Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #1

Satellite TV in your RV

I've had DISH for 15 years or so and I have thousands invested in their equipment. But, I am fed up with their junky equipment and their total lack of any competent tech support. Plus, the gambit I have to run just to move my local channels (networks) is not worth the effort.

So for you DIRECT users: would it be worth the money for me to switch?

Are the national networks (ABC NBC CBS FOX) on a 300 mile spot?

Must you call tech support to get them moved as you travel outside the 300 miles?

Can you get to tech support in fewer than 10 minutes pushing buttons and listening to voice messages?

When you get tech support do they know what they are doing?

Does the equipment work without constant "rebooting"?

Thank you for your input.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #2

dish

Hi, I have dish and use 2 wallys in my coach and they work with no trouble just select the state you are in on the pop up sceen and in about 5/ 10 min you are up and running with the area channels
the wally is about $70 each but they also work at your house I got rid of 2 receivers that were on rental and own the wally so you save money their so they have paid for themselves in less then a year
bradc344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:34 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been a Dish customer for 20 years. When we travel, I take my home reciever with us. We use a tripod and a 1000.2 antenna. It takes about 15 minutes to set up and aim.

To change locations, I use the internet "Chat", I have a short text script that I simply copy paste, update the "Service" location info, hit send, and usually by the time I get the dish pointed, the new location has migrated down and I'm good.

Using our home Dishnet VIP222 receiver while on the road – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #4

I can not tell you if it is worth the money or not. That will vary from person to person.

I like my direct tv for what i pay for it. I am locked in at about 65dollars a month for HD sat service. No hbo or showtime or any of that stuff. I get all the sports stations like fs1-fs2-nbcsn and such that i want. I have it to follow sports and news and because to many campgrounds have bad cable packages and are not HD.

Yes they have a spot beam for locals. Sometimes i dont bother changing my location because i can get local on my ota antenna. When i do have to change location with them i have found using the online chat feature is less painful than calling in. When i do call i can navigate the silly menus to get it changed in about 5 or 10 min. When i do change locations i am very clear that we are only changing my location and not the billing address. They get it right 90% of the time, I still go check the billing addy later just to be sure.

Tech support is hit or miss. Only time i deal with them is when i call to change locations and most times they know what they are doing, once in a while not so much. My stuff works fine unless i have something blocking my view of the sats and then I dont need to call tech support, I know what is wrong. Where i am at currently there ar now two of us with direct tv and roof mounted antennas and our stuff works..two have roof mounted dish and it does not work, one has (dish) with an antenna he sets up on the ground and after some work he got it working. In my very unscientific observation direct seems to not be as fussy as dish when there might be a little tree cover compared to dish.

Yes it works without constant rebooting. Sometimes i have to reboot to get the channel lineup to refresh and be current but that is because I have some trees between me and the sat so i loose the guide now and again. Just the guide, still get the channels, just does not tell me what is on....not a big deal i know what channel the game or race or whatever i want to watch is on most times.

Biggest problem i have is bill creep. Need to pay attn to the bill and what specials and such you are using and when they end and what happens when they end.

I own my box, purchased online but i still get to pay a box rental fee. When i point out to them i own the box it becomes an accses fee or something else.
every time i call them i ask them to justify that fee and almost everytime they call it a box rental or lease fee.....and then i tell them to remove it because i own the box...and it stays every time under a different name or defination of what is for. it is only 5 or so dollars a month
I do it just because it is amusing to me to get the person to say it is a box lease or rental fee and then have to backtrack.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #5

I also have had Dish for many years and have been generally satisfied. I currently have 2 Hopper w/ Sling in my house and 2 in my motorhome. I am using a Winegard Trav'ler for my motorhome antenna. I started with Direct TV about 20 years ago when I had to buy the Sony receivers for about $700 each and eventually ditched them as their customer service was terrible and never looked back.
scrowell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have Direct at home, just take two reveivers out of the stick house when I go. I have SD but they work fine with the HD dish on thr MH. The MH came with two HD receivers and I could add them to my account or upgrade to HD at home and use them in the house and MH.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradc344 View Post
Hi, I have dish and use 2 wallys in my coach and they work with no trouble just select the state you are in on the pop up sceen and in about 5/ 10 min you are up and running with the area channels

the wally is about $70 each but they also work at your house I got rid of 2 receivers that were on rental and own the wally so you save money their so they have paid for themselves in less then a year

What pop up screen?

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
What pop up screen?
I know the one time i was helping a guy set up his dish on dish network....we set the location on the set up screens to his location but it did not change his local stations...........we still had to call in to get that changed.

I might be wrong but i assumed that was just to give the auto searching dish a general start angle and azimuth to search for the sats.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:12 AM   #9

DirectV will NOT help you with RV equipment or service. You must use someone like Winegard. I went through a nightmare this spring with them. Even having the service interrupted because I wouldn't pay for equipment that the Tech would not give me because it was going in an RV. DirectV is not RV friendly.
TheQuades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gave up on satellite TV. Got tired of price increases, poor programming an poor customer service and general hassle, just not worth the effort and cost for me. Did the same at stick and bricks also.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuades View Post
DirectV will NOT help you with RV equipment or service. You must use someone like Winegard. I went through a nightmare this spring with them. Even having the service interrupted because I wouldn't pay for equipment that the Tech would not give me because it was going in an RV. DirectV is not RV friendly.
I have had good service in my rv. They will not touch a winegard antenna but will help with a manual dish set up and aiming (at least the first time). Only challenge is you must change your address to where you are for service on-site.
bobsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #12

You can have Direct tv send you your local channels anywhere....the problem is when I winter in Arizona, if I select that, the wife here at home wouldn't get the locals.......Living with trees all around, Dish's network isn't available, blocked by trees, so I'm only able to get SD Direct....my tv's are new enough that the picture is fine....I use a King Flex auto portable ant, that works with Direct, Dish, and Bell.......I bought 2 receivers off E bay that were owned units, not leased, and they stay in trailer.......cost $7 a month which I leave the service on all year, but Direct also has a pay as you go thing, so during winter, one could have that service interrupted..... so for locals, I use the batwing.....and with hav'n 2 receivers, if D/W is along, we can watch different channels as the Flex supports two receivers....when going to East coast, once there, had to call them to get service......have found that special phone number for direct that gets me right to tech service ....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
In case you don't know - if you give them an address in Los Angeles or New York City, the local channels there will follow you all across the country
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyz View Post
I've had DISH for 15 years or so and I have thousands invested in their equipment. But, I am fed up with their junky equipment and their total lack of any competent tech support. Plus, the gambit I have to run just to move my local channels (networks) is not worth the effort.

So for you DIRECT users: would it be worth the money for me to switch?

Are the national networks (ABC NBC CBS FOX) on a 300 mile spot?

Must you call tech support to get them moved as you travel outside the 300 miles?

Can you get to tech support in fewer than 10 minutes pushing buttons and listening to voice messages?

When you get tech support do they know what they are doing?

Does the equipment work without constant "rebooting"?

Thank you for your input.
When it comes to Dish equipment, there is none better. The Hopper 3 is way out of the DirecTV league. The only rebooting I get is the middle of the night reboot to insure the latest software is present.

I find the Dish support is good. I only need Dish support for changing the Service Address for Broadcast Channels. I use chat and it is a 5 minute job at most.

Maybe I am better at requesting Service Address changes. Not being prepared with your account number and other information can drag the process. I use Chat because it eliminates speaking and hearing problems on both ends.

You will find changing spot beamed Broadcast channels more difficult with DirecTV, they are not geared for it. But you can get DNS broadcast channels.

When is the last time you changed equipment? I m 13 years with Dish and in the fourth generation of equipment without buying anything from Dish. I do have a couple of thousand in two Trav'ler dishes and ground tripod. But I would not change for anything less than a Hopper 3.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, satellite tv