Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #1

Satellite systems to use as a full timer

OK boys and girls - I have question about satellite systems to use. Ofcourse I'm simple minded so don't make it too complicated - please!!

Tripod?, Direct TV? Dish? permently mounted or portable??? HD is a must but It is confusing I tell ya..

My wife and I have a coachmen 5th wheel and will retire next May to travel about and I want to know what satellite set up to use. What is the simplist?
I know Dish has pay as you go but I won't have a home anymore with a home base. Just need and want your opinion from all the experts out there.

You all have helped me in the past so I'm countin on ya.

Thanks in advance for your help
U038340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #2

So we have 2 homes, and travel 4 months a year with our RV... we have ONE direct TV receiver and have a dish on each home, and one I set up with the RV... as we move the receiver I call Direct TV and ask for the local channels.. and they send the receiver a code and we can watch local TV...

I use a manual dish on the RV... so that it can see 2 or 3 satellites at once... My cousin with direct TV has a powered cube that only seeks one satellite... so he can only watch a limited number of channels...

I turn on the TV and receiver... put in the zip code where I'm at... set up the disc and set the compass setting from what I've read on the receiver... set the tilt of the dish... and angle in the sky and than manually tune it in.... I'm mechanically inclined and can usually do this in less than 30 min, start to finish... but alas... I've watched many people spend lots and lots of time as they don't understand the process...

I don't have a fancy meter ($200) or a powered dish... if we're in one spot for more than 2 nights I set it up.. if we're on the road from day to day.... my receiver will record and we usually have 300 hours of stuff stored on the receiver... so we turn it on, turn on the TV and watch a movie or series we have recorded on the receiver...

We only have 1 TV in each home and 1 in the RV.. so the one receiver we move from location to location works.. we have 3 power cords, 3 remotes and just move the receiver..

If we traveled daily and didn't stay places for a week or two at a time... I'd jump for the $2500 dish that self aimed and followed several satellites at one time... but for the money and our life style its not worth it...

That's how I do it... oh yea... I bought a survey tripod at home depot... I think $80 to mount the dish on... heavy duty, easy to set up, I put a 5 gal bucket in the center and fill with water if I need ballast for winds...
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:07 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
WE have a MH with the mounted antenna, but for our 5er which gets used for a 4 month trip each year we got this setup.
We had a receiver already but that would be the only thing you need if you go with DISH. If you choose Direct TV I am certain there are similar things.
Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:23 PM   #4

i use dish with a tailgator antenna
Old 07-11-2016, 12:08 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Dish Tailgater with 211Z HD receiver. Install a separate in line hard drive (dish sells them) for DVR abilities and tell Dish you are full time. Set up auto bill pay from checking/debit account. Very simple to use. Set the box out pointing south, go inside and follow on screen directions. Watching tv in ten minutes. HD, DVR, Pay per view, no tree blockage issues. ALWAYS ask for an RV TECH when calling Dish. The rest are idiots when it comes to RVs.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:35 AM   #6

we went full-time, with no more home, two years ago, and with no experience with satellite prior to that - here's what I've found:

1)-called DISH and they sent out tech to install a tripod mount DISH HD open-face antenna dish in the side yard, with three VIP211k receivers in the coach(outside, living rm, bedroom)... maybe a $50 service charge, but that's it - no cost for the equipment.
Standard choice of channel packages, HD on most channels, each TV can tune into whichever satellite or channel they wish
:setup when traveling - learn to 'find' the satellites and mount your open-face antenna dish on the tripod, takes a little education and patience, but is certainly doable, especially when you are parked for more than several days in the same place. I also added an additional 250' of coax to allow me many options of where the dish would need to be placed to see the satellites.

2)-later, after much travel, decided to add a MOBILE satellite dish for those quick overnight hookups, Walmart parking lot drycamping, etc. Purchased a KING TAILGATER2, which is light, has a handle, and can be placed anywhere, even on the roof. Easy hookup with this unit as it automatically acquires the satellites. The negative, compared to the open-faced antenna, is that it only provides for two receivers, one is the MAIN receiver that can watch any satellite and channel, but the secondary receiver can only watch a channel from one satellite. After some time of usage, we've found that this unit works REALLY well for the overnighters, especially while traveling.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:49 AM   #7

thanks for the info...I can always count on your knowledge and experience for help
U038340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
For use we use the Winngard Traveller II dish antenna and this will support use of the Dish Hopper and wireless Joey system. I also have a Tailgater and VIP 211 receiver as a back up in case the Traveler antenna is blocked by trees. If I need to use the 211 receiver I just call dish to activate it for the time I need it then deactivate it after.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:32 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Full time I have used DirecTV for over 17 years. The latest is the Trav'ler SWM roof mounted dish. It gets all 3 the 99/101/103 satellites which the 99/103 are the HD ones.

I recommend you get the HR54 Genie receiver that can record 5 programs at the same time. You will hardly ever watch live after getting use to skipping all the commercials. The newer Genie will also be ready for 4K programs if you get into that later. Right now with only one 4K channel and the required higher $$$ package to get it is out way of reach for me. One time DTV had 3 3D programs and now 0.

With whatever package you pick out. Also a good deal is the $15 DNS add on of the major networks. That way the recorder is set for any of those without calling in and trying to get locals switched to different areas and on different channels.

My Genie on RF feeds 3 TV's through a HDMI switch that would otherwise require 2 extra $7 month units from DTV.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by U038340 View Post
Tripod?, Direct TV? Dish? permently mounted or portable??? HD is a must
A DISH or DirecTV Winegard Travler with either a Hopper or a Genie setup.

If you want it all, a modified Winegard Travler with a 16-tuner Hopper 3.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #11

If you're an NFL fan, Directv is what you want.
Squantobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #12

Scored off of Craigslist, dish network HD dish and tripod, came with analog meter tie downs and a nice carrying bag for $85

j88hynes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, full time, full timer, satellite