RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #1

Satellite TV, and/or Streaming... Am I Dreaming?

Hi guys,

I'll admit to be somewhere between a technological genius and a technological moron and leaning more towards the moron.

My coach has an in motion satellite dish and since I have DirecTV here at the house I called them about my coach. I was told they have a mobile program for $7.00 per month.

I also called AT&T on another issue and found out they offer streaming for $10.00 per month and if I had Apple TV (that square box thingy) I can watch it on my TV in the coach just like satellite. I also have a DirecTV streaming app on my iPhone although I've not used it yet.

My question is, can you have streaming from AT&T on your iPhone and get the same things, same programs, you'd have with DirecTV? An with streaming can you start and stop and record programs like you can with DirecTV?

In other words, can streaming replace satellite and what are the pros and cons?

Harry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #2

Harry double check the satellite antenna first. I just found out today that DirecTV HD isn't compatible with most wiengard antennas. Wiengard states so on their website. They say to get DTV DVR you need a standard home satellite antenna.

New problem some DTV home antennas are only compatible with earlier model receivers.

Good news DTV will allow you to deactivate your home units while you have your RV unit activated.

Hope all this helps

Tony

redleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #3

Satellite TV, and/or Streaming... Am I Dreaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi guys,

I'll admit to be somewhere between a technological genius and a technological moron and leaning more towards the moron.

My coach has an in motion satellite dish and since I have DirecTV here at the house I called them about my coach. I was told they have a mobile program for $7.00 per month.

I also called AT&T on another issue and found out they offer streaming for $10.00 per month and if I had Apple TV (that square box thingy) I can watch it on my TV in the coach just like satellite. I also have a DirecTV streaming app on my iPhone although I've not used it yet.

My question is, can you have streaming from AT&T on your iPhone and get the same things, same programs, you'd have with DirecTV? An with streaming can you start and stop and record programs like you can with DirecTV?

In other words, can streaming replace satellite and what are the pros and cons?

Harry

Yes, it can we do it a lot with AT&T, however there will be large sections of the country where your provider....ours being Dish that will not allow steaming from your phone and can easily block as well as block some on demand streaming of network TV. We are experiencing that now in Lancaster, Pa as well as Canton, Ohio. Netflix however, nation wide will let you watch anything and since we still have unlimited service on our iPhones it all good. MIFI works as well from Verizon but it's not unlimited and anything through the phone or Apple TV will cost us. We would NOT want to give up our Satellite!!

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
Harry double check the satellite antenna first. I just found out today that DirecTV HD isn't compatible with most wiengard antennas. Wiengard states so on their website. They say to get DTV DVR you need a standard home satellite antenna.

New problem some DTV home antennas are only compatible with earlier model receivers.

Good news DTV will allow you to deactivate your home units while you have your RV unit activated.

Hope all this helps

Tony

Dish also says the same thing.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:32 PM   #5

To do the streaming option you need a good strong connection on your phone i can watch Netflix with 4 bars 3 gives a lot of buffering. I would never give up my in motion dome HD is not that important to me. And remember streaming takes a lot of data my unlimited plan slows down to 3G after 10 gigs of using the phone as a hot spot
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:29 AM   #6

I have a mobley from at&t and use that to stream an Amazon firestick with Kodi to my TV. Works pretty good.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:44 AM   #7

We have had Directv for 17 years and never heard of a ""mobile" program. When we are ready to roll all we do is call, turn off the home system and start up the RV system. Now we have a reciever in both home and RV. We have a Winegaard Traveller on the roof or the RV and get great reception in HD The only additional cost is we want the national feeds so we need to pay for those.

Streaming is challenging as it consumes a lot of band width and you are dependent on having service which is limited in many. many places...................

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:33 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Mobile video streaming will be dependant on a strong signal with adequate bandwidth otherwise you'll get buffering. Also you'll need to get into the mice type of the service provider's contract regarding data usage and WIFI. Falling back and relying on campground WIFI to stream may leave you disappointed with the performance.

Satellite service will dependant on a clear view towards the south eastern sky. With a Direct TV service a general rule is the most popular dome antennas you can not access the Direct HD channels. The open face antennas that look somewhat like what you have on the homestead can do HD. Also you could just unplug the receiver you have at home and move it to the coach when heading out on an adventure rather the buying a dedicated receiver and the additional monthly fee.

Streaming has the advantage over of a larger library of movies and such to choose from. At home we only have the free over the air channels and streaming. 99% of our watching is streaming. I do have Dish service in the coach but only turn it on when we are on the road. We don't stream video when on the road. If your RV budget can afford it having both never hurts.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:58 AM   #9

Sorry Sue, You're right it's not mobile service it's called "Seasonal Home Account" and I'll have a dedicated receiver for the coach. The fewer things I have to take back and fourth the better.

I'm finding out, like so many things, there are many trade offs and few absolutes. It sounds like a combination of both may work best.

Harry
Old 07-02-2017, 09:03 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbelcher View Post
I have a mobley from at&t and use that to stream an Amazon firestick with Kodi to my TV. Works pretty good.
We do exact same thing except use an Android box in lieu of Firestick. That Mobley has been the bomb, so handy and works better than I expected, best $20/month I ever spent.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #11

I'll have to check on that Mobley, I have no idea what that is?
Old 07-02-2017, 09:57 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I'll have to check on that Mobley, I have no idea what that is?
Here the link to Technology section of this forum about the Mobley, enjoy the read
Basically $20/month unlimited data from AT&T with decent speeds that work for streaming. Pair it with a KODI device you get unlimited whatever you want to watch on your TV, streamed/watched Wonder Woman last night for example.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #13

It sounds like it's getting more and more difficult to rationalize the expense of a dish on the roof. Especially if your not going to out of the way places!

Harry
Old 07-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #14

A bit off topic but Neflix does allow downloads. I only download a massive amount of content before a trip in case it's raining.

Tags
satellite, satellite tv