Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #1

Satellite service

What is the best satellite service for rv use in terms of pricing, service and flexibility?
lorozco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The answer depends on if you already have satellite service at home. If you do then just get the correct dish for your system and take your home receiver with you when you go camping. No additional cost except for the dish for the RV.

If you don't currently have satellite service and without considering programing I think Dish network has a, no contract, month to month service for RV'ers.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

X2 what Marc said above.

Assuming you're just looking to get standard definition reception while taking occasional trips in the RV, I think the RV offering from Dish is hard to beat. I think even if high def is important to you it would probably be the best package so long as you don't currently have satellite service at home.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #4

My home receiver doesn't work on the road, not sure why
Old 08-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorozco View Post
I can't help with Dish, but if it's a direct TV receiver you will need to do the setup process when taking it to the RV unless you have the exact same dish for the RV as you have at home. The thing you will need to change, in the setup process, is the dish type since it's probably different than what you have at home.

If your on Directv and your RV dish is the same as home then I'm not sure what the solution would be. I can tell you that someone here can help you. iRV2 is blessed with many folks that can help with just about anything to do with an RV.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorozco
If you have satellite service at home, the receiver will work on the road. What we need here is a little more info. What service do you have? What antenna are you using? Does your MH have a place to hook the sat cable?
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #7

I have a weingard dish on the rv roof. My home receiver works outside my house while installed in the motor home but not on the road.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #8

Service is direct tv
Old 08-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorozco
Service is direct tv
I'm not real familiar with Direct but I'm going to guess that this has something to do with pointing your dish to reflect a different location than home. With Dish you enter your new location via zip code and then set your dish accordingly. So again more info would be helpful. Is your antenna an automatic dome or a manual dish you need to point?
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #10

I have tried to enter different zip codes and its auto not manual
Old 08-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorozco View Post
I have tried to enter different zip codes and its auto not manual
On my Directv HR21 receiver when entering the zip code for the location I am in it only gives me Azimuth and Elevation for pointing the dish. When using my Wineguard portable manual dish I have to change the dish type, in setup, to an 18" round dish.