Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #1

Satellite TV for going full time.

Hello all, we will be going full time in our Windjammer 3025W Travel Trailer at the end of August 2014. I'm tired of looking for CG's that have cable, and then only to find out they have 10 or so channels.

I guess the next step is satellite TV. We do enjoy TV, and don't want to miss out on the sports this winter, or our favorite shows. I have been researching all the portable systems, and just not sure which one will work the best for us. I'm leaning towards the Pathway X2, but it is Dish only. Not a deal breaker, but were used to Direct TV at home, and the format might be easy for us to use. Also looking at the Winegard carryout.

The Dish and Direct tv traveler models are pretty expensive. I haven't ruled them out, but the portables are half the cost.

Can any of you give me a good report on the X2 and the carryout models ?

Also which service do you think is best for traveling around the country for 2 years.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #2

Keep in mind that all of the portables are standard definition on Directv. Not sure about DISH. I have the Traveler and have been extremely happy with it. It is HD and I use my DVR which is nice for recording.
go4dsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are Dish customers. We use the Tailgater and the 211Z receiver. It does have HD, which Direct does not. We are using it right now and it works well. All I have to do is set it somewhere where it has a clear view of the southwest sky, turn it on and call Dish to beam me the local channels. We use it a lot.

I can also add memory and then record programs.

Hope this helps.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
We are Dish customers. We use the Tailgater and the 211Z receiver. It does have HD, which Direct does not. We are using it right now and it works well. All I have to do is set it somewhere where it has a clear view of the southwest sky, turn it on and call Dish to beam me the local channels. We use it a lot.

I can also add memory and then record programs.

Hope this helps.
We have the same setup except for the older model 211K receiver. We have used it all over the country and never had a problem. I like the portable dish much better than a roof mounted antenna because I can position it up to 100 feet from the coach to get clear of trees etc. The only drawback is that it receives only Western arc satellites. While these are visible all over the lower 48, some East coast stations send their HD signal only to the Eastern arc, so in some places we are limited to SD for local stations.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you saying that if I go with a Tailgater system 'about $400' using the same Direct TV we have at home, that We will NOT get HD???
HoBo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoBo Bill View Post
Are you saying that if I go with a Tailgater system 'about $400' using the same Direct TV we have at home, that We will NOT get HD???

You would be 100% correct in that. Direct TV only provides HD if you have a big honking stick and brick dish mounted on your unit, Im sure you have seen them in RV parks.. Direct TV people all have the beacon that looks like its communicating with mars. Dish allows you to use the itty biitty portable self pointing apparatus. Direct TV's birds are so old and outdated you need to point at several satellites on an arcaic band to get HD. Guess which one has Direct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	68085  
Incognito. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We're long time DirecTv DVR and HD Winegard Travelr users and have been very happy with the product and the service.

However, if I were someone who wanted the flexibility of being able to park under trees, etc... I think I would probably go with the Dish Network and portable carry out set up. Cheaper, simpler and lets you get a signal almost wherever you park.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #8

Well thanks folks. Jeez! Still a lot to think about. Does Dish TV get the sports channels? I'm sure they do, but I don't know. I understand the Direct TV and portables are only SD, and not HD, which is a real bummer. I don't have a problem with dish, I just want to get a set up that works good, and not waste my money. I'm still pretty much sure I want a portable rig, so if there are trees or something blocking my view I can move it.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #9

Tailgater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post
Well thanks folks. Jeez! Still a lot to think about. Does Dish TV get the sports channels? I'm sure they do, but I don't know. I understand the Direct TV and portables are only SD, and not HD, which is a real bummer. I don't have a problem with dish, I just want to get a set up that works good, and not waste my money. I'm still pretty much sure I want a portable rig, so if there are trees or something blocking my view I can move it.
Here is a link to the Dish site that tells you what you get with the Tailgater.
Tailgater - Take TV Outdoors | DISH
I have just bought one... (used for $300) Tried it out at home. Not a fast set up process, but I was more than happy with the performance once it locked into and scanned the channels.
WinnieJurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Can any of you give me a good report on the X2 and the carryout models ?
While the DISH Tailgater has been the HD automatic portable of choice for some time, the Winegard Pathway X2 is the new kid on the block.

The X2 get acquire both DISH's Eastern and Western arc satellites. The Tailgater can only "see" the Western arc sats. This just means that it should be easier to tune in DISH programming no matter where you camp in the country.

Also, the X2 allows you to connect two TV receivers while the Tailgater only permits one.
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #11

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Love DISH

Yes, you can get any DISH package you want and you pay by the month. No contracts. We got the 200 package so we could get Red Zone for football which is a must for us! Plus all the college games you can digest in one day!! When you are ready to turn it off, you just ignore the next monthly bill and go on your way. I agree the portable satellite is WAY better than the dome on top. Don't have to worry about trees or other obstructions. Once in a while you are in the forest and there is no clear view of the sky. Oh well. Hazard of boondocking!! While we were in Key West for the winter, I just called DISH and they hooked me up with the Miami stations for my "locals" as there are NO tv stations in Key West (unless you count the one station that just tells you were to eat on the island! Or some Cuban stations if you understand that)
varankins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #12

Keep it coming. I appreciate all the real world information. I think I am leaning towards the Pathway X2 due to it's antenna size, and 2 outputs. I may not need 2 outlets or Dish and Direct TV service but it is nice to have options.

I am concerned about having it on the ground however. I realize that you can buy a tripod, which I no doubt will do, but a lot of the RV parks I have stayed at are pretty tight, and the antenna might get in the way. Plus these parks have water sprinkler systems that drench the grass around the TT. Don't want to ruin a nice dish. Any thoughts on this? I'm probably over thinking the whole thing, but I am retired military, and I usually make everything bomb proof, and over engineer everything I put together. It's a sickness I know. Ha Ha!
Old 07-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
They are designed to be out in the weather, so I don't think the sprinklers will hurt anything. Probably wouldn't want to blast it with a pressure washer, but the sprinklers are just a little rain shower.

One of the other benefits to the X2 is the size of the Reflector. It gathers more signal than the smaller portables and will perform much better in the rain.

You can also buy the X2 in a package including a new 211Z receiver.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I am concerned about having it on the ground however. I realize that you can buy a tripod, which I no doubt will do, but a lot of the RV parks I have stayed at are pretty tight, and the antenna might get in the way. Plus these parks have water sprinkler systems that drench the grass around the TT. Don't want to ruin a nice dish. Any thoughts on this? I'm probably over thinking the whole thing, but I am retired military, and I usually make everything bomb proof, and over engineer everything I put together. It's a sickness I know. Ha Ha!
I would assume they are rainproof.

Note: TVforMyRV and I posted at the same time.

I have Dish and use a SK-1000 Trav'ler on my roof with a 211K receiver. I carry a Tailgater as backup for when the Trav'ler is blocked by trees, etc.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, satellite