Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #1

Satellite TV

I will be taking possession of my 2015 Sightseer soon. The unit has three televisions...Living room, Bedroom, and Outside. I'm looking for recommendations on satellite antenna systems. Here are our desires:

> Ability to watch different channels on each TV
> DirecTV with DVR capability on each TV
> Automatic satellite locator capability

Any suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2014, 10:55 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The ability to watch different channels will depend on the receivers you select, not the antenna. For now we just take a receiver out of the stick house but we're due for a free upgrade next month so will upgrade to a wireless setup that will allow up to three TV's and be able to select different channels on each.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:44 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Roof mounted Winegard Trav'ler SWM Dish is what you need to work with any DirecTV receiver.
You want the new Genie HR44 receiver that will record up to 5 programs at a time and can be seen on any other TV's you have with the correct wireless receiver.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #4

I just installed the direct tv genie in my rig and it does all the things you want. You need the Winegard Traveler antennae or some other SWM antennae.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #5

If you have a DTV Genie at your house I don't think DTV allows a second Genie DVR unit on the same account. you might want to check. Also, RF Mogul makes a SWM capable sat dish just to have some options.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #6

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. I really appreciate your experience.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:09 AM   #7

pcurt...I'm struggling to understand how this sat tv stuff works on an RV. I too have a genie receiver at home. If I go on the road in my new RV (when I take possession in Dec) am I understanding these posts correctly...I can buy a Directv (HD) dish off Craigslist, build a simple stand for it, unplug my Genie receiver from home and hook up both in my RV (assuming I aim the dish properly) and get the same type of programming I've been getting at home???? If that is true, then I just continue to pay my Directv bill as usual and nothing changes on that end?...this all seems to easy and way too good to be true.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:38 AM   #8

If you have never set up a satellite tripod before be prepared for a lot of aggravation in lining it up. I am on my 2nd setup and it works great. The first set up usually ended up in an argument with the DW. After the initial few long set up times I now can get it set up in about 15 minutes. Below is the link. Yes it will be more expensive that what you want to do, but in the end you will be glad you had it.

TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
pcurt...I'm struggling to understand how this sat tv stuff works on an RV. I too have a genie receiver at home. If I go on the road in my new RV (when I take possession in Dec) am I understanding these posts correctly...I can buy a Directv (HD) dish off Craigslist, build a simple stand for it, unplug my Genie receiver from home and hook up both in my RV (assuming I aim the dish properly) and get the same type of programming I've been getting at home???? If that is true, then I just continue to pay my Directv bill as usual and nothing changes on that end?...this all seems to easy and way too good to be true.
Basically yes. There are three parts to the genie system, two of which need to be connected to the sat in coax . You have the genie, the client(s), and the video bridge. The video bridge is basically a wireless transmitter for the clients and needs to be about 6 feet away from the genie.
Once everything is connected and you have a dish setup and properly aligned you get the same channels you would get at home. Until you go beyond approx 150 miles from home. Then you loose local chanels. But you still get everything else.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #10

satellite tv

Just bought a slimline direct tv dish off ebay, $55.00 delivered. Built a pvc stand for the dish, put the dish/stand on the ground & in 5 minutes we are up & viewing HD tv. I pull 2 receivers from the bricks &sticks hse @ no added cost!

Enjoy
lburson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #11

So will I have to contact D-TV and let them know what I'm doing? Do they have to do anything on their end. Lastly, is it REALLY that difficult to aim the dish?
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
So will I have to contact D-TV and let them know what I'm doing? Do they have to do anything on their end. Lastly, is it REALLY that difficult to aim the dish?
No!
it can be without the proper tools.
smart phone app "dishpointer" helps you find a clear view.
A pretty simple device "Align-A-Site" relly helps you aim the dish without having to spend time leveling the tripod first.
Best is an electronic meter that powers the LNB and gives an audible and/or visual indication of signal strength. Of course these meters are not cheap, but can be had on places like Ebay. And they do make a difference. You always have the option of connectingnto a receiver, going into setup and while someone is inside watching the meter on the TV and yelling to the person outside moving the dish. This system works, but the response time is long, so adjustments must be made very slowly.
Personally I use a combination of the first three and get good results pretty quickly.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #13

Thanks Don
Old 10-24-2014, 06:08 AM   #14

One of the key things to do is get the shaft plumb. Then get the correct info for the settings of the elevation, azimuth and tilt. I got the wrong info once and it messed me up big time.

I use my compass first to look for a clear sight to the satellites. I get my info from Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com. I even use this website to check what sites I will be able to get the satellite signal on. Make sure to set it for the correct LNB setting. One last suggestion is to make sure your setup will stay up in windy conditions.

Once I get it set up I then turn on the receiver and check the signal strengths. Some times I don't have to adjust and some times I do. I bought a pair of walkie/talkies for the final adjustment which is usually only moving the dish very little (1/8"). The DW tells me if the signal strength goes up or down as I move the dish. Then tighten everything and weigh it down.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, satellite tv