Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2017, 09:31 PM   #29

Stanley,

I just changed my service location with Dish by phone the other day. The call took less than 10 min, and that includes the automated prompts to get you to an operator. Use the phone menu to get technical support. When the person answers you tell them "hi, I have a mobile Dish system in my motor home and I would like to change my service address". Hopefully the next question will be asking the zip code of your new location. It then takes about 10-15 minutes for the change to go thru. You should then get local channels to wherever you are.

I have never had Direct TV, but I've had my Dish account for 3 years for RV use and am quite happy with them. Every once in a while something gets screwed up, but in general it's a great solution for our use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyz View Post
OK Y'all. Yesterday I read the responses, thank you one and all. I took to heart the ones about using the chat to change the locals. So, since my problem had still not been resolver I tried chat.

After a few minutes of waiting and going through the security stuff which was as bad as the security stuff on the phone, I got into a chat. The lady (at least she had a female name) took down all my information and had me explain my problem. After about 5 minuets or so she informed me that she could not help me with technical problems and that I would have to wait for a technical expert.

After a several minute wait anther person with a male name this time got on and asked me all the things the previous person had asked. When I asked him if he had the text of the previous conversation and could he just get the info from it he indicated he had it but couldn't use it. Anyway, he and I exchanged messages for another 30 minutes or so and at the end he decided that my problem would require a senior tech and that I should stand by for one.

I waited around 10 minutes. When I started waiting my que number was 1, then it changed to I was being re-quewed. When I got tired of waiting I just logged off. They never tried calling or emailing me so I guess I'm on my own. Soooo, my experience with the chat was similar with my experience using the phone.

Having heard no glowing endorsements for Direct I guess I'll stay with DISH. Some one suggested I upgrade my equipment and I will take a look at that.I have coveted the traveler antenna set up for some time but reasoned that I can buy three of the domed auto seeks for what a traveler cost but I may have to re-think that. I now think my present problem is due to one out put on the roof auto seek not working properly which results in the BR receiver getting only satellite 129.

So thanks again for the feed back.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2017, 05:57 AM   #30
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Local channels are transmitted on very sharp pointed beams that only cover a small geographical area. When you change your service address, your receiver is reprogrammed to look for a specific spot beam on a specific transponder.

This link is a gold mine of maps, overlays, and channel info for anyone interested.

James Long .name

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:05 AM   #31

Great link ! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Local channels are transmitted on very sharp pointed beams that only cover a small geographical area. When you change your service address, your receiver is reprogrammed to look for a specific spot beam on a specific transponder.

This link is a gold mine of maps, overlays, and channel info for anyone interested.

James Long .name

Old 07-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyz View Post
I don't think so. Our congress passed a law about 15 years ago and they had to go to spot beams. There used to be a company called My Distant Networks that would give you NY or LA locals for a fee. I don't think they are around anymore. Besides the only thing I want networks for is local news and weather.
RV Vagabond is correct.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
In case you don't know - if you give them an address in Los Angeles or New York City, the local channels there will follow you all across the country
For Dish, the Los Angeles and New York markets are spot beams. There are CONUS LA and NY channels but they are not available to subscribers.

Bob&AnnaMari is correct.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:31 AM   #34

This thread is starting to peter pout so maybe this will not be helpful.

In two years as an RV'er and 20 years in my S&B with DirecTV have never experienced a problem like some have described.

The equipment always works pretty much without a problem out of the box. I have a Winegard Traveler on the MH which works very well with my DVR that I leave in the MH when sitting idle. I have a direct phone number to the department that can change your physical address to get local channels. They always answer right away, no wait times. I have the entire address ready and it takes perhaps 3 minutes to make the change. If travelling, I don't change it every stop as there are plenty of other things to watch.

I can post this number if anybody asks - It is in the motorhome which I will not visit for a week or so - just let me know.

I guess the bottom line is that I have been lucky, maybe being a long term customer is helpful with them? I doubt anyone on the phone knows that when we are discussing something. Coupled with my AT&T cell service the discounts are pretty good as well. I haven't had to rely on their technical support to solve problems as there have been no problems - either at home or while travelling.

I would recommend DirecTV for use in an RV - most especially if you already have it at home - If you have been a customer for a while, you can use your upgrade rights to get a free box in your coach - I think mine is only an additional 6 dollars a month for the additional service. Same program lineup as we have at home. Petty good experience all things considered.

Just my experience to give you a baseline.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #35

I bought the Winegard Pathway II, it will receive the Eastern or Western Arc Sat's, your choice, the Eastern Arc sat has all my Local HD channels any where I go. I just take a receiver from home and Plug it in the Camper. No extra charges and no calls to Dish.
danny285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
I bought the Winegard Pathway II, it will receive the Eastern or Western Arc Sat's, your choice, the Eastern Arc sat has all my Local HD channels any where I go. I just take a receiver from home and Plug it in the Camper. No extra charges and no calls to Dish.
I doubt you will get HD Locals from the EA in California.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #37

Quote:
Are you 100 percent on this. Are you saying that outside 300 miles from your home u r getting the home locals on satellites 72 and 61.5. I use those at home but dont think ive ever tried them on the road.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #38

I doubt you will get HD Locals from the EA in California

I will never have any plans on going to Ca, I went there once a week for 15 years and will never go back.
danny285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:35 PM   #39

I have the same set up and once I get more than a few hundred miles from Orlando I no longer get the Orlando local channels. I get a message saying something like "this channel is outside your viewing area". That's when I call Dish and tell them the zip code of wherever I am at and I get the local channels in the area near whatever campground I'm at.

Quote:
Old 07-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #40

California is not the issue. Locals are in spot beams mostly around a 200 mile circle. This is especially true with HD Locals, any HD Locals, even not yours.

Right now my Service Address is in Maine and I am receiving Maine HD Locals because I ma due north of Maine. I could not get the Maine HD Locals in Prince Edward Island, or any Locals from the EA. None if the spot beams go out that way.

So no, you are not getting "has all my Local HD channels any where I go", unless you never leave your spot beam.

Now I could receive SD Locals off of the WA satellites. The spot beams for SD are much larger than HD.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #41

Quote:
He is absolutely correct. I have the same antenna and have used it to receive my locals throughout the eastern half of the US. My new coach has the Weingard Tareveller in motion on the roof and it will NOT allow locals. The Pathway travels with me as backup and also for the rare times we can't get OTA locals for news and weather.

I understand, but can't corroborate that the Tailgater will allow locals anywhere as well.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #42

The Tailgater is more limited as it is only good for the WA satellites.

Lets just take the Maryland HD Local spotbeam which reaches from middle New York down to the southern Virginia border and from the western Maryland tip to the coast.

Again, you are not receiving HD locals anywhere on the eastern half of the US.

Having traveled through 41 states and the 4 eastern Canadian provinces, I can attest to the limitations of HD Locals and spotbeams.

Now SD locals have spotbeams with much larger patterns. But not all markets are duplicated HD on one set of Satellites and SD on the other.

Tags
satellite, satellite tv