________________
2001 Mountain Aire DP 4095
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
RVSeniorMoments.com
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
satellite



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to Satellite. Dish receiver options? Startech Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 18 07-23-2017 09:26 PM
Satellite Receiver Options?? JohnH12 Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 4 04-21-2017 11:45 AM
Options, Options and More Options!! ianschneider Newmar Owner's Forum 7 10-17-2016 06:07 AM
Best satellite receiver or options drwwicks Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 16 04-27-2016 12:24 PM
WCC UFO Chassis Provides Rear Gas or Diesel Options and Unlimited Floorplan Options DriVer RV Industry Press 45 09-26-2006 05:20 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.