Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
In case you don't know - if you give them an address in Los Angeles or New York City, the local channels there will follow you all across the country
I don't think so. Our congress passed a law about 15 years ago and they had to go to spot beams. There used to be a company called My Distant Networks that would give you NY or LA locals for a fee. I don't think they are around anymore. Besides the only thing I want networks for is local news and weather.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradc344 View Post
Hi, I have dish and use 2 wallys in my coach and they work with no trouble just select the state you are in on the pop up sceen and in about 5/ 10 min you are up and running with the area channels
the wally is about $70 each but they also work at your house I got rid of 2 receivers that were on rental and own the wally so you save money their so they have paid for themselves in less then a year
What is a wally? Is that the DVR? What kind of dish do you have? Don't you pay an access fee for the wallys? This sounds way better than what I have.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I've been a Dish customer for 20 years. When we travel, I take my home reciever with us. We use a tripod and a 1000.2 antenna. It takes about 15 minutes to set up and aim.

To change locations, I use the internet "Chat", I have a short text script that I simply copy paste, update the "Service" location info, hit send, and usually by the time I get the dish pointed, the new location has migrated down and I'm good.

Using our home Dishnet VIP222 receiver while on the road – 1999 Southwind 35S

OK, you are doing what I do except I have an auto antenna on the roof, a tail gater for first back up and the 1000 on a tripod for second back up. My primary receiver is a VIP 211K which is HD and dual also. My rooftop unit is dual and I have a second feed to the BR TV. But when I move from one "spot" to another I have to call. So you do what? Go on the DISH web site and start a chat and tell them to relocate your locals? Good idea. The call takes forever. But, my primary frustration is that once I make the request they say it's done and then screw it up. I would say that 50% of the time they get it wrong and I have to call back. Are you batting 1000 doing the chat? If so, I'll sure try it.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #18

Hi the pop up window comes on when the dish antenna is connected to the receiver and it ask what state Im in click the state and it starts up searching for the satellites.

The wally is a dish receiver no dvr just a small receiver work , just add them to your dish account for $7.00 each not sure what is called but the remotes work with the box in a small cabinet with the door closed
bradc344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #19

Not being able to get your home stations or choose networks from anywhere in the nation is just another example of government sticking their nose in where they had no business (of course they were just doing a "favor" for their real constituents - big business.)
plain ol Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:00 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hate Sat. TV
Expensive= $1000/yr
Too many channels paying for don't use
Too many commercials
Too much repeat programming
Most programming is junk
Too hard to set up everytime we move RV
Aming and resetting receiver (can take a half hour or more)
Calls to change local channels
Trees always in way
Bad weather effecting
Receiver and dish uses power even when not in use.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain ol Bil View Post
Not being able to get your home stations or choose networks from anywhere in the nation is just another example of government sticking their nose in where they had no business (of course they were just doing a "favor" for their real constituents - big business.)
Let's see . . . on the Off-Topic Meter I would rate your post as a 10 (Totally Off Topic).
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Hi the pop up window comes on when the dish antenna is connected to the receiver and it ask what state Im in click the state and it starts up searching for the satellites.

The wally is a dish receiver no dvr just a small receiver work , just add them to your dish account for $7.00 each not sure what is called but the remotes work with the box in a small cabinet with the door closed
The remotes are great as they are rf so you don't have to point them at the receiver. We watch tv in the bedroom using the receiver in the living area and also the outside tv. I have all three wired so we can watch any of the three. Our tailgater has hookup for 2 receivers also so we can watch separate channels if needed.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Hate Sat. TV
Expensive= $1000/yr
Too many channels paying for don't use
Too many commercials
Too much repeat programming
Most programming is junk
Too hard to set up everytime we move RV
Aming and resetting receiver (can take a half hour or more)
Calls to change local channels
Trees always in way
Bad weather effecting
Receiver and dish uses power even when not in use.
I pay for the channels I want, the rest are just filler.
Too many commercials compared to what? OTA TV?
I don't know what you watch but there is a whole lot pf quality programming.
Too hard is a relative thing. Have you tried aiming the OTA antenna lately.
Trees in the way, same effect with OTA antenna.
Bad weather affects OTA signals too.

If you are spending over $1000 a year and are this unhappy, the problem isn't with satellite TV>
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #24

Quote:

Never had a Dish receiver ask what state I am in. Is that something with the Tailgater dish?
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #25

Carolina Campers
We got our DIRECTV while still living in the S&B. We took the DVR receiver with us to the 5er that is now home. It's a Wineguard Traveler. We updated our billing address but hadn't bothered to update the service address. As a result, we still get the same local channels we got while still in the S&B, including the local area commercials.

We actually prefer the HD antenna. We've discovered ME.TV!
Old 07-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Let's see . . . on the Off-Topic Meter I would rate your post as a 10 (Totally Off Topic).
Actually his post is exactly on target. Absent congress action the technology would allow us to get any locals anywhere. It was that way until I think 2002, might have been 2003. The real complaints were from local TV stations who felt they were losing a sizable audience share to out of town locals. When it happened I was in Naples Florida and just lost my locals from ATL. I must have had 20 calls back and forth with DISH and nobody knew what the problem was. They even sent me a new receiver. Then after a couple weeks I stumbled on to a guy who knew what was going on. If I hadn't been so mad it would have been funny.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #27

OK Y'all. Yesterday I read the responses, thank you one and all. I took to heart the ones about using the chat to change the locals. So, since my problem had still not been resolver I tried chat.

After a few minutes of waiting and going through the security stuff which was as bad as the security stuff on the phone, I got into a chat. The lady (at least she had a female name) took down all my information and had me explain my problem. After about 5 minuets or so she informed me that she could not help me with technical problems and that I would have to wait for a technical expert.

After a several minute wait anther person with a male name this time got on and asked me all the things the previous person had asked. When I asked him if he had the text of the previous conversation and could he just get the info from it he indicated he had it but couldn't use it. Anyway, he and I exchanged messages for another 30 minutes or so and at the end he decided that my problem would require a senior tech and that I should stand by for one.

I waited around 10 minutes. When I started waiting my que number was 1, then it changed to I was being re-quewed. When I got tired of waiting I just logged off. They never tried calling or emailing me so I guess I'm on my own. Soooo, my experience with the chat was similar with my experience using the phone.

Having heard no glowing endorsements for Direct I guess I'll stay with DISH. Some one suggested I upgrade my equipment and I will take a look at that.I have coveted the traveler antenna set up for some time but reasoned that I can buy three of the domed auto seeks for what a traveler cost but I may have to re-think that. I now think my present problem is due to one out put on the roof auto seek not working properly which results in the BR receiver getting only satellite 129.

So thanks again for the feed back.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady View Post
We got our DIRECTV while still living in the S&B. We took the DVR receiver with us to the 5er that is now home. It's a Wineguard Traveler. We updated our billing address but hadn't bothered to update the service address. As a result, we still get the same local channels we got while still in the S&B, including the local area commercials.

We actually prefer the HD antenna. We've discovered ME.TV!
If you are still getting your home locals you must still be within 300 miles of home. or you have fallen through the system in which case you probably don't get to keep that if they figure it out.

Tags
satellite, satellite tv